• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
I personally do not want Arteta now. I wouldn't even take Pep now talkless a Pep lite. Pep has shown (and even more this season) that when he doesn't have millions to throw at a problem, he's not capable of solving that problem.
Hiring Arteta and thinking he will do anything different is just wishing on horses.

I'd rather back Freddie with his own back room staff till end of season before getting a more experienced manager
Only agree with the not wanting the Arteta part. Backing Freddie is not a solution either.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's really not so much about tactics, Freddie is pretty much playing the team that most on here wanted to see, but it's only a marginal improvement.

The players need to work their ass off and be aggressive, with a few results they could get some confidence back. If that's not the base, moving players around a little won't make a difference.

Moving players around will make a difference. For example we currently play 4-2-3-1. Everyone loves the idea of Martinelli-Auba- Pepe with Özil behind them. On fifa you can thread through balls all day. In reality, when we dont have the ball Özil becomes a passenger and we effectively play a 4-4-2 with two central midfielders who have no sprinting ability over long distances.

Moving to a proper 3 man midfield. Not a number 10. Two number 8s protecting a 6 would make a massive difference.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Think if he comes most people will just support him. Anything anyone else has said about his management ability just flies over me as il be opposed until his name is on the door.

He could definitely be the next great thing and bring back our Arsenal, but he could equally send us to the championship.

Im just not excited. It doesn't feel like the next great chapter we were promised with Arsenes departure.

Im in agreement with you there.

Whereas a bold move this, I still feel as though we could do better. There are managers out there now who are showing a level of dynamicism that we should be involving ourselves with.

Wenger's appointment and presence for many years had us at the cutting edge of football strategy. We should have continued this tradition.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You need a structure that allows you to defend as a unit and we've got a chronic problem with too much space between the CM line and our defenders which ultimately allows the attacking players to gather pace before hitting the defensive line.

If Arteta finds a short fix for now as to how we can do better in that regard, we should look way more solid again. Bigger improvements won't come overnight though.

Agree here. I still think defensive problems aren't as much about individuals or formation or who plays where, but structural issues as an 11 man unit, as well as spacing and positional problems, allowing the opposition to cut through Arsenal too easily, as you rightly say. The team needs heavy coaching in these areas as well as be more fierce overall.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Moving players around will make a difference. For example we currently play 4-2-3-1. Everyone loves the idea of Martinelli-Auba- Pepe with Özil behind them. On fifa you can thread through balls all day. In reality, when we dont have the ball Özil becomes a passenger and we effectively play a 4-4-2 with two central midfielders who have no sprinting ability over long distances.

Moving to a proper 3 man midfield. Not a number 10. Two number 8s protecting a 6 would make a massive difference.

Emery tried every formation under the sun, we were equally inept with a 433 as with everything else.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

I like the sound of that.

Who would you have as our midfield three, assuming everyone is fit and in reasonable form?

Two number 8s would probably need to alternate in their positioning so as not to create a space between our lines. Ideally for me a trio of Torreira, Willock and Ceballos/Özil would give us some possession ability, in addition to steel when tracking backward. I would also not have both fullbacks up at the same time, just to give our backline more bodies to deal with counter attacks.

Oh, and I'd introduce fouling too.

9jagooner

He raised the bar for the entire league as well, insanly improved players that were laughed at before and it took another generational manager (Klopp) to catch up to him.

The dip this season was something to be expected and exaggerated by injuries. What @9jagooner spouts is insane.

City have always had injuries. Difference this season is that they've not given him money to spend. It's the same City that had best goalkeeper in England and England no 1 but went on to spend loads on Bravo and when that didn't work, spent on Edilson. Same City that broke records signing Stokes only to end up on the bench and then brought in Otamendi, Laporte, etc.
By the way, this isn't about Pep's ability as a manager, just saying it's no coincidence that he's succeeded when he's had the opportunity to spend money on players.
Do you think unproven Pep-Lite will have that kind of money to spend at Arsenal?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
It would be great to bring in a top assistant coach to help Arteta. He needs someone experienced by his side

There's a couple of German teams doing something like a permanent assistant regardless of who is the manager and his staff. Gerland at Bayern, now they're trying this with Flick, Stuttgart now try it with Widmayer, Gladbach have Geideck since 2009.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

I'll be giving Arteta the first half of his debut match before starting the life after Arteta thread.

Very generous terms. My breaking point is the first goal we concede on his watch, which shouldn't be long in the offing :lol::lol:

Emery tried every formation under the sun, we were equally inept with a 433 as with everything else.

The problem with Emery is that he thought he could just change formation 100 times during season and it would work.

If he just found one formation in his first season, twisted and tweaked it and asked for players that fit that formation in the summer his problems would propably be less this seaaon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom