• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinium

He's played both roles fairly decently. The Xhaka role is more or less what he's played for England and what he was doing when he broke into the first team. The Ramsey role he actually might be better suited to because he's very good technically and adept at playing combinations as he makes runs towards the box. The biggest question mark obviously is can he stay on the pitch and there's no reason sadly to think that he can in either role.
He will do an OK job if asked to do so but I don't think it suits him. His best role is as part of a middle 3 as the third guy - not the enforcer or the creator - but the one who keeps things ticking over. I call it the Xavi role as Xavi was perfect at it (Busquets was the enforcer, Iniesta the more advanced creator).

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He will do an OK job if asked to do so but I don't think it suits him. His best role is as part of a middle 3 as the third guy - not the enforcer or the creator - but the one who keeps things ticking over. I call it the Xavi role as Xavi was perfect at it (Busquets was the enforcer, Iniesta the more advanced creator).
Xhaka is hardly an enforcer though is he? In spite of his propensity for cards he doesn't exactly go around instilling fear in the midfield. I would argue that in this system(not generally but the way we are playing) the formation itself is the enforcer if you will. Xhaka isn't playing any differently to the way Wilshere was used for England or for us at times. The only difference is that technically he's part of a 2 rather than a 3 but in spite of that he's actually got less defensive responsibility with the middle CB acting like a sweeper at times.

infinium

Xhaka is hardly an enforcer though is he? In spite of his propensity for cards he doesn't exactly go around instilling fear in the midfield. I would argue that in this system(not generally but the way we are playing) the formation itself is the enforcer if you will. Xhaka isn't playing any differently to the way Wilshere was used for England or for us at times. The only difference is that technically he's part of a 2 rather than a 3 but in spite of that he's actually got less defensive responsibility with the middle CB acting like a sweeper at times.
I agree that the system provides more defensive solidarity and that is why Wenger brought it in. In line with this I think this means the two middle roles tend to be quite physical and high energy roles when done correctly. Look at what Fabregas has recently said about how it is all about running and power when discussing the current trends in football which reflects the fact that Matic and Kante have been ahead of him all season. Jack can play in the middle two but would he be the better than Xhaka and Ramsey? I'd say those two have better physical characteristics to play the role. This formation is really about defensive solidarity through the middle, great wing backs and hopefully a front three that can cause mayhem on their own.

P.S. I would never use anyone playing in any role for England as an argument to support anything. Ever.

mmac76

I agree that the system provides more defensive solidarity and that is why Wenger brought it in. In line with this I think this means the two middle roles tend to be quite physical and high energy roles when done correctly. Look at what Fabregas has recently said about how it is all about running and power when discussing the current trends in football which reflects the fact that Matic and Kante have been ahead of him all season. Jack can play in the middle two but would he be the better than Xhaka and Ramsey? I'd say those two have better physical characteristics to play the role. This formation is really about defensive solidarity through the middle, great wing backs and hopefully a front three that can cause mayhem on their own.

P.S. I would never use anyone playing in any role for England as an argument to support anything. Ever.

Ramsey may have some attributes going forward, but Mr 'defensive solidarity' he really ain't

Nichodemus

Ramsey is very very good going forward when he has his confidence back. New formation absolutely helping him. We know he has the talent, Ferguson wanted him. We know he can do it after that 2013/14 season (Freak season or not, shows he can). We know he has the tenacity and willpower in him (Any player coming back from such a leg break has it in him) He just needs all to click for him.

I just pray for the day someone discovers how to combine Jack and Ramsey and some other midfielder into one tasty mix.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Ferguson wanted him.
Not sure that is a great example. Fergie was renowned for turning rubbish players into stars. Go look at the last team he won the title with. Easily the weakest side United have ever won the EPL with.

I won't dare say that Fergie couldn't spot talent but rather that he knew which pieces he was missing. SOmetimes all you need is an average player used specifically in a particular role. Other times you need a stop gap like RVP and you win the league. He was good at that.

Not saying Ramsey is rubbish (although I have in the past) just saying it may not necessarily be because Fergie thought he was the next Messi but rather the answer to his problem in particular.

Wilshere10

This is how I've always seen him aswell. I think he's better when he has the game in front of him and he can work the ball forward with his one twos and his dribbling. His game is built on that type of short passing. He has the talent, but it all means nothing if he can't stay fit though.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Great post. Made me think about it a bit with our midfield options.

Enfield

Established Member
For whatever reason, whether that's natural development or too much time in the gym during injury spells, he's got really really stocky which has affected the way he moves.

Doesn't help with his injuries and the rehab which could only limit him to gym work but I very much doubt he'd been the size he is now if he didn't have any injuries and was groomed as a number 10. He's got way too bulky in recent years.

Completely agree. There are pictures of him on twitter again today doing weights in a gym in Dubai. The guy doesn't need to bulk up and actually never did. There is a difference between bulk and core strength.

Messi, Neymar and Suarez are all top players due to amongst other things being nimble and able to ride a tackle. They look like they wouldn't lift a packet of crisps among them

Fallout

i feel like the formation change will help him perform better here. if he wants to make forward runs, he now has the freedom to do it without compromising our defensive structure. if he wants to sit back and face the game, he has 3 forward players and 2 wing backs running ahead of him.

overall, i feel like the formation is much easier on our CMs than the last one. the CMs have options all around now and can take positional risks when needed. xhaka ramsey and even coquelin have looked much better since the switch. the extra workload is being picked up by the wingbacks, who are running up and down nonstop. we need to replace gibbs in the summer with a serious competitor for monreal. hopefully the new signing works out.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
So many players in the starting eleven are painfully average in the short quick passing game. Breath of fresh air to have Jack back & much needed.

His development may have stalled but the quality of the team has fallen off a cliff.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Completely agree. There are pictures of him on twitter again today doing weights in a gym in Dubai. The guy doesn't need to bulk up and actually never did. There is a difference between bulk and core strength.

Messi, Neymar and Suarez are all top players due to amongst other things being nimble and able to ride a tackle. They look like they wouldn't lift a packet of crisps among them
Even Cristiano Ronaldo has bulked down this year to change his game. We must have bad advisers or Jack is thick and thinks massive muscles will help him.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
He was flown to Dubai to vacation and recover paid for by the club. I'm not really trying to be on social networking while vacationing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom