• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kevin Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guillermo

"Kevin Nolan?!" I hear some of you cry.

But yes, Kevin Nolan could well be an answer to some of our midfield problems. Everytime I've seen Nolan play this year, be it in Europe or the Premiership, I have been thoroughly impressed with his performance. His work rate and determination is unquestionable and he is, with the exception of Davies, Bolton's focal point of attack through the centre.

Perhaps the target man system Bolton play suits him and compliments his style of play, our style is significantly different; but on away games, such as the shambles on Saturday, the guile and power of Nolan could be invaluable.

On away games we lack the box-to-box style combative midfielder that Vieira was for us. Nolan plays exactly that position for Bolton; though I must admit, he certainly lacks the passing ability of Cesc.

An unfashionable option, I know, but certainly a possibiliy.

Chips&CurrySauce

He's actually a very good player... But he plays for an unfashionable club and is under rated... At this moment in time he is better than all of our central midfield options which says it all really..

Guillermo

pha2er said:
there's a joke forum for a reason :p
Hehe. The reality is though, that our midfield was run-ragged on Saturday, and has been on many occassions away from home this season. Such a signing would be deemed unfashionable, as I said, and most probably quite unpopular; but Nolan has commitment, strength, stamina and some decent attacking attributes.

A midfielder of his mould would give us another option, I suppose.

Army of Me

Established Member
kevin nolan has commitment i'll give you that, but he doesnt have the necessary skill to play for us, he's perfect for boltons style of punt-n-run football but theres no way he'd survive playing for one of the top clubs.

he might be better than most of our midfield at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should be buying just above average players because we're going through a bad patch, we could easily get someone far better than nolan.

Guillermo

pha2er said:
kevin nolan has commitment i'll give you that, but he doesnt have the necessary skill to play for us, he's perfect for boltons style of punt-n-run football but theres no way he'd survive playing for one of the top clubs.

he might be better than most of our midfield at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should be buying just above average players because we're going through a bad patch, we could easily get someone far better than nolan.
I understand what you are saying, but perhaps this is where we are going wrong.

How I would love to see the likes of Parlour, Adams et al back. Whilst I am all for the beautiful football that Arsène has brought to the club, it really does need to be reinforced with some backbone.

Without some grit and determination in our side, I fear we are going to see many reoccurances of Saturday's game in the future. Many teams realise our weaknesses in the physical department, and we need to counteract this.

Army of Me

Established Member
you can have a strong backbone without sacrificing beautiful football.

to use an increasingly boring example, baptista would fit right in to our slick, quick, passing game but also provide the strength we're so desperately lacking.

mascherano's another one.

and more - kevin nolan is certainly not on my wishlist.

Gurgen

Established Member
There are stronger players out there we can buy who also have some talent.
No thank you.

dev_atdi

He's tenacious, committed and will fight for the cause. 3 of the traits hardly any of our players carry...we miss tenacity, commitment (especially in the middle of the park) and fighting for the ball and the win. Kevin Nolan isn't necessarily a quality player, he's just very very up for it and will seize any opportunity he gets.

Guillermo

pha2er said:

to use an increasingly boring example, baptista would fit right in to our slick, quick, passing game but also provide the strength we're so desperately lacking.

Yes, you are right, of course you can have a strong backbone without sacrificing beautiful football; our previous sides through the years have proved this.

To say that putting Nolan in place of Cesc, for example, would sacrifice a stylish brand of play is a bit harsh. First of all, Nolan does have a fair deal of technical talent, his passing may not be up to that of Cesc's, but he is not just a workhorse. Secondly, this is only the centre of the field, the area in which we seem to be increasingly out-muscled; what I am trying to say is that we can still accomodate an attacking, attractive brand of football, but more so on the wings.

As for Mascherano, I can't say I've seen him play, and I believe many go by his reputation for judgement; not that I'm suggesting you do so, of course.

A

Anonymous

Not a hope in hell Wenger would ever bid for Nolan simply because he is English and the manager is pathologically against the purchase and or promotion of any English player.

This team lacks heart for the fight. Buying more mercenaries won't solve that problem in a million years.

Viper

Established Member
pha2er said:

Exactly. I think Mascherano would be the perfect replacement for Gilberto, and he isn't afraid to stick a leg in, from what I saw when he played against Brazil when they beat them 3-1.

Guillermo

Viper said:
pha2er said:

Exactly. I think Mascherano would be the perfect replacement for Gilberto, and he isn't afraid to stick a leg in, from what I saw when he played against Brazil when they beat them 3-1.
Kevin Nolan isn't a defensive midfielder, he's an attacking midfielder.

When I suggested him, I wasn't referring to him as a replacement for Gilberto, but as an alternative to Fabregas. He possess great leadership skills, something our current crop of midfielders lack. He's the captain of Bolton, many forget that he is only 22.

Artillero

At Big Fat Sams press conference yesterday the press asked him about Arsenals and Sp**s intrest in Kevin Nolan.

I was not aware of any link, can anyone help out?

He is a player I have not seen too much of as Bolton are **** to watch but hes always good against us. Strong, skillfull and still young. He really needs a big move to get into the England frame.

longrufus

Established Member
Good player, but good enough for Arsenal? I have my doubts. He fits perfectly into the Bolton style, but i think he would struggle to cope with a style based on quick passing and movement. He simply hasnt got the technical ability.

And who exactly would he replace? For all his grit, he is no DM. He plays as the attacking CM. So do i see him displacing Fabregas, No. I would much rather see someone of better quality to come in.

"many forget he is only 22"

....The most likely reason for this is that he is 24

And we havnt even been linked to him, therefore this belongs in football talk.

Ratinho

Established Member
People showing up their lack of knowledge is amazy. :**)

Nolan is technically very good, aswell as being strong and athletic tbh. People assuming otherwise because he plays for Bolton?

He'd be a good addition, however this forum isn't for people's randomness with NO info to back it up AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom