• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
How people can say no to Allegri and list all his apparent faults but then go onto say they would give the job to Arteta truly baffle me.

Arteta may turn out to be great but how people can trust him in charge of the club in the state that it is in over someone like Allegri and his credentials is madness.

Because football fans naively think that just because he's worked with Pep, he's going to have the same kind of success. :lol:

If it was that easy, all Pep previous assistant's would be coaching top clubs right now. :lol:

I'm not saying that he won't turn out good. But there are no footballing facts or logical arguments to back Arteta for the job, right now.

I don't mind to take the gamble on him. But I'm tired of this narrative that somehow he's the new pep and can make his team play amazing football when he's never been in charge in his whole career yet.
This is just blind faith, as it is right now.

Maybe he is, maybe not. Let's be more humble and not pretend we know him as a coach, or what he would bring to the table. We have no sample size to judge him on.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If we are interviewing 10 or so people & mainly not in employment Marcelino expect to be there.

Lets just hope no powerpoint on Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Also less experienced that Freddie with not the same knowledge of players or attachment to fans.

I don't even mind if people want Arteta, I just find the arguments kind of stupid as no one knows what he has to offer and a lot of it is based on what 'Pep says', I don't want us hiring a manager because Pep said hes great, he may be great at City in their set up but Arsenal at this current stage is a complete disaster on and off the pitch.

Has Arteta been interviewed by the club? I cant even remember, anyone want to jog my memory on why he werent hired the last time he was strongly linked?

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Do you remember when the previous Klopp assistant at dortmund was rumoured to take the job after Sir Wenger?

Fans were really sceptial about it.
And yet, they're all dreaming about Arteta.

I don't understand the logic tbf.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Marcelino_Garc%C3%ADa_Toral.jpg
I'm crying, he actually does look like a jockey :rofl:

Imagine an Arsenal Manager having a monobrow

Manberg

Predator
I don't even mind if people want Arteta, I just find the arguments kind of stupid as no one knows what he has to offer and a lot of it is based on what 'Pep says', I don't want us hiring a manager because Pep said hes great, he may be great at City in their set up but Arsenal at this current stage is a complete disaster on and off the pitch.

Has Arteta been interviewed by the club? I cant even remember, anyone want to jog my memory on why he werent hired the last time he was strongly linked?

They were really impressed by Arteta. Only reason Emery got the job over him was because Arteta didn’t have his own team of staff to come with him but Emery did.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Marcelinho took Valencia from back to back 12th place finishes to champions league spots in the space of a season.

Not my ideal candidate, but he isn't a bad manager if the right man currently isn't available.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Marcelinho has done a good job in spain with his teams.
He took Villarreal from the second division to a top 4 seed in a short span of time, building his team around youngsters and playing progressive football.
At Valencia he made them a CL club again after a 12th seed the previous year.

But both time he left his club because he had issues with his board.

Can he translate his success to a higher level? This is a good question, idk.

There has been a lot of successful coaches lately coming from smaller clubs. We should'nt dismiss them completly just because they were never in charge of a top club.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Marcelinho has done a good job in spain with his teams.
He took Villarreal from the second division to a top 4 seed in a short span of time, building his team around youngsters and playing progressive football.
At Valencia he made them a CL club again after a 12th seed the previous year.

But both time he left his club because he had issues with his board.

Can he translate his success to a higher level? This is a good question, idk.

There has been a lot of successful coaches lately coming from smaller clubs. We should'nt dismiss them completly just because they were never in charge of a top club.

Well,Emery was also rated high in Spain.Did good job with Valencia and Sevilla.It's just different league and pressure isn't that big like in Arsenal atm.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
They were really impressed by Arteta. Only reason Emery got the job over him was because Arteta didn’t have his own team of staff to come with him but Emery did.

If that is true then that is pretty much decided from the board that he is 100% the right guy, they obviously back Freddie, Bould hasnt gone anywhere, strange reasoning to be honest.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Well,Emery was also rated high in Spain.Did good job with Valencia and Sevilla.It's just different league and pressure isn't that big like in Arsenal atm.

I don't like this kind of argument. Just because Emery has been a failure at arsenal in England doesn't mean we should dismiss all coaches coming from Spain.

There's much more to it than where they're coming from.

Even in the same league going from a smaller club to a top one is always a risky move. Look at Moyes for instance who was highly rated and even backed by Sir Alex to take his job after his retirement. And we all know how it turned out.
On the other hand Pochettino has succeeded from Southampton to S*urs.

We can't predict how it will turn out.

clovis

Nah, same problems under two newer managers. Recruitment is the issue. Wenger didn't buy Sokratis or Luiz you numpty.

typical wenger loyalist who won’t accept that the man was finished and made plenty of blunders :lol:

who signed Lacazette and aubameyang in consecutive windows and what was that point of signing the former?

Who signed Xhaka?

who persisted with a championship level GK like Almunia for years?

Wenger failed to fix the defense for over a decade and signed the likes of Silvestre and Squillaci. Luiz and Papa are world beaters compared to them.

yes blame the board now for not giving him funds, as if you need to spend 50m to buy superior players to Almunia, Chamakh, Silvestre, Squillaci etc

the only “numpties” are the wenger worshippers who refuse to accept that he was finished and the club had to move on.

the straw that broke the camel’s back was when his team producing relegation form in 2016 after beating Leicester at the Emirates and reducing the point to 1 gap only.

Not to mention he didn’t sign a single outfield player the previous summer.

Emery failed badly, but he also had to clean up the mess that Wenger created over a decade.

Players with piss poor mentality, no defensive structure, liabilities like Özil on absurd wages etc. blaming the board and the lack of funds is a convenient excuse.

Sure they played a part, but Wenger’s own decline and refusal to evolve ultimately proved his downfall..

There is a reason why no big club has touched wenger with a barge pole since he left arsenal. That is all that needs to be said. The man was finished as an elite manager.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Fraudulent stuff if true. Raul obviously has a type, mid table quality Spanish managers.

Well he made back to back top 4 and got into the CL.
It's not just mid table by any metrics.

But sure, dreaming about a guy who's never been in charge as a head coach is a safer bet.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I don't like this kind of argument. Just because Emery has been a failure at arsenal in England doesn't mean we should dismiss all coaches coming from Spain.

There's much more to it than where they're coming from.

Even in the same league going from a smaller club to a top one is always a risky move. Look at Moyes for instance who was highly rated and even backed by Sir Alex to take his job after his retirement. And we all know how it turned out.
On the other hand Pochettino has succeeded from Southampton to S*urs.

We can't predict how it will turn out.
This is all true, but it's still a risk to see if Marcelino can make the step up to a top club. They need someone proven at the highest level, because for all we know 3rd might be as good as it gets with Marcelino. And if they're going to make a risky appointment it'd be better to go with someone like Arteta because we don't know what his ceiling is. The risk might be greater but so might the potential reward.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Worth noting that Marcelino plays a 442, which our board will see as a bonus to squeeze Auba/Laca in and Pepe at right mid.

Between 2017 and when he left Valencia he had lost 16 away games out of 25 losses overall.

In comparison in Emery's stint with Sevilla he lost 37 away games out of 52 losses overall.

With a managers record I tend to look at their away record as that is where we seem to slip up the most, Frankfurt was our first home loss of the season. We are usually fine at home, any manager will be fine with us there. Its the away form that needs serious work.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Sounds as though Marcelino is a top candidate, I've never heard of him tbh, can anyone explain what he is like as a manager, whether he is worth going for or what type of football he prefers to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom