• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Leonardo Bonucci

Eirico

Leonardo Bonucci is being tracked by top Premier League clubs Arsenal and Manchester United, who are looking to buy the Bari defender this summer.

Bonucci, who made his international debut for Italy against Cameroon in a friendly last month, is being scouted by both the Gunners and United after hitting the headlines for his performances in Serie A.

The 6' 3" centre-back would, at 22, be a good, young player to compliment William Gallas and Thomas Vermaelen as options at the heart of Arsène Wenger's defence next season.

However, with United as well as Chelsea and Manchester City thought to be showing an interest in the former Inter Milan youngster, the Gunners could be drawn into a bidding war for the player.

Bonucci is pushing for selection in Italy manager Marcelo Lippi's 23-man squad for this summer's World Cup in South Africa.

And, as a result, Wenger is keen to secure some kind of agreement on the player before the tournament squads are announced next month for fear other clubs will be alerted to his talents.

With Bonucci playing a starring role at centre-back this season, mid-table Bari still have an outside chance of trumping far bigger clubs for a European spot by the end of the campaign

Anybody seen him play? I like the idea of buying a new young CB backup in the summer. But can't really see why Man utd apparently are in for him as well, given they've already bought Smalling.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
He's been very good this season. I rate Ranocchia higher of the two centrebacks at Bari though, but he's been pinched by Inter already.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Is he really 6' 3" though? I've seen pictures and I swear he looks 5' 11 1/2"-6' tops. Someone get to the bottom of this ...

Also, how much? I see he's debuted for Italy, so quite a bit one would think.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Is he really 6' 3" though? I've seen pictures and I swear he looks 5' 11 1/2"-6' tops. Someone get to the bottom of this ...
:lol: Don't you dare start another one of those!

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Italians rarely move abroad (less so at that age) so I doubt it will happen. I think he'll only move to a major Italian club.

Arsegum

Armor for Sleep said:
Italians rarely move abroad (less so at that age) so I doubt it will happen. I think he'll only move to a major Italian club.

cough*Mannone*cough

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Arsegum said:
Armor for Sleep said:

cough*Mannone*cough

Well some Italians have moved obviously! I can't remember the last Italian to make a name for himself at a young age and then move abroad before already establishing himself at a top Italian club. I mean guy's in a similar position to Bonucci.

Mannone is/was a youth player.

Zico

Established Member
we're linked to an Italian every year, whether its Buffon, Chiellini or even naturalized Amauri. It never materializes. I'll care when I see it.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
Well some Italians have moved obviously! I can't remember the last Italian to make a name for himself at a young age and then move abroad before already establishing himself at a top Italian club. I mean guy's in a similar position to Bonucci.

Mannone is/was a youth player.
Diamanti, perhaps. Yeah, I know, I know. He was playing in Serie B, but still. Dude was 26 years old. You're right that they generally don't travel well though.

It's interesting that Bonucci is another one of those talents who have emerged from Inter's academy only to be shipped out, by the way. Their youth development history is full of chocking decisions. This is the club that shipped out Franco Baresi, Andrea Pirlo, Giuseppe Signori and Sebastien Frey without giving them a proper chance. I hope Davide Santon goes the same way. We could sweep him up.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom