• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
He has a place here if he wants it. We'll have enough games for two squads of eleven if we contend in the EL. We could keep Wilshere exclusively for EL games if his fitness requires him to play lesser matches. In fact, we've got a lot of average/young squaddies - Gibbs, Walcott, Iwobi, Elneny, Coquelin all of whom can play in the EL along with the youth.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I love Jack but he's probably going to be the reason we don't sign a starting quality CM.

That is frustrating.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think it was a good decision for him to leave for real top level games and I'm sure it was a decision taken by both him together with the club. You can't hope or expect a long term injury to get games. Overall I'd say it turned out for the best for all parties. He hasn't exactly taken Bournemouth by storm of course but he has kept fit at an acceptable level of performances.

However you are right with a pretty few important points. His contract situation makes things complicated also. I agree we should be ruthless also but then I see a use for him as an option who could deputize for Xhaka and Özil pretty comfortable. We have Santi who could but like Jack you can't trust his fitness either. We need 3 players for every position imo.

Its understandable why no one may want him or would want to invest good money on him. Its a risk. I wouldn't be against letting him go on a free at the end of his contract if things don't turn up the way we hope it would.
I'm still undecided about the wisdom of going to Bournemouth and it did take him 10 games to get fit. I think it was matchday 12 before he got any wow reviews. With Santi now out for 5 months, he's moved up the pecking order but his game is different to Xhaka and Özil's. We need both to avoid one being completely marked out if the game. JW will need to change his game. I'd still prefer a new CM.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Santi's injury could open up a door for Jack.

Right now Ramsey and Xhaka are clearly our starting midfielders. When we play with a back-three we now keep an extra defender in the middle and this allows Ramsey to attack and Xhaka to dictate the play from deep.

Next season we make keep with the 3-4-3 exclusively, but I hope that we don't. When we played 4-2-3-1 with Santi and Coq we had a two person midfield shield that worked well. This duo required two midfielders to protect the defense and also transition the ball from defense to attack. Coq is horrible at this, but Santi is exceptional at it, so the pairing worked.

However, Xhaka and Coq did not work well because neither can dribble their way out of tight places. Xhaka is a passer and Coquelin just tackles, and this made it hard for us to relieve the pressure.

Jack is the closest thing to a Santi replacement that you're going to find. He's clearly not two-footed, but he can dribble his way out of trouble and can contribute defensively.

With a back-four, Jack could be a great partner for Xhaka or Coquelin.

However, everything with Jack depends on his health. If he's healthy I think he could be good asset for the team. A midfield four of Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere and Coquelin is pretty good. All of them are about the same age, bring something different, and will allow us to play various formations.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The biggest inhibitor for Jack Wilshere is Jack Wilshere. He almost almost went a full season without injury. And even that was with one game per week and by all accounts a tailor made training schedule. We should not offer him both therefore the end result is offload and rebuild with a player capable of playing regularly and doing regular training.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Next year it's the world cup.. You know how much Wilshere loves England and he'll be desperate to play for the National team. If we can't promise him a starting place(and we shouldn't) then I unfortunately can see him wanting to leave. Hopefully he decides to stay, with a point to prove.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Last night, I'm not afraid to admit, I got a little bit emotional thinking about the tragedy that is Jack Wilshere's career. So apt a tragic hero he wouldn't look out of place in something by Byron or Shelley.

Wilshere will never be the player he should be - and by that, I mean the best midfielder in the world. It's too late for him to reach that level now. But he can still be a top midfielder, at least reaching Cazorla's level, even if he'll sadly never grace Fabregas' now. Whether or not Wilshere can achieve that here I am dubious.

One of the things that truly saddens me, as well as deeply angering me, is the way that most of England sit on the edge of their seats, wishing failure upon Wilshere, purely for the meme potential. How can a country want their most technically gifted player since Gascoigne to fail so miserably? Surely the country should be crossing every body part they have that Wilshere will finally catch a break, given how gifted Wilshere is. Now whenever he plays he is burdened with knowing that everyone is waiting for him to fall again so they can mock him for it. It's sickening. I don't think Wilshere's truly recovered from Euro 2016, both mentally and physically. Drinkwater and Noble are good players, but they don't have that X-Factor Wilshere possesses. A month more of game time before the tournament and Wilshere could've made a difference Noble and Drinkwater could never make. Selecting Wilshere was a gamble that sadly didn't pay off, but ignorance and the desire to mock Wilshere throughout the country blind the foolish to comprehending why Hodgson took a risk and brought his most technically gifted player to France.

I'm delighted Pep has managed to save Sterling this season, as he too was another the English got their jollies out of viewing him struggle. But I don't think Wenger can save Wilshere - he's already trying to save himself and his own reputation, let alone Wilshere's too. I don't think anyone in England can pull Wilshere out of the darkness. Ernesto: Thiago and Verratti are out of your price range, and Herrera is ****ing Herrera - enough of that nonsense, please. Take Wilshere away from the Paddy McNairs of the Premier League and you know he can flourish in La Liga and at Barcelona.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Last night, I'm not afraid to admit, I got a little bit emotional thinking about the tragedy that is Jack Wilshere's career. So apt a tragic hero he wouldn't look out of place in something by Byron or Shelley.

Wilshere will never be the player he should be - and by that, I mean the best midfielder in the world. It's too late for him to reach that level now. But he can still be a top midfielder, at least reaching Cazorla's level, even if he'll sadly never grace Fabregas' now. Whether or not Wilshere can achieve that here I am dubious.

One of the things that truly saddens me, as well as deeply angering me, is the way that most of England sit on the edge of their seats, wishing failure upon Wilshere, purely for the meme potential. How can a country want their most technically gifted player since Gascoigne to fail so miserably? Surely the country should be crossing every body part they have that Wilshere will finally catch a break, given how gifted Wilshere is. Now whenever he plays he is burdened with knowing that everyone is waiting for him to fall again so they can mock him for it. It's sickening. I don't think Wilshere's truly recovered from Euro 2016, both mentally and physically. Drinkwater and Noble are good players, but they don't have that X-Factor Wilshere possesses. A month more of game time before the tournament and Wilshere could've made a difference Noble and Drinkwater could never make. Selecting Wilshere was a gamble that sadly didn't pay off, but ignorance and the desire to mock Wilshere throughout the country blind the foolish to comprehending why Hodgson took a risk and brought his most technically gifted player to France.

I'm delighted Pep has managed to save Sterling this season, as he too was another the English got their jollies out of viewing him struggle. But I don't think Wenger can save Wilshere - he's already trying to save himself and his own reputation, let alone Wilshere's too. I don't think anyone in England can pull Wilshere out of the darkness. Ernesto: Thiago and Verratti are out of your price range, and Herrera is ****ing Herrera - enough of that nonsense, please. Take Wilshere away from the Paddy McNairs of the Premier League and you know he can flourish in La Liga and at Barcelona.
And I was thinking you'd left this forum. Or at least stopped posting for a while. Can't disagree. Jack is touchy one for us Gunners. We all so desperately want him to do well but he just can't seem to catch a break.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
And I was thinking you'd left this forum. Or at least stopped posting for a while. Can't disagree. Jack is touchy one for us Gunners. We all so desperately want him to do well but he just can't seem to catch a break.
I've just been quite busy with uni stuff recently, thought I'd return with some real food for thought. And you're completely right - I want so desperately for Wilshere to finally get a good run together and start to announce himself again as the top player he truly is.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's going to be anothere season of not signing a top CM to give Jack a chance.

I like Jack, I like him a lot but I'm not pleased. Injury prone players like him have always been a weakness of Wengers. His development is sad because we all know he should be up there with Thiago and Veratti as the best young CM's in the world.

Those three have always struck me as footballing triplets, similar build and incredible technical ability yet they all had their own unique and graceful way of playing central midfield. Jack was the most exciting for me and it's a shame that he's the only one who hasn't joined his 'brothers'.

BIoodBrother

Why didn't he keep a starting position when he was fit under a positively thinking manager like Eddie Howe, I wonder? At f****** Bournemouth?
Afobe starting ahead of him? Surman? Arter? Surely a player like Wilshere shoul've made a bigger difference. Or is he just not that good? He has a beautiful technique, but his decisionmaking has always been horrible. He played too many games as if we were in Kindergarten. The result was my favourite goal in the game, but no more than 3 assists per season. Sadly a beachsoccerplayer me thinks now.
BTW I love him. Saw him at the emirates vs Rangers, left the place in thinking we had a 16yr old Zidane... Bough my shirt with his name on it just 18months ago. Wont forget him but he aint got the brain or that clutch mentality needed in the PL

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Why didn't he keep a starting position when he was fit under a positively thinking manager like Eddie Howe, I wonder? At f****** Bournemouth?
Afobe starting ahead of him? Surman? Arter? Surely a player like Wilshere shoul've made a bigger difference. Or is he just not that good? He has a beautiful technique, but his decisionmaking has always been horrible. He played too many games as if we were in Kindergarten. The result was my favourite goal in the game, but no more than 3 assists per season. Sadly a beachsoccerplayer me thinks now.
BTW I love him. Saw him at the emirates vs Rangers, left the place in thinking we had a 16yr old Zidane... Bough my shirt with his name on it just 18months ago. Wont forget him but he aint got the brain or that clutch mentality needed in the PL

Afobe's a ****ing striker :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom