• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Cole

Do you want J. Cole at AFC?

• Yes

Votes: 107 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 54 29.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOPG

Established Member
ARSENAL manager Arsène Wenger has put Chelsea star Joe Cole on his summer wish-list.

Cole, 28 has yet to sign a new deal with Chelsea, making him a free agent soon.

The canny Frenchman said: “Joe Cole is an ­interesting target but do I have enough players in those positions? We shall see.”

Wenger says he needs three new signings in the summer but he has ruled out a bid for Gunners hero Thierry Henry, 33, now sidelined at Barcelona.

The Emirates boss said: “Thierry might want finish his career in America. He has told me that.”

Wenger would love to find another Patrick Vieira but added: “He was a one-off, a leader, a man who was never beaten with immense strength of mind and body. Where do you find another one?”

One player Wenger does fancy is PSV wideman Ibrahim Affelay, 24.

After securing four domestic titles with Eindhoven, he feels he is ready to move on.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football...tar-Joe-Cole-is-on-Arsène-Wenger-s-wish-list/

So what do you think of Joe Cole and Ibrahim Affelay?

Abs

Established Member
Affeley sounds realistic. I think Wenger is just playing the media with Joe Cole, he was proberly asked about it and said we shall see. J.Cole is on 80k a week now and want pay rise as he feels he's worth more. J.Cole will proberly go to Man City

qs

Established Member
Isn't the whole money issue the reason he's not signing for Chelsea at the moment?

I can see him plying his trade in Manchester next season.

Zico

Established Member
United will definitely put a lot of effort into signing someone like Modric or Cole. They need to relieve Rooney of playmaking stress, and Scholes is really getting on.

He cannot come to Arsenal. Fabregas is playing in his position, and if Fabregas is not there, then Nasri, Rosicky and various others are waiting to fill the void. We need natural width more than a guy like Cole. Plus he's injury prone.

qs

Established Member
Cole has played the majority of his career wide Zico. In terms of style he's probably exactly the sort of player who'd fit into our system. However he's a bit too selfish for Wenger and worst of all he's a crock.

Zico

Established Member
I know, but he likes to cut in from the left from what I have seen. We have enough players trying to cut in and crowd the middle. We need some guys who can do that but can also run down the line and whip in a cross for Chamakh and Bendtner (if they're in the box, which will probably be a rare event).

GoonerAG

I wouldn't mind either of those but they would be luxury signings. People have already mentioned that Cole is being a greedy freak at Scumford Fridge, so I doubt he's a realistic target, although anyone of such quality and free will interest Wenger being the tightarse he is :lol:

We need to focus on goalkeeper and centre back first though.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Very good player when healthy, but to join he'd probably need to be our top earner and I don't see that happening.

I'm a bit surprised Chelsea aren't making more of an effort to keep him.

Bossa

Established Member
Joe Cole would be a good signing but I doubt that we will give him 100k+ a week. Chamakh and Joe Cole on a free would be insane for us!

Affelay has had a really dissapointing season. I dont think that he's good enough for us.

number_0

Established Member
Chelsea will never let cole go, and he knows it, with this new home grown quota chelsea would want to keep him.

It's like the terry saga with mancheter city last year, he will never leave.

Zico

Established Member
What type of line-up would we field with Cole, assuming we keep all players we have at present?

Zico

Established Member
I do not like the idea of Nasri AND Cole in our frontline. I believe the frontline should ideally consist of 3 from Bendtner, Chamakh, van Persie and Arshavin. If those guys are unavailable, then we should appeal to Walcott, Eduardo, Vela.

We need to have scorers up front. Guys like Joe Cole and Nasri should be competing with Fabregas for the No. 10 spot.

P_Gunner

Agreed Zico. My front 3 would be Chamakh - RVP - Arshavin. Wenger should really try playing Nasri beside Cesc to see how it works out. Both are pretty mobile and have a wide passing range.

Zico

Established Member
P_Gunner said:
Agreed Zico. My front 3 would be Chamakh - RVP - Arshavin. Wenger should really try playing Nasri beside Cesc to see how it works out. Both are pretty mobile and have a wide passing range.

P Gunner, that could certainly be exciting, particularly against teams that have weaker midfields. I am worried, though, that we would be porous against the really good teams.

Ideally, against top teams our midfield has two players like Song and Melo sitting in front of our central defenders, mopping up, and giving our fullbacks the freedom to bomb forward along with Fabregas.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Zico said:
P_Gunner said:

P Gunner, that could certainly be exciting, particularly against teams that have weaker midfields. I am worried, though, that we would be porous against the really good teams.

Ideally, against top teams our midfield has two players like Song and Melo sitting in front of our central defenders, mopping up, and giving our fullbacks the freedom to bomb forward along with Fabregas.

They can bomb forward all they like - as long as they suddenl;y start learning how to cross.

Plus why not get a Cole AND a player that complements Song. How often or when they are played would depend on the opposition faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom