• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit
The thing I like most about this kid is that he's not a coward.

He wants the ball, he wants to make the ambitious pass, he wants to take the shot, he wants to to get into to the box.Maybe it comes off maybe it doesn't, but he wants that responsibility, that's a big time trait.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This is where the EL really suits us. Rest players for the league and give guys like Joe regular minutes in competitive games. It means when called upon they've minutes in their legs.

I like him I really do. He is a mobile Jordan Henderson.

Agree, let's be honest our squad is nowhere near good enough to play PL and CL and not get loads of injuries from overplaying

sdotzdot

Established Member
Early days in his career but he’s been given his chances as a more involved squad player, even starting big games and he was always one of the worst players in the pitch when that was happening.

He’s young so you definitely still can’t write him off and he played well against two not so great teams when the pressure was off. That is a good start for him to make his case but needs to do a lot more before he is even considered to be anywhere near the first team, he had those opportunities already and didn’t make his claim (hope he does)

I know people will start moaning about his position but when you’re young and trying to claim a stake in that team when you get in it you make it work, end of.

Look at saka, came in and absolutely dominated everywhere he played, even became our ****ing starting LB! Look at AMN, was required in the team in a position and he made his claim. Even Iwobi to a lesser extent who when he first broke through was played wherever he could be fitted in and made it work, showcasing his talent.

Don’t want to hear these excuses for Willock. Promising start after a lacklustre previous season but these two games are no where near enough for him to be in first team contention, he keeps putting in these performances consistently or does that performance in a more important game with more pressure then we can talk.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Early days in his career but he’s been given his chances as a more involved squad player, even starting big games and he was always one of the worst players in the pitch when that was happening.

He’s young so you definitely still can’t write him off and he played well against two not so great teams when the pressure was off. That is a good start for him to make his case but needs to do a lot more before he is even considered to be anywhere near the first team, he had those opportunities already and didn’t make his claim (hope he does)

I know people will start moaning about his position but when you’re young and trying to claim a stake in that team when you get in it you make it work, end of.

Look at saka, came in and absolutely dominated everywhere he played, even became our ****ing starting LB! Look at AMN, was required in the team in a position and he made his claim. Even Iwobi to a lesser extent who when he first broke through was played wherever he could be fitted in and made it work, showcasing his talent.

Don’t want to hear these excuses for Willock. Promising start after a lacklustre previous season but these two games are no where near enough for him to be in first team contention, he keeps putting in these performances consistently or does that performance in a more important game with more pressure then we can talk.

Oh bore off. Starting what big games exactly?

Where are some of you getting this narrative that he’s had an abundance of opportunity?

It was his first full season of professional first team football ffs, and Xhaka, Guendouzi, Torreira and Ceballos were all firmly ahead of him in a midfield with 2 spots.

He’s done what he can do with a fraction of the chances given to several more senior members who’ve stunk the place out consistently.

Joe’s had his fair share of bad games but this arbitrary demand that he has to now suddenly prove why his form isn’t a fluke is as pompous
as it is irrational.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Oh bore off. Starting what big games exactly?

Where are some of you getting this narrative that he’s had an abundance of opportunity?

It was his first full season of professional first team football ffs, and Xhaka, Guendouzi, Torreira and Ceballos were all firmly ahead of him in a midfield with 2 spots.

He’s done what he can do with a fraction of the chances given to several more senior members who’ve stunk the place out consistently.

Joe’s had his fair share of bad games but this arbitrary demand that he has to now suddenly prove why his form isn’t a fluke is as pompous
as it is irrational.
You’re saying he was more deserving than the midfielders ahead of him based on what showings exactly? :red:

don’t debate with fanboys. Keep fighting the good fight my friend!

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Why are you talking about Saka who is one of the stand out young players in the league?

You can still become a very good player and not hit the ground running straight away.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He actually started last season quite well and tailed off massively due to a lack of momentum.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a sure PL starter at the moment, not just yet. I think Elneny has really stolen a march on everyone and while I am admittedly still not his biggest fan, I think he deserves to be starting often on the basis of his start to the season - alongside Partey. Willock has to usurp both Xhaka and Ceballos to the bench and if he continues to perform in the EL the way he has been, he will surely get a shot and make his way into plans.

I think a lot of people - like with Nketiah and others - have made up their minds about him already so will use the EL narrative against him, but I think he has done really well of late and been the best player 2 times in a row - in a team full of players who usually play in the first team more often. It's encouraging, and I'd tip Willock to continue to prove people wrong.

Raicore

No hurry Joe. You already have the necessary attributes to be a solid player. Take your time and develop into a beast of a midfielder soon. You'll be the much coveted English cm one day.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

You’re saying he was more deserving than the midfielders ahead of him based on what showings exactly? :red:

Was Elneny deserving?

I think it's fair to say we don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes. But it's absolutely clear you do the work you get the rewards.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Tall, mobile, great engine, good dribbler, scores goals, intelligent. What more you need?
Decision making needs to improve though but people forget he's still young.
He's getting more mins in the EL, in his favoured position and with the experience gained I'm hoping for a breakthrough season from Willock
Dribbling? Not 1/10 as silky as Cazorla.
Intelligent? I though you’ve questioned his decision making.

The examples in the below post are what I call talented midfielders.
Camavinga has shxt positioning. I saw him dribbling on the side line and sometimes getting into the opponent 6 yard box. If he plays attacking midfielders/wingers. It’s totally fine. But as a CM, you need to have positional discipline. Or else if you lose the ball, you would leave huge space for the opponent to exploit.

If we look to strengthen our midfield, these are the players that we should get:

Some of them may not be available, but these are the sort of midfielders that we should buy.

Last edited:

Raicore

Dribbling? Not 1/10 as silky as Cazorla.
Intelligent? I though you’ve questioned his decision making.

The examples in the below post are what I call talented midfielders.

His decision making will improve with more games played, duh!
The examples you gave are good players in their own way. They started from smaller clubs, getting much game time and experience, making them the players they are.
What makes you so sure that willock couldn't be as good as them, if he was to get the same minutes as them here?
Judge willock again at the end of the season. I'm sure if he was born Italian, French or Spanish..more people would be raving about him

nick gould

Not a very huge fan but this boy and Pepe have been superb in the europa Cup. I had hoped that we would go back to 4 3 3 with Joe willock as one of the midfielders. You gotta reward the guys for good performances.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He would have been a lot more useful off the bench today. Can feel slightly aggrieved IMO but as long as he keeps building his stock, he'll get there.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He deserves a chance based on the clear need for more dynamism in our midfield? The current set up is limited at best.

The gap between midfield and attack is too big. We have nobody breaking the lines and disrupting the opposition shape, who is also capable of recovering defensively.

We play with two sitting midfielders and our striker has to drop deep to get the ball. What is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom