• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Karaoke in the North Bank, an Opera Singer and Jumbotrons

Adam

Established Member
http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontrol ... id=4316076

Desperate measures :lol:

Vieira is the advert for the thing - he says:

"One of the great things about English football is the atmosphere you get at matches. As players, when you can really hear the support from the stands it is definitely an inspiration and I can honestly say that the louder the Arsenal fans are the better - and I know that's the opinion of all of the lads.

"Sometimes I know it is suggested that Highbury is not one of the country's loudest stadiums but when the atmosphere is good here, there's nowhere better and any ways of making matchdays livelier and louder here at Highbury are a great idea in my opinion."

What's the thought on this?

Mark

Established Member
i suppose if the players like it, making noise would only help them. i always like to make noise at games so the players know they're appreciated. i think it should be louder.

laolu

Half-time Henry
Popular opera singer, Tony Henry, will provide half-time entertainment singing terrace favourites including Dean Martin's 'Volare' - the tune to 'Vieira' of course

When I saw "Half-time Henry" before reading the rest, I thought Henry was going to show some tricks

Rupert

lol that Tony Henry guy has
T Henry
10or

on his shirt :D

it was in the match programme against boro on tuesday

shame im away for the man city match bah!

reggiepaul

The karaoke in the north bank is weird. This isn't some village hall or pheonix nights, it's a football stadium - big difference.

If you want to change the atmosphere and indulge more people in to the game you have to make them understand and how it makes a difference. It's part of the whole ambience - which is arguable at this point.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
laolu said:
Half-time Henry
Popular opera singer, Tony Henry, will provide half-time entertainment singing terrace favourites including Dean Martin's 'Volare' - the tune to 'Vieira' of course

When I saw "Half-time Henry" before reading the rest, I thought Henry was going to show some tricks

thats what i thought too, until i read on :wink:

va_va_voom

Its a load of tripe. Things like this will make us a laughing stock amongst other fans.

As someone else has said on another thread, we have to accept that Highbury is frequented by middle/upper class people with money, people who go to just to watch and are probably not all that bothered if we win or lose, they see it as their chance to watch Premiership football.

Its a shame but its how it is. I personally would sing throughout a match, I love singing at a game, but I feel a bit of a pr*ck getting up in the west lower and singing, if no one else joins in.

The other problem is that the North bank doesn't have a hardcore of season ticket holders, all in one place, like the clock end. It different people in different seats each week, and they may be there once a season or so. Its funny cos any of the pubs I go into before matches are usually full of people singing, but people keep quiet once they get into Highbury.

I sayy if someone has the boll*x to stand up and start a song, the rest of us should have the heart to join in!!!

marhes26

The game against Boro had quite a good atmosphere which proved what i have been thinking.The reason why Highbury is so quiet these days is that the majority of season ticket holders cant be arsed to sing!!!.Im a clock end season ticket holder and i've been sarcastically making comments at recent home games as i swear it it has got worse!!.I keep wondering what the players must be thinking? it's shameful.Next time your at a home game look round at the people next to you.I gaurantee they will be standing there looking round the stadium instead of the match.I want to slap these people.

gooner4eva

I would like to give a different perspective on this. I am from India and working in Cardiff currently. I have been to Highbury a few times and I felt that the reason a lot of people(like me) cant join in to songs is because they dont know the words. Its pretty hard to pick up the words in the stadium. Either you should have a good hang of the london accent or know the words before hand. I like the idea of song sheets for this reason. Hell they could even have some sort of a ticker board spelling out the song. That way whole stadium knows what song is on. I know it might sound a bit stupid but it will surely work.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
marhes26 said:
The game against Boro had quite a good atmosphere which proved what i have been thinking.The reason why Highbury is so quiet these days is that the majority of season ticket holders cant be arsed to sing!!!.Im a clock end season ticket holder and i've been sarcastically making comments at recent home games as i swear it it has got worse!!.I keep wondering what the players must be thinking? it's shameful.Next time your at a home game look round at the people next to you.I gaurantee they will be standing there looking round the stadium instead of the match.I want to slap these people.

So you want to slap me Marshes thanks :cry:
I Look around the stadium and I comment on whats going on to a blind lad next to me.
I tell him if I can see Sven or who is warming up.
I tell him what else is going on
I have spoken to the players as has the lad who is blind.
Please think do not comdem,everyone you do not know why they look around the stadium.
Maybe its their first time and they soaking up everything about the game. or maybe the person next to them has a disability and is getting told to them all about the game and anything else that may be of interest to the person they are with
I sing too(if you can call it that sounds more like I am in pain).durring the game

marhes26

Nat Nat,apologies to you!!i dont want to slap you!! of course your situation is different.I'm talking about people that are season ticket holders who have been going for years,im talking about a large section of the clock End (where i sit) who just cant be arsed.Saying that i still think it applies to most of the stadium.The fact that they are having all this for the man city game is actually quite shameful.It only highlights the problem with the atmosphere even more and it only gives other fans ammo to use against us.We should not have to be in a situation like this where this sort of thing has to be organised.NatNat no offence was intended and keep up the good work :wink:

stumpi1

cant get to the games ,but me and wife and kids sit down to every game,shirts on etc,and get so frusrtated with the lack of volume at highbury,compared to how we go nuts at every televised game,we got to get louder!!! :lol:

Eastrek

gooner4eva said:
Hell they could even have some sort of a ticker board spelling out the song. That way whole stadium knows what song is on.

They used to display words on the big screen like 1v0 to the arsenal and come on you reds

whateva happened to that???

johe

I haven't been to highbury lately, (seeing as I'm not from England) but from what I read on this forum it seems everyone's just afraid that if they start singing alone, they'll embaress themselves :D maybe having something that will get people to start singing isn't such a bad idea.

Once we score, everyone's singing, but it's even more important to sing when we're behind.

I think anything that improves the atmosphere is a good thing. And I disagree with the point that it will make us a laughing stock among other fans - what I think makes us a laughing stock is the fact that a club people claim to support - and pay good money to see - have to resort to creating initatives to vocalise their 'supporters'.

Every time I go to an Arsenal game I feel sick at the lack of crowd 'participation'. I always try to sing and chant although I do feel like people around me wish I would be quiet. I sometimes get the feeling that some people at the match are trying to be too pompus and 'civilised'. Far from improving footballs image, I think its ruining it. I'm not saying supporters should get mad and chuck bottles or something, but they should be expressing emotion! After all aren't they watching a team they love?

Oh yeah, and I agree with Johe too.

We're not Robbie Williams, we're Arsenal! So continue singing when we're winning and start singing when we loosing too!!!! :evil:

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom