• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is there a point about the media v Arsenal?

Biggus

Established Member
Sp**s are Sp**s and we're the Arsenal, they have their level of expectation and we have ours.
It's ironic that despite the gulf in development between the two clubs, theirs is ridiculously high and ours ridiculously low.

burnsjed

Established Member
You reckon that old Twitch's evaluation that they should be ahead of us is/was a tad optimistic?

Biggus

Established Member
'Arry will send them broke (I hope) like he's done to all his previous clubs, while our very own anti-'Arry is tighter than a fish's bum.....Surely there must be a happy medium?
We just need to start winning things and have a few English players and they'll love us again.

alboots101

Established Member
its not new though is it?

From where i`m sitting, there is nothing wrong with acceptance and i fully accept we are better than them.

Its no longer about just the football on the pitch, mores the pity.

**** off the rails again.

media v Arsenal...i dont believe a word of it.

Funny, talking of off topic. I went to a interview yesterday and while I and a couple of others were waiting someone noticed the little beer towel we got in our supporters packs i was wearing, a blues fan he said along with the Leeds fan that its Arsenal they would prefer to watch to any other but its us lot that's pissing them off. They seemed to think that Arsenal fans were arrogant, which i think rings a little true, anyway the guy doing the interview turned out to be a manc season ticket holder, i thought it was a little strange when he told me he`d been a blues fan all his life and only went to manu because they win things...I didn`t want to tell him that was a little fickle but he did agree and his excuse was..the blues had tormented his football sensibilities for so long he changed his team.

i really hope i dont get that job.

Swish

Established Member
Biggus said:
@ Swish, the Sun eh? You can't go through you life staying in your comfort zone believing only what you want to believe, reality is going to happen anyway so you have a choice:
You can face up to it and confront it or you can wait and get clobbered by it.
It has nothing to do with believing Biggus...

I created a thread expressing how I only ever see articles that are written to tarnish Arsenal instead of praise them. I saw the opposite in the Sun and was just making a point that they posted something positive for a change.

I believe Cesc is still ours for a couple of years at least and I still believe we have a good chance of mounting a serious challenge for the title this season. I haven't let a paper sway my opinion since I was 7 and read Shoot!

Chris Waddle is a legend.

Shue

Established Member
Biggus said:
Shue said:
Biggus said:
we're the once mighty who have fallen.
pretty short sighted viewpoint there old boy
I'm not sure what you mean Shue, I'm looking back over the last 5 years where we haven't won a solitary bean.....We've managed to stay on the CL gravy train but you'd hardly call that an achievement even if our esteemed chairman would.
The days when we were a powerhouse of the English game are gone.
What I mean is that five years in football isn't really that long. We've waited far longer for a trophy in living memory. Terry Neill and Done Howe during the 80's etc. We've moved to a gorgeous new stadium that'll ensure our financial security for many, many years to come and it'll pay for itself eventually. Once it's paid off we'll have much more spending power and by that time I'm expecting FIFA and the FA to have brought in rules regarding sensible accounting. We'll be sitting pretty.

Sure, it's a little frustrating in the here and now, but I've been an Arsenal fan for nigh on 30 years and with a bit of luck I'll be around for a good few years yet. Things will pan out.

Invincibles

What I mean is that five years in football isn't really that long. We've waited far longer for a trophy in living memory. Terry Neill and Done Howe during the 80's etc. We've moved to a gorgeous new stadium that'll ensure our financial security for many, many years to come and it'll pay for itself eventually. Once it's paid off we'll have much more spending power and by that time I'm expecting FIFA and the FA to have brought in rules regarding sensible accounting. We'll be sitting pretty.

Sure, it's a little frustrating in the here and now, but I've been an Arsenal fan for nigh on 30 years and with a bit of luck I'll be around for a good few years yet. Things will pan out.

Could'nt agree more. Unlike Liverpool & Man United, we have a beautiful stadium for our debts. The lack of spending is frustrating, but looking at the bigger picture and the long term security of the club, we are 100% going in the right direction. I would rather go another 10 years without a trophy, and know that in 50 years time, our club will still be here.

This season is far from over, we may just suprise a few people come what May.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS.

Kenyonhater

There has been a strong anti-Arsenal bias in certain areas of the media for years. Even in the Herbert Chapman era we were known as "lucky" Arsenal. In the modern era from the 60s onwards a large percentage of the written press have favoured ManUtd and Liverpool in the north and Tottenham and West Ham in the south. Many of the London hacks grew up in the 60s when Sp**s had their little "glory-glory" period which they still constantly hark back to (wonder why?) and West Ham provided the core of the England World Cup-winning team of 1966. For Arsenal it was their least successful decade since the 20s. Our double under Bertie Mee was damned with faint praise because Sp**s had done it first ten years before and with a more stylish, attacking approach. Then of course under George Graham we were "boring, boring" Arsenal.

Today there is grudging respect for Arsène Wenger and his style of football, even a few pro-Arsenal writers like Amy Lawrence but in the main both the written and broadcast media love to stick the boot in. Some of that is founded in xenophobia due to our lack of English players and "bulldog" spirit. We are effete (glove-wearing, French-speaking), lightweight (don't like it up us, can't handle the tough-tackling British style) and not to be trusted (dirty, foreign cheats like Eduardo and Henry as opposed to honest cleancut English heroes like Rooney, Gerrard and Terry...).

As for MOTD and the BBC, Chief Sports editor Mihir Bose is a diehard Sp**s fan and has spent much of his journalistic career trying to undermine, belittle and discredit Arsenal Football Club. He is a disgrace to his profession in that respect and we should not be in the slightest bit surprised that the BBC has been so blatantly anti-Arsenal since he was appointed.

Some of you might question this bias but think about this - if Fergie and Man Utd had gone an entire league season unbeaten (as they famously boasted they could two years before we did) do you honestly believe the achievement would be as downplayed as ours is now. Arsène Wenger's Arsenal did something no other club in over a CENTURY had done, in a much longer and more demanding league and playing in a fabulously attractive, exciting, attacking manner. We then went on to shatter Nottingham Forest's famous 42 game unbeaten run. If Man Utd, Liverpool or Sp**s (don't laugh too hard) had done what we did you would never hear the end of it and yet our incredible achievement of only six years ago (Wenger was mocked and laughed at for even suggesting we could do it a year before we did) has now been reduced to a footnote, usually accompanied by references to Pires' dive and ManUtd's ending of our run. I rest my case.

Biggus

Established Member
Shue said:

I've been a glory hunter since 1971 so I remember those days too, but times change we are a club with massive potential now thanks mostly to Wenger.
But we must move on and realise that potential- forget about standing around with our sulky faces waiting for FIFA & the FA to clean up the sport they couldn't even organise a piss up in a brewery.
The media will jump on the bandwagon and fawn over us when we become successful again.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Kenyonhater said:
There has been a strong anti-Arsenal bias in certain areas of the media for years. Even in the Herbert Chapman era we were known as "lucky" Arsenal. In the modern era from the 60s onwards a large percentage of the written press have favoured ManUtd and Liverpool in the north and Tottenham and West Ham in the south. Many of the London hacks grew up in the 60s when Sp**s had their little "glory-glory" period which they still constantly hark back to (wonder why?) and West Ham provided the core of the England World Cup-winning team of 1966. For Arsenal it was their least successful decade since the 20s. Our double under Bertie Mee was damned with faint praise because Sp**s had done it first ten years before and with a more stylish, attacking approach. Then of course under George Graham we were "boring, boring" Arsenal.

Today there is grudging respect for Arsène Wenger and his style of football, even a few pro-Arsenal writers like Amy Lawrence but in the main both the written and broadcast media love to stick the boot in. Some of that is founded in xenophobia due to our lack of English players and "bulldog" spirit. We are effete (glove-wearing, French-speaking), lightweight (don't like it up us, can't handle the tough-tackling British style) and not to be trusted (dirty, foreign cheats like Eduardo and Henry as opposed to honest cleancut English heroes like Rooney, Gerrard and Terry...).

As for MOTD and the BBC, Chief Sports editor Mihir Bose is a diehard Sp**s fan and has spent much of his journalistic career trying to undermine, belittle and discredit Arsenal Football Club. He is a disgrace to his profession in that respect and we should not be in the slightest bit surprised that the BBC has been so blatantly anti-Arsenal since he was appointed.

Some of you might question this bias but think about this - if Fergie and Man Utd had gone an entire league season unbeaten (as they famously boasted they could two years before we did) do you honestly believe the achievement would be as downplayed as ours is now. Arsène Wenger's Arsenal did something no other club in over a CENTURY had done, in a much longer and more demanding league and playing in a fabulously attractive, exciting, attacking manner. We then went on to shatter Nottingham Forest's famous 42 game unbeaten run. If Man Utd, Liverpool or Sp**s (don't laugh too hard) had done what we did you would never hear the end of it and yet our incredible achievement of only six years ago (Wenger was mocked and laughed at for even suggesting we could do it a year before we did) has now been reduced to a footnote, usually accompanied by references to Pires' dive and ManUtd's ending of our run. I rest my case.

Amazing post, amazing avatar.

On a side not, why don't you like Kenyans? is it because of this video? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs</a>

ibby

Established Member
Kenyonhater said:

Mihir Bose resigned from the BBC at the start of the season.

It's not been downplayed at all. In fact I remember reading an article from an English based newspaper claiming the Invincibles were the best team to ever play in England. I think it was the Telegraph or Mail but I'm not sure.

It's just paranoia.

law

The media don't have anything against Arsenal per se. But football as an international sport is likely to be reported in a nationalistic way (not to mention most tabloids are awash with xenophobia anyway). If we had two or three England stars and liked heading the ball they'd love us.

Burnwinter

Established Member
The Australian football media regurgitates the same two principal themes as everyone else:

1. Our "beautiful football" is "second only to Barca"
2. We don't like it up us because we are young, foreign and lack grit

If the likes of Walcott, Ramsey, Gibbs, Wilshere and Eastmond were able to pin down places in the first XI there would undoubtedly be a spate of articles about our newfound British spirit.

At most three of those five will make it here going by the averages though.

Great post KenyonHater by the way, brilliantly places it all in historical context. Oh and Markstar, undoubtedly it's not a hatred of Kenyans as a nation, only one Kenyon in particular :)

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Burnwinter said:
The Australian football media regurgitates the same two principal themes as everyone else:

1. Our "beautiful football" is "second only to Barca"
2. We don't like it up us because we are young, foreign and lack grit

If the likes of Walcott, Ramsey, Gibbs, Wilshere and Eastmond were able to pin down places in the first XI there would undoubtedly be a spate of articles about our newfound British spirit.

At most three of those five will make it here going by the averages though.

Great post KenyonHater by the way, brilliantly places it all in historical context. Oh and Markstar, undoubtedly it's not a hatred of Kenyans as a nation, only one Kenyon in particular :)

I deliberately misunderstood as an excuse to post a funny vid :) Peter Kenyon is a douche after all...has worked for two of the great enemies! I could only hate him more if he started working for Tottscum.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Ah sorry, didn't follow the link. Youtube's blocked at work for me. Should've realised it was too feckin' obvious for words!

If Kenyon ever worked for Tottnumb he'd be even more our Prince of Darkness. What a prick.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom