• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Jurrien Timber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He’ll be a rotation option for the first couple of months. We’re already changing 2 pieces of our team with Partey and Xhaka leaving. People who think he’ll instantly replace White are in for a surprise IMO.
Let's not pretend BW is anywhere near this guy in terms of talent and physique, but you are right to say he won't instantly replace him.

Zynchenko, Saliba, and Timber, I don't think I've ever seen that much technical quality in defense. No way teams will be able to press us.

It's also important to mention that if we get Havertz and with so much technical quality in our back 4, they will actually have great targets in front of them. Havertz and Jesus will constantly be on the move and we can target them in transition, Timber and Saliba will enjoy that. Absolutely perfect planning from Arteta and Edu, has to be said (if these transfers ever happen)

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I dont think the point is about White being undroppable or "not that good".

But Ill start by saying... Actually, yes... White is that good. He brings many tactical options into the team with his versatility and quality.

The point is about rotation and how the defenders fit into that rotation. We will be seeing every defender facing rotation next season. We see Timber coming in for example and that makes Zinchenko's position replaceable in the team. Same with Gabriel in Kiwior, same with Saliba in White.

The bigger point for us to take away from all this is that we now have interchangeable quality in our squad, which allows us to continue at our level with rotational players coming in.
I just remember White being a bit shaky at CB and he also struggles a bit against the best wingers.

He’s a good signing but this team has quickly gone from top 4 being a good season to wanting to challenge city and go deep in the CL. I see him as a versatile squad option in our final form rather than an undisputed first XI guy.

Disclaimer being that he can still improve for sure.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Called it last season that as good as White looks he's probably the most replacable in the backline.

He's good but he's not that good. No idea how good Timber is but I believe people are overestimating how good he'll need to be to bench White.
He will need to be pretty good as White was starting quality in a title challenging side in EPL. That's a high level for sure.

Personally I can't assume he will take the starting spot very fast, coming from Eredivisie after a not so good season.

You say White was a bit shaky at CB and struggles against best wingers, but don't you think Timber will also next season?

Even Martinez struggled at times coming from the same team with similar stats.

(While I don't even think White struggled a lot or was that shaky.)

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I just remember White being a bit shaky at CB and he also struggles a bit against the best wingers.

He’s a good signing but this team has quickly gone from top 4 being a good season to wanting to challenge city and go deep in the CL. I see him as a versatile squad option in our final form rather than an undisputed first XI guy.

Disclaimer being that he can still improve for sure.
One thing is sure. The great football brain Danny Mills assessment of Ben White turned out to be wrong. 2 years ago he said White was too good for Arsenal and in 2 years would be at Real Madrid. Doesn’t look like he will go to Real this summer

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

FRrrffrXEAE4kL-.jpg

Sparrahork

One thing is sure. The great football brain Danny Mills assessment of Ben White turned out to be wrong. 2 years ago he said White was too good for Arsenal and in 2 years would be at Real Madrid. Doesn’t look like he will go to Real this summer
I agree with Danny - Benny Blanco is too good for a Europa League level side and capable of being a first teamer at a club able to finish second in one of the traditional big leagues.

If timber joins he will have his work cut out to be clear first choice in one the positions he plays. Thankfully we have moved on quickly and he should get plenty of time on the pitch regardless of any injuries.

I stand by the fact our defence suffered last season not because saliba was out, it was because both he and Tomi were out at the same time. Timber's signing will add great depth to our defence.

I still feel Benny has it in him to be a quality DM, will be interesting if given a shot there occasionally if timber is to live up to the billing at right back many are giving him.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
It's a great promising signing! There is no point in discussing White. We will play in UCL, and I'm sure all players will have plenty time to play. No need to bin White; he is a good player and shows his value during the season.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He will need to be pretty good as White was starting quality in a title challenging side in EPL. That's a high level for sure.

Personally I can't assume he will take the starting spot very fast, coming from Eredivisie after a not so good season.

You say White was a bit shaky at CB and struggles against best wingers, but don't you think Timber will also next season?

Even Martinez struggled at times coming from the same team with similar stats.

(While I don't even think White struggled a lot or was that shaky.)
Literally said I don't know how good Timber is.

I just don't think White is excellent. If someone comes in that is better than White on the ball (White is good but not excellent) and/or a better 1v1 defender (again White isn't bad here but he isn't elite either) then I think they can take his spot. What's good about White is that he's a solid all-round modern defender that can slot in anywhere and play out from the back, but I wouldn't call him elite at anything.

Look how easily Saliba took Ben White's CB spot for example.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I just don't think White is excellent. If someone comes in that is better than White on the ball (White is good but not excellent) and/or a better 1v1 defender (again White isn't bad here but he isn't elite either) then I think they can take his spot. What's good about White is that he's a solid all-round modern defender that can slot in anywhere and play out from the back, but I wouldn't call him elite at anything.

Fwiw this didn't really happen. This is another example of Mikel getting lucky.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I think it'll be a year before Timber takes Whites's spot at RB game in game out. He's still quite young and I imagine it'll take some time to adapt.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's horses for courses. If Zinny's starting you'll want White on the right. If he's not you'd probably go with Timber.

I'm in favour of signing this player but one thing I'll say is he is not a good defender from what I've seen in clips etc. He dives in, is a real risk taker and is positionally a bit lax.

I've no problem with it as he looks very comfortable on the ball and good technique so I can live with his defensive flaws. He's basically the mirror of Zinny I feel, with a bit more zip about him.

White is undoubtedly the more rounded traditional player as it stands though. Looks like two great options at RB tbh and we'll need that for tactical and fixture congestion / rotation reasons next season.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Well my point was that White was very good because he was starting quality at a title challenging side, and none of us should expect Timber to be better in his first season in EPL. It's very rare that happens even for more proven players. Does he have somewhat higher potential, especially in attacking sense, than White? For sure.

I already said before White was signed, that it's likely planned that White will play inverted RB over Tomiyasu when Saliba is back, because he is injury-prone and a cheaper fee, and Saliba will take that RCB spot.

So it's not far-fetched that the club planned it, because that's exactly what happened. It doesn't have to be much to do with White's quality at RCB, when you want to extend Saliba, so you make room for him no matter what. It's just logical. White was good at RCB too, and that defence had some serious depth issues too, for players next to him.

White will be the 2nd RCB over Timber in my opinion, and will likely play against tougher opponents at RB, at first. Timber fits that inverted RB role better, and is coming to the best league in the world anyway, so needs time to adjust and develop his defensive side.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
It means he is not serious and hence he had problems with England. People were not impressed with his nonchalant approach
Nah, not at all. As long as he turns up for training in time, trains well, & keeps a high level when he plays, he'll be picked. So far White has not let Teta down. He's absolutely solid.

What happens at England is a different matter. He came back from WC & didn't skip a beat for us.

Plenty of footballers switch off once they get home & it's just how they are. You don't need to be football mad to be a top professional.

I'm very good at my job, but once I leave I switch off, but my employers know that Im a good performer so just let me crack on. Simples.

Legend14

Established Member
White had a great season and will start but Timber is real competition; he can’t be pressured and can do all that White does.

Looks like he can play 6 too. Would be an intelligent signing. I have my doubts about him handling CB at the PL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom