• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hooliganism and Arsenal (I know I bring this up again)

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Don't lock it straight away please! I know I have asked this before but it got locked to quickly. I am not for hooliganism just wondering. Maybe move it to Football talk in generaly but don't lock it please?

I remeber now that I had a thread a while back where I asked about if Arsenal had a firm because I had recntly wathced Green street hooligans. I unfortunalty got locked so I wanted to say that I despise hooligans and firmly object their presence.

But my main question was why does Arsenal don't have a strong hooligan culture? Have we done any work to limit their presence because then that is something to be proud of nad could probably help other team with it. And Arsenal if I have understand it correctly comes from a working class background exactly the enviroment that breeds this kind of behavoir.

So 3 questions.
1. has there ever been a strong firm connected to Arsenal?

2. Has there been work to combat their excistence?

3. If there has not been a strong firm what are the main factors of its abscence?

A

Anonymous

i reckon its a good idea , but ive never heard of a arsenal firm but if we could put one together ill suply the stone island gear pm for my number

James

Established Member
I'm quite unsure myself, so i don't want to give my view when i could be incorrect. I'm sure there are/is Arsenal firm(s), but how strong and big they are in context to others i really wouldnt know. I guess hoolagnism is something that has never really come into my time at going to Arsenal games. Let's say though that the boys come out when it really counts.

I reckon there is one man on here who'll be able to answer your questions though haha.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
PiresMustGo said:
i reckon its a good idea , but ive never heard of a arsenal firm but if we could put one together ill suply the stone island gear pm for my number

I hope you are being irnonic otherwise this thread will be locked for sure.

btw what is Stone Island gear?

Unbeaten

Arsenal like most other teams had quite a lot of Hooligans in the 70's and 80's.

Not 100% sure though.

Spike

Established Member
The Herd?

I was told this by my friend, apparently we have quite a reputable firm, however he's someone who many people associate with Bullsh*t. Arsenal v Galatasaray springs to mind.

mjkgooner

I was thinkng about this the other day so asked my dad as he went to every home game and most away games from 1968 to 1995 (then was priced out :cry: ) He always said that he grew up on the north bank and when i asked him about a arsenal firm he said there never was a big organised one but of course there was always a group of a few rowdy lads who always looked to start trouble, also heard a funny story from my mum. We were playing manure during the 70's and my mum and he mates couldn't get in and so went and bricked the united coaches and were chased up Holloway Road and had to hide from the police in what is now the Quays Pub on Holloway Road.

geoffreye2

the herd is the arsenal firm but its more of a football culture thing nowadays, only a few take it to violence, you can find out most of this on the net

Gurgen

Established Member
The Herd have a forum, if you ignore the silly racism it can be pretty funny at times.

AFCG7

Established Member
Certain Spud fans might be able to answer that too.
Liverpool in the Cup in 85 or 86..some of them scousers would tell you as well.. we had a proper firm in them days.. i'm not condoning everything they did but they saved our fans' ass a few times .
NOwadays we're just a bunch of softies :D

TheEconomist

Established Member
i have seen the movie, i think it was really good, but i dont understand why the man utd fans chant " who the **** are man utd" ...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I thought Football factory was better seemed more true somhow and showed more about the stupidity of hooligans

Allyboy

Established Member
Might be wrong but I think there was one called "the Gooners" too.

I have seen that Herd forum and was somewhat surprised to see a good number of them come from around my area, which is about as home counties, middle England as you can get!

I started following football as a kid when hooliganism (at least mainstream hooliganism) was dieing out so im not really in a position to comment any further.

Im sure Rocky might be able to help you out, in fact bring back the Guvnor as well! :wink:

RockyRocastle

Established Member
YeahBee said:
Don't lock it straight away please! I know I have asked this before but it got locked to quickly. I am not for hooliganism just wondering. Maybe move it to Football talk in generaly but don't lock it please?

I remeber now that I had a thread a while back where I asked about if Arsenal had a firm because I had recntly wathced Green street hooligans. I unfortunalty got locked so I wanted to say that I despise hooligans and firmly object their presence.

But my main question was why does Arsenal don't have a strong hooligan culture? Have we done any work to limit their presence because then that is something to be proud of nad could probably help other team with it. And Arsenal if I have understand it correctly comes from a working class background exactly the enviroment that breeds this kind of behavoir.

So 3 questions.
1. has there ever been a strong firm connected to Arsenal?

Yes.

2. Has there been work to combat their excistence?

Yes.

3. If there has not been a strong firm what are the main factors of its abscence?

80's Arsenal had a very big hooligan following, for a time probably the top one in London and one of the few to take it to places up north. Basically when football violence was at its peak, so was Arsenal, not that it is really something to be proud of, just part of football back them.

Arsenal have a rep as not really having a firm, known as the 'invisible firm' and basically it is bollocks.

They are not as active a many firms today like the mancs or Sp**s (apart from when they are meant to come to Highbury) but when they are needed they show up, loads out for the Cardiff game the other week.

I aint firm at all, although I know a good few who are, or probably more accurate like to think they are.

But football hooliganism is basically dead in this county due to police, ott sentences, ticket prices, all seater stadiums and that it is a mugs game now.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom