• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jimmy Briand

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
TBH, that was incredibly poor goal-keeping... nice hit on the ball, but the keeper was going down and to the side almost before he hit it....

M+D

Established Member
Briand unsure about future
Rennes striker Jimmy Briand admits he doesn't know where he will be playing next season.
Briand confirmed the interest of Arsenal last week, while But! says Tottenham and Porto are also keen on the youngster, who has won a call-up to Raymond Domenech's France squad.

"I don't know what I'll be doing," said Briand. "At Rennes I've had some good times, but also some bad ones. I'm under contract, but just don't know what's around the corner."

evoh_1

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
dos1986 said:
ricky1985 said:
dos1986 said:
GoonerGurjit said:
dos1986 said:
Very average,has no real qualities that could suggest he will ever be good enough,pointless signing...

I don't mean to sound patronising, but just how many times have you seen him play?

:p Eurogoals....nah seriously I watch quite alot of the french,german,dutch and spanish football mostly for business than pleasure :wink: ...He's not bad but no where near good enough for here,he's very wasteful and like I said he has no special gift to set him apart from the many other quickish strikers in the frecnh league imo..He's much inferior to Kalou for example..who I also dont rate..I would much prefer Goufran who has a few gifts.

Since you are well versed on French football do you think you could give a little analysis of Gouffran please mate?
How quick is he?
How many goals is he capable of getting in the Premiership?
Is he strong?
What are his 'special gifts'?
Who does he compare to in terms of well known players? Jermain Defoe is the impression I get of him. Any info would be great thanks mate.

Well im no expert on french football,just watch the games I have £ on which is quite often,anyway Gouffran is a player I like and I would like him here because of his athleticism and ruthlessness..

He's very quick ,ust below Theo pace imo and would be more similar to a slightly more techincal Eto'o,than Defoe who is very limted with the ball at his feet and running at players,Gouffran has no such problems...his main gifts are that he is a very complete striker for his age,he can dribble,can finish on both feet and has great power...He is a very natural striker and is very calm in around on the box..Which why I would prefer him to promising athletes like Jimmy and Arune who are not natural imo.

I would say he could score plenty in this side upfront and on the wings,technically he is better than Theo and is a much better finisher than Ade,physically he is strong for his size and would have no problems here imo..He would be a promising addition to the squad and would push Ade straight and Freddie straight away.

Thanks mate.
He sounds decent. could be a good signing.

i thought gouffran was more like a mini-anelka, v. fast and good on both feet and a pincher of goals in the box. though looking at some of his work and shots from outside the box i think he has more to offer. good player and a bargain for cover purposes and a look to the future.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
USArsenal said:
TBH, that was incredibly poor goal-keeping... nice hit on the ball, but the keeper was going down and to the side almost before he hit it....
i don't think you can blame the keeper, that shot was with decent power, and ball bouncing off floor before going in is always hard to judge and hard to save

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
i first saw him play in the toulon tournament a couple of years ago. he was stellar in a very good france team. he and arnold mvuemba caught the eye more than anyone else on that team. i know it was only the toulon tournament but you must consider that he played against and with some of the very best in his age group and was head and shoulders above everyone else (except maybe Mvuemba, who was voted player of the tournament if i remember properly). i've seen him play only a couple of times since and i have to say i like him. good finisher, good pace, good instincts and is capable of playing the good pass too. reminds me more of anelka than henry. he also has decent command of his left foot and can certainly take on his man. good player. if we keep henry, van persie and Ade fit throughout next season (something that i think would significantly close the points gap with manure and chavski), signing him and giving him and bendtner a year to adapt and develop might prove a very shrewd move indeed down the road.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
USArsenal said:

I agree. but you cant argue with the technique and athleticism on the strike.

dbig

Main "article" is about Chamakh, and the link is rather tenuous, but I guess it's not much different from those other links posted here. So, two and a half years later, Jimmy Briand to Arsenal thread has been resurrected:

Wenger is also waiting to pounce for highly-rated France hitman Jimmy Briand.

Rennes' hugely-gifted secondary striker Briand, who is also fancied by Marseille, is now running down his contract.

And given he is a near cert to make the World Cup, getting him for nothing will be a huge coup for the astute Wenger.

Anyone followed his progress since he was last linked, and have your opinions changed?

Proof

Established Member
I would like to give Briand a chance and sign him, but not when our priority is a target-man. In terms of qualities, Briand is in the same bracket with the likes of Vela and Walcott.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
What's stiiphunn's opinion about Briand nowadays? I haven't seen much of him since that horrible knee injury he sustained with France early this year. He looked very promising up until that point though. He was on his way to establish himself in the national team and everything. Could be very worthwhile if he's gotten over the injury.

asajoseph

Established Member
When I see the words "winding down his contract", the first thing that springs to mind is that this is a gambit by his agent to negotiate a new deal at his current club. At least 50% of transfer rumours must get originated that way...

Is that likely in this case?

Lord Dula

Established Member
I doubt in Joey. Perhaps if he were at a more fancied club, but he's most likely looking to step up a level.

Lord Dula

Established Member
I doubt in Joey. Perhaps if he were at a more fancied club, but he's most likely looking to step up a level.

bertlb2

I woulddn't read to much in a rumour from The Sun. Deschamps is having a serious look at him, according to media sources in France, but OM probably can't pay the fee.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom