• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Elneny is not an amazing CM, but he has been the most reliable of our 4 midfielders. He is no Arteta but he has the intelligence and ability to read the game that our other midfielders do not have. Just the simple ability to run into the right positions to receive the ball is something people take for granted but is lacking in our midfielders other than Elneny. Wilshere in comparison still frequently plays like a midfielder Akpom at times, tunnel vision and dribbles his way into giving the ball away.

What are you on about? Elneny has barely featured this season while Wilshere has mostly been a nailed on starter since about December.

Reactions: BBF

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Elneny is not an amazing CM, but he has been the most reliable of our 4 midfielders. He is no Arteta but he has the intelligence and ability to read the game that our other midfielders do not have. Just the simple ability to run into the right positions to receive the ball is something people take for granted but is lacking in our midfielders other than Elneny. Wilshere in comparison still frequently plays like a midfielder Akpom at times, tunnel vision and dribbles his way into giving the ball away.

Why not both? You need midfielders who can defend and midfielders who can control the game. Unfortunately we have been lacking those types of midfielders in the club ATM......

We have good midfielders

We dont have organisation and tactics to utilize them properly

BBF

I don't know how anyone can claim Wilshere has tunnel vision when El Neny frequently passes the ball to the nearest person in front of him.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't know how anyone can claim Wilshere has tunnel vision when El Neny frequently passes the ball to the nearest person in front of him.

Our midfield would be a lot better and more functional if our player can learn the simple act of passing the ball to the nearest person in front of him.....

We have good midfielders

We dont have organisation and tactics to utilize them properly

Except for Elneny all of our midfielders are double edge swords with massive, real flaws that are not easy to deal with and not enough upsides to make up for those flaws. A midfielder's main job should be to link the attack and defense, and to prevent our opponents from linking their attack and defense, yet our midfielders are not very good at doing that.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
In a world where Elneny is our best midfielder.....

Now I have seen it all. International football plays tricks on our minds :lol:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I don't think the club should budge on its offer. He had some nice moments today but his injury record and a lack of pace hinder us and he doesn't show enough consistently. Miki made a massive difference in half the time today. I'm also in love with Isco and the memory of Santi and JW doesn't have or do enough for me.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Unfortunately looks like all those injuries have taken their toll on Jack.

I was hoping for him to get better with a run of games, by its clear that its not fitness, or match sharpness that's the issue. He's lost that edge. Can't see him progressing any further.

He should go to Italy. The slower pace of the game will suit him better.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Unfortunately looks like all those injuries have taken their toll on Jack.

I was hoping for him to get better with a run of games, by its clear that its not fitness, or match sharpness that's the issue. He's lost that edge. Can't see him progressing any further.

He should go to Italy. The slower pace of the game will suit him better.

Wilshere hasn't lost his edge, he simply hasn't improved at all from what he was 7 years ago. Right now he's still a flawed, raw player who neither has the intelligence to play as a number 10, or the defensive ability to play in a deeper midfield role. He could have developed into a much more complete package if not for the numerous injury problems he had.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

His stand-out attributes are his press-resistance and his dribbling ability. After that everything is no more than "good". Maybe his ability to pick out a long pass over the top, but in terms of his general passing, starting attacks, movement off the ball (especially this) and impact he has on the team it's not really THAT good in sense that he should be a definite starter. I do think in the EL his two stand-out attributes do come in handy, but I honestly don't see him as a starter if we really want to move forward. He'll always be an Arsenal man so I do want him to stick around but at the same time I don't think he's that vital of a player. Maybe he could have become one without all the injuries but sadly it's just not looking like it to me. He's had 4 months of solid first team football and he's neither has impressed nor has the team performances really improved with his addition.

Stannis

If everyone is fit Wilshere doesn’t make the starting 11 unless you shift Özil wide which is just finding a way to accomodate jack rather than making the team better

We should focus on keeping Ramsey who despite his faults, does deliver something for us, whilst also finding a upgrade on xhaka whilst also getting Meyer on a free

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
His stand-out attributes are his press-resistance and his dribbling ability. After that everything is no more than "good". Maybe his ability to pick out a long pass over the top, but in terms of his general passing, starting attacks, movement off the ball (especially this) and impact he has on the team it's not really THAT good in sense that he should be a definite starter. I do think in the EL his two stand-out attributes do come in handy, but I honestly don't see him as a starter if we really want to move forward. He'll always be an Arsenal man so I do want him to stick around but at the same time I don't think he's that vital of a player. Maybe he could have become one without all the injuries but sadly it's just not looking like it to me. He's had 4 months of solid first team football and he's neither has impressed nor has the team performances really improved with his addition.

Regrettably i'm beginning to think this too. He's very good at a few things, mainly receiving the ball and dribbling away from the opposition player. But that's not really enough, is it? He hasn't started assisting or scoring, and his defensive output isn't as high as his aggression suggests.

The Wilshere problem isn't a simple one so I don't think anyone should feel like there's a definitive right or wrong answer, because it is easy to be impressed by him. It's easy to watch him and think "he's the only guy we have who can do that". That applies to Arsenal and England. But at the same time when you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, how much impact is he really making?

That's before even getting to the injuries. When you look at his body shape and the way he runs you just think something isn't right. He reminds me a bit of a centaur, his huge thighs sort of stamping into the ground with every stride he takes. He'll never have the physique to perform at the top level 50 times a season, that much is clear.

Still a conundrum though: it feels like he's too good to let go but not good enough to put too much effort into.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Still a conundrum though: it feels like he's too good to let go but not good enough to put too much effort into.

If Wilshere leaves us, he'll be playing for a near relegation team or rotting on the bench of a mid table team in a few years time. That's his level. You can see how his time at Bournemouth turned out. Is that too good to let go?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
If Wilshere leaves us, he'll be playing for a near relegation team or rotting on the bench of a mid table team in a few years time. That's his level. You can see how his time at Bournemouth turned out. Is that too good to let go?

That isn't his level. He might never produce consistently at the highest level, but let's not relegate him in hindsight to an average player.

scytheavatar

Established Member
That isn't his level. He might never produce consistently at the highest level, but let's not relegate him in hindsight to an average player.

A promising 18 year old who doesn't improve for 7 years becomes an average player, if not worse than that. If Messi didn't improve at all from what he was as an 18 year old he'll be no better than Shaqiri.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
A promising 18 year old who doesn't improve for 7 years becomes an average player, if not worse than that. If Messi didn't improve at all from what he was as an 18 year old he'll be no better than Shaqiri.

Right i'm not saying Wilshere has improved massively from when he was 18, that's the whole problem obviously. But is Shaqiri relegation team level? I wouldn't say so. He has a lot of quality, his career just hasn't turned out as well as he'd have hoped. That doesn't make you an average player. The idea that Wilshere has always been destined to 'rot on the bench for a mid-table team' is absurd.

ksarp

Jack will get snapped up by a bigger team.

Wishful thinking at best..He should sign the deal because it’s as good as it gets. This guy isn’t a starter at any of the midfield positions. Maybe it was the injuries, or maybe he just couldn’t make the transition from boy to man, but at this point there is enough evidence to conclude he’s not going to get better.

Gegen Pressing

Move him back to DM then. We need a guy at back with some dribbling and press resistance . urgency and intelligence of the game cannot hurt when you need a quick buildup .
Hodgson use to say Jack's a DM as well and there is no need to let him go this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom