• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

'I'd rather die than apologise to Materazzi'-Zizou

Shue

Established Member
Goonereagle said:
The world is full of a lot of childs, and bottlers by the logic we've used here. Billions!

Family is far more important than the game. For all we know his mother was on his death bed. His mother!--who he has known his whole life and loves maybe more than anyone--keeps gettin' abused by some disrespectful punk; adrenaline is pumping and frustration is high, it's not exactly unheard of for Zidane to react how he did. What he did was wrong, but to call him a child over it is a bit holier than thou.

Also, that means we ain't half had some legendary children at our club.
How many Arsenal players have been sent off for ****e headbutts in a WC final?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Goonereagle said:
Family is far more important than the game.
You try telling 65 million people in France that it's more important to headbutt some nutcase who speaks ill of your mum than it is to win a world cup final. This kind of logic does not compute. If you're on the field you're on the field. If his mom was lying at her death bed he wouldn't have played. Headbutting your opponent doesn't "make family more important than the game". It only makes yourself more important than the team. Which is the biggest gripe I've got with all this nonsense. The lengths some people go to defend their idols is just astonishing.

Goonereagle

Klaus Daimler said:
Goonereagle said:
Family is far more important than the game.
You try telling 65 million people in France that it's more important to headbutt some nutcase who speaks ill of your mum than it is to win a world cup final. This kind of logic does not compute. If you're on the field you're on the field. If his mom was lying at her death bed he wouldn't have played. Headbutting your opponent doesn't "make family more important than the game". It only makes yourself more important than the team. Which is the biggest gripe I've got with all this nonsense. The lengths some people go to defend their idols is just astonishing.
Zidane was a hero when he returned, so I don't have to tell the French.

I ain't a fanboy of Zidane, I just think calling him a bottler and acting like no-one has ever struck someone in sports is over the top.

By your logic, Vieira is a bottler as he got sent off for kicking out at RVN V Man U In '04 at Old Trafford.

P.S. I'm a fanboy of Ronaldo (Brazilian) only. :D

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Goonereagle said:
By your logic, Vieira is a bottler as he got sent off for kicking out at RVN V Man U In '04 at Old Trafford.
With the slight distinction that it wasn't a World cup final of course and that we weren't knocked out of the league because of it. But yes, it certainly didn't help.

illmatik

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Heh, Zizou fan-boys are funny.

never have agreed with one of your posts, but this one just irks me to reply back

Zizou-fan boys are funny because they support a great player? he was my role model growing up and even though what he did was stupid, i would've done the SAME exact thing, probably even worse

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
The arguments on here trying to prove that Zidane bottled it are laughable.

Anthony is just being a smart ass as usual...

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
:lol: Cheer up, man. It's just a bit of banter. I should've put a smiley in there but I'm trying to be a bit more restrictive with them.

Ton is right though. The blind defence of Zidane's actions is mind-boggling, and the only reason he's being defended is because, well, he's Zidane. Which is understandable, but not a good argument.

In any case I've made my point, I think. Thread's starting to go around in circles. This is not the most productive discussion on the site.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Unless people on here actually have had their mother very ill and someone insulting her. I don't think they can really talk.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
illmatik said:
AnthonyG said:
Heh, Zizou fan-boys are funny.
never have agreed with one of your posts, but this one just irks me to reply back

Zizou-fan boys are funny because they support a great player? he was my role model growing up and even though what he did was stupid, i would've done the SAME exact thing, probably even worse
So you would have done something even stupider? Such as what?

Also, you must have some very curious views on AFC.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Shue said:
Anyone who reacts to sledging in a WC final is a bottler.

:lol:....bottler.

He's a nutcase, made a mistake.

Bottled the situation? Bottler full stop? I'm not clear here. Is Maradona a bottler.....sent home for failing a drugs test at a WC? Henry sent off in 2002 as France crashed? Desailly sent off in 98 final? The situation got the better of Zidane - but lets not make sweeping statements about him as a player in general.

fabo

6.51 / 10
He's been called a bottler. Sounds like a sweeping statement to me.....unless people actually mean he bottled the situation specifically?? Would have been easier to say that.

Anyway, once I seen people claiming that Zidane was craving the limelight I knew we'd get no quality discussion in here.... :eek:

Shue

Established Member
fabo said:
He's been called a bottler. Sounds like a sweeping statement to me.....unless people actually mean he bottled the situation specifically?? Would have been easier to say that.
We don't need to specify, the thread title already clearly indicates we're just talking about that WC Final.

Of course he's not been a bottler in general, he's put in some great performances in massive games. In this instance though, he bottled it.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Fair enough, just seems wrong to use Zidane and 'bottler' in the same sentence..... :cry:

Tbh I didn't even read the opening post or link.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom