• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Highbury Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mini

I went to the Arsenal vs Chelsea game yesterday, I was completely confused on the Highbury Library idea. It may be quiet at times, but West Stand Lower is certainly not Libraric. When Reyes had scored all three stands were chanting at the same time, it was astounding.

Can someone explain the Highbury Library fantasy?

JazzG

Established Member
Libraric :? Now thats a word you don't hear very often.

I hear the North Bank is usually quite quiet.

A

Anonymous

Of course when we have scored a goal, and especailly when we have come from behind against Chelsea the atmosphere is great, it is when we are losing, or playing badly that the atmosphere is crap.

The atmosphere at Wolves the other week was fantastic, they created a really intimidating atmosphere which Highbury is a million miles away from.

The problem at Highbury is that the support is not getting any younger. Very few season tickets and TRS are given out each year, which means the age of the supporter goes up - older people are less likely to create a noise. The proof of this is in the carling cup, when the new younger fans went to the game and the atmosphere was very good.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
That maybe true to an extent, I think the acoustics depend on where you sit. For example, I was in the North Upper for the Rotherham game and you could have heard a pin drop up there. Cut to Wolves in the CC and I was in the East Lower near the back, it felt pretty loud. Same thing happend when I was in the West Lower near the back for the Boro FA Cup game.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Sol said:
Of course when we have scored a goal, and especailly when we have come from behind against Chelsea the atmosphere is great, it is when we are losing, or playing badly that the atmosphere is crap.

Yeah, I agree, It was when we were 0-1 behind that we needed the support and it was prettydamn quiet. No one likes to be losing but the guys nearly always come through, so what's with the stress?

I agree that it is the older fans (not all of them) that are "older men behaving nicely" and are feeling peer pressure from their older friends that singing is a bit .. well "plastic" and 'us die hard fans are too cool for that'.

Away games these fans are awesome though. To give then a lot of credit.

More younger fans will be there when AG is built and the noise level will go up.

Soler

Established Member
A lot of the noise is lost because the corners aren't filled in. Grounds like Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford seem louder than they actually are because noise isn't escaping.

Laxness

It is a shame that the atmosphere isn't as...loud...as other matches. I was watching the Madrid v Valencia game, and the atmosphere was amazing. My brother was creeped out by some of the noises made! And this was when it was 0-0.

Still, Mad Jens has a point. AG will be awesome though.

A

Anonymous

dear o dear matey, you for one can not comment on atmosphere, i seem to remember you posting the other day that it was your FIRST arsenal game (correst me if im wrong). so having only been to one game, let me point out some much needed facts.......

1.highbury is 75% filled with kids,women and yuppies who dont care about atmosphere or even truely care about arsenal.

2. every team in the world sing after a goal for f*ck sake !!!

3. the idea of a fan is not to sit and be entertained like majority at highbury do. these lot sit there for 85 minutes moaning about everything, then when we score they use all there 150,000 pound a year earnings on 100 tickets for the next match and deprive proper supporters of seats (abit of an exageration but u get my point) they are fickle as f*ck. the idea of a fan is to SUPPORT not be entertained. the idea is to support your team by singing and chanting and shouting. this creates what is known as the 12th man, sadly arsenal havent heard that for 8 years (apart from for 20 seconds after we score)

i dont blame you for not being to many matches its not your fault, and i hope you enjoyed it. but take my word for it, HIGHBURY IS A LIBRARY.

The Mini

hatespurs, I used the Reyes goals as an example. Now I cant remember off by heart the other amazing times, we had all our stands singing while we still one-nil down.

And as for it being my first game, you seriously read me wrong. This is my first first team game, I was at Arsenal vs ManUre in the Worthless Cup a few years back, I couldn't speak after that and neither could anyone really. The reserve game I went may be something of a bias to me, it was the last game I went to before Chelski and me and my mate were the only people singing apart from this guy with downs further down the road, but he was making up lyrics to impress AW a few rows down. :D

Spartan

The Mini if you dont go regularly you cannot tell...its no good people singing in just the chelski game...it has to be week in week out, which its not...a few games back i can rememeber hearing the players shouting which shows you how quiet it is!!!

Clock End doesnt sing like they used to and the North Bank has turned into a mothers meeting!!

Because its become so expensive to go every week, its become a spectator sport for yuppie types more and more...your average Joe Bloggs cant afford it anymore which is sad. :roll:

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I blame Nick Hornby. It's been a downwards spirsl ever since he wrote his book and football became 'popular'.

The thing is, it's not an Arsenal problem, it's a football programme. I go to most games home and away, and it's always the away fans that are willing to make the most noise. Even with the (supposed) great atmosphere the geordies create, we make more noise than them up here.

A

Anonymous

spartan.....brilliant point, the lazy bastards just cant be bothered singing and it is a total disgrace.

feeling peer pressure from their older friends that singing is a bit .. well "plastic" and 'us die hard fans are too cool for that'.

totally disagree too be frank. i am die hard and i dont mean that i just buy every home kit and a program at every match if you get what i mean !! me and the lads, the proper lads i mite add, love singing and supporting the club. you must remmeber though we dont sing arsenal club songs that are promoted to yuppies and families. we sing songs like "my old man" which for anyone who dont know it goes.......
"my old man, said be a tottenham fan, i said f*ck off b*stard your a c*nt"

What I've removed is not funny and certainly not acceptable. :

the club has ruined the support. they have kicked out the working class males who used to be regulars. these people are all now viewed as "ruffians" just because they shout and swear and dont just sit quietly like the yuppies would like us to. because of the lack of middle class males and the huge increase in kids,families,women,yuppies and buisnessman and foreigners (this is all too apparent in the north bank) the noise has deteriorated.

to the lad who started this thread, i did misread you, but still that was "your first, first team game" so am i right in presuming you havent been to a league game ??? due to this you have only seen cup games, where there mite be abit more of an atmosphere. but league games the stadium is filled with mugs who can only sing "thierry henry" for one rendition then give up !!!

BRING BACK TERRACES !!!
"north bank sing, your having a laugh, north bank sing your having a laugh" !!!! :p

The Mini

hatespurs said:
also another good 'un is "lets all gas the jews" then everyone in the crowd goes silent and all you can hear is 15,000 people going "hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" like the sound of gas. :lol:

That's actually not funny. I'm Jewish, and half my family were gassed you ****************************************** That's the only f*cking way I can show my anger.

The Mini

And you saying foreigners is definatly wrong. I went with a Gibraltan on Sunday, he was making more noise than any of the front row Rude boys. My half bro is Israeli and is certainly not quiet, he certainly made the most noise in our area.

Soler

Established Member
hatespurs said:
"my old man, said be a tottenham fan, i said f*ck off b*stard your a c*nt"
also another good 'un is "lets all gas the jews" then everyone in the crowd goes silent and all you can hear is 15,000 people going "hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" like the sound of gas.

Should anyone be impressed by that? Wow, you're chanting Anti-Semetic chants ... not a Feyenoord fan as well, either?

A

Anonymous

its called stereotyping matey, majority of foreigners, namely asians dont sing a f*cking thing. and please dont argue with me on this. i have been following arsenal for 14 years, and have seen with my own eyes.
also if you dont like the song, then f*ck off and support the turnips down 7 sisters road (too all you no nothing knob heads that means Tottenham Hotspur Football Club).
that song is sung at arsenal vs **** matches. its part of being a gooner, we hate the yids. and i dont give a toss if my how family was jew i would sing it, as its called taunting the opposition !!

Adam

Established Member
That's one chant that shows the bad side of Footy. We have a Jewish background at our club too (David Dein and Danny Fiszcman) and they must be disgusted by that. It's just plain out of order, even if they are the ****. That one is way over the line, despite the intensity of hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom