• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool next season

visitor99

This thread is largely for Liam346 - the Liverpool supporter here, but anyone can take a crack at it if they like.

In another thread I saw him say that Cisse's transfer has/will come from the previous years budget. On top of that there is 30 million already approved for new purchases for next season, plus possibly another 45 million from the Thai bid. Add to that between 3 and 6 million from Heskey's transfer (say 5 million for a nice round figure, possibly including another sale or two) for a hypothetical total of 80 million.

So say all that actually eventuates. Liverpool have Cisse and another 80 million on top to spend on transfers for next season.

a. What should they do? Who should they sell and who should they buy?
(don't necessarily have to give names for possible transfer targets, could be more general like promising youngsters or world class or whatever)

b. What would you need to achieve to consider next season successful?

Just curious.

liam346

Thanks for the question i will endeavour too give a reply as best i can.

Yes the Cisse transfer was out of last years budget as you have stated.I cant tell you where to find it but also the figure of 30 million has been quoted on the official Liverpool site as the official transfer budget for this summer.Some say where does the money come from.....look on the UK rich list and you will see either David Moores or the Moores family as fairly high with a fortune of up to 1.5billion STG (how reliable who could ever know).With the Thai deal (another debate so no opinion offered) of the approx 70 mill offered some 45 Mill has been earmarked for transfers, however i wonder if that will be this years budget or move into Jan or next year.One thing is for sure, if benitez is Manager, and it does seem likely, then he will be given hefty funds to spend.

What constitutes success for Arsenal , Man Utd and Liverpool and even the rabble in South London.......the answers the same.No club has the right to expext trophies that is arrogant, i do expect to be challenging though, in fact i demand it.That is not an unfair expectation for any CLUB that should pride itself on being in the upper echelons of the game.We have in the past been at the pinnacle, today we stare up and it hurts.Will money solve all the problems, i never used to think so but football has changed in a short time and maybe, i said maybe we have caught on to it.Off the field Chelsea and Manure do lead the way like it or not so do we sit back or do we compete..................am sure Gunners fans (of whom i know plenty and respect too ) feel the same way.So we compete..............you are in the ascendency , which i find easier to stomach rather than the other mobs, but i do expect we should chase you...and hard, nothing else is good enough.

Do i expect to win the league next year........NO.But if we don't come 2nd i will count it as a failure.A view i feel shared by all Liverpool supporters.If we want to claim back the high ground then we have to aim for it.And if that takes seriuos money then the club should not and it seems is not afraid to do so.

Which players.................i am comfortable with the basis of the team.And feel we need to add possibly 2 seriuosly high quality players to the midst.A very decent Centre back.................one i feel with experience over pace (Ayala seems to be flavour of the day this week....lol).But he has to be experienced yes and able to play the ball out.Consign the long ball to the past, we do have some skilled players start exhibiting those skills, and regularly instead of relying on Stevie Wonder!!!!!Another midfielder i feel is necessary, i think Hamannn is splendid but because of the style or pace of the centre backs he has to drop too deep , therefore rendering the midfiled ineffective as we play with 3 centre backs.So a decent centre back enables a deecent midfielder to start creating a la GARY MAC ( a crying shame Jari Litmanen is injury prone)............am not sure whether it should be an all energy Baraja or an all skill Rosicky type.I would be happy with Malbranque on the right though as a personal preference.

Strikers..............we need another, an artist , a creator , Kewell is good, but is he good enough, Time will tell.What would i give to have somebody in the Dalglish/Bergkamp mould.

The oft quoted 'Liverpool Way" , esp on Liverpool sites, is not to buy the best players but turn the players into thebest team.I still think that stands............and would never deviate from it.What i would not want is a huge shopping list drawn up a la Chelsea/Utd.As a Liverpool fan i have always admired Arsenal and love the competition we have had down the years long may that continue.Why is it so good...........because both clubs i belive represent true football.........................they do not represent the PLKC or Rent BOy cheque books.

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>**** i'm knackered, enjoy, feel free to discuss, but i promise a debate.,..........................as it should be

KoLo28

With all this money, Liverpool should be a force in the next year and beyond. Dudek is a good keeper, however the defence infront of him look shakey atm, two new defenders needed. In the midfield you've got Gerrard, Murphy, Kewell to stay perhaps one or two more with litmanen and hamman back up. Upfront Owen is always going to start if fit and to accomodate him you need a bergkamp type player, someone with a killer instinct who can sit behind him and thread perfect passes. Keep Baros, & diouf.

Sell cheyrou, biscan, smicer, traore

Bring in two defenders, two mid and a striker.

lewdikris

Established Member
Quite where Litmanen, who's gone back to Scandanavia having been so injured he had to leave Ajax comes into this i don't know...

But if Liverpool get a right winger/playmaker, a new centre half and maybe a new central midfielder they should be genuine contenders next year.

Contenders for second place, that is....

I gotta say I look forward to the arrivals of Mourinho, Benitez and even Santini. The Premiership generally lacks tactical organisation, and if they can add to the work done by Wenger and Ferguson in improving the overall standards, then all the better.

It will make Arsenal a better team as well in the long run - better competition at home makes for better competitiveness for everyone in Europe: you only have to look at the standards in the late 70s and early 80s when the Car Thieves, Forest and Villa all won the European Cup to see that....

KingReyes

Established Member
lewdikris said:
It will make Arsenal a better team as well in the long run - better competition at home makes for better competitiveness for everyone in Europe: you only have to look at the standards in the late 70s and early 80s when the Car Thieves, Forest and Villa all won the European Cup to see that....

Good point Lewd, Manure have struggled to do in Europe what they have done in the EPL due to the lack of competition in the past, however now with the strengths of Arsenal and now Chelscum have seem to have made english clubs more fearful in Europe and stronger competiton in the EPL can only make those premiership teams in Europe stronger.

lewdikris

Established Member
I genuinely hope this could lead to a second golden age for English clubs in Europe - if we can get four or five genuinely competitive teams who are rich, powerful and well organised (and bloody good) then we could be in that situation Spain's been in recently, which Italy had ten years ago and we haven't had since pre-Heysel: situations where 2 or 3 semi-finallists in the Champions League would most likely be English. It's for the good of the game - and our national team in the longrun...

Sammer

Established Member
To me it seems that British Clubs will play a huge role in european football in the next years, although I feel it will be rather Arsenal and Chelsea (maybe Liverpool on UEFA Cup Level :wink: ), rather than ManU.

It all depends how serious and professional Fungie manages to strengthen his squad - with a great manager like Benitez, I would actually rate Liverpool higher than ManU (given some adjustment time for the new coach).

I heard that Aliaksandr Hleb from VFB Stuttgart is already in contract negotiations with Liverpool.
He is an outstanding young player and would perfectly fit their squad.

Gooner_Milton

Agreed.

I'll much prefer the EPL to be a league where 3-4 teams fight for the top spot instead of a 2 horse race every year. Not only will it bring more money and prestige to the league, it'll also improve our competitiveness in Europe. Look at how it is in Italy. Teams like Juve, Lazio, the 2 Milans, Roma etc fight for the Scudetto every year. As long as we're in the top 3 every year, I'll be more than satisfied. Of course, I'll like us to go one up and retain the EPL.

If we can win the UEFA CL, it'll be a much welcomed bonus, but our priority every year is to win the EPL.

As for Liverpool, I welcome a resurgent Liverpool. It should make things a lot more interesting than they already are. It's not just the Scousers who had to put up with Houlier's Liverhoof, casual viewers had to put up with that rubbish too. A stronger Liverpool should heat things up for our other rivals notably Chelski and Manscum. I would eagerly welcome back the Pool/Mancs rivalry of the past. Add to Manc City snapping at their heels, it should be interesting to see how the **** manage.

Of course, for all our well wishes to Pool, lets all hope their success is at the expanse of our rivals and only that. :wink:

Adam

Established Member
lewdikris said:
I genuinely hope this could lead to a second golden age for English clubs in Europe - if we can get four or five genuinely competitive teams who are rich, powerful and well organised (and bloody good) then we could be in that situation Spain's been in recently, which Italy had ten years ago and we haven't had since pre-Heysel: situations where 2 or 3 semi-finallists in the Champions League would most likely be English. It's for the good of the game - and our national team in the longrun...

Great thought, isn't it?

Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Benitez, and Robson... who Newcastle may be thinking about replacing.. maybe Lippi would be the only competitive choice available in the world to match these guys.

Sammer

Established Member
...Hitzfeld doesn´t have (or want) a job at them moment, but I doubt that he´d go for Newcastle :wink:

JazzG

Established Member
I doubt Liverpool have 45mill to spend this summer. Remember they are having problems funding their stadium and need a large sum of cash in order to get a loan for it. So don't think they are gonna blow all their money.

£14mill on Cisse and I think they have around £10-£15mill more to spend.

I also agree with lewdikris. The addition of these new managers will make us and the league stronger. IMO if Wenger hadn't come to us Man utd wouldn't of won the CL, when we came someone finally came who could push them so they had to go out buy and raise their levels. We in recent times also have raised our game to overtake them again. Next season we will possibly have to finish on 90 points again to win the title.

Gooner_Milton

all this talk of Pool getting 45+ million to spend is a bit premature isn't it?

LOL if Lippi goes to Newcastle we're need to finish 114 points to win the EPL.

liam346

JAZZ.........as i said before Cisse is bought from last years money not this years.Thats a fact.The funding for the new stadium is in place, the concern is getting started but the genuine belief is that it will start in 12 months and be finished in 2007.I note with interest Everton are making noises about groundsharing........i have to say i hear a lot of hot air about not wanting to share with the the Evertonians.As a kid i grew up on the Kop and yes it would be hard to groundshare but if it benefits then do it i say.Alas my poorer informed fellow fans seem to disagree

LEWDIKRIS...............Golden age of football i do belive is upon us and i for one am very excited about it, because before too long i do believe the benfits will flow into the National team.Would really like to see the Geordies get that bit more, if they where also in a position to really push on that would be superb.What i meant by Litmanen is that had Houllier stuck with him, and had he not been so injury prone i feel we would have seen a different style however i also think Houllier didn't have the bottle for flair players, he did not trust them

And if you finish on 90 points next i will eat my hat, no ****in way, your 1st loss will be in the North West.......................................lol

Aussie

Established Member
I still belive the only three sides that have a real chance of taking the league out next season us, United and Chelsea. In the next few years Liverpool will join them however Newcastle seem to be in a downward spiral. If they missed out on the UEFA cup spot it could have been disatorious for them. They could have been the next leeds. We maybe not that bad.

Gooner_Milton

Hopefully not.

I like Shearer and crew and have the utmost respect for Sir Bobby.

Besides, the Newcastle fans are top class.

Arsenal316

I've said this before. Liverpool have the talent to challenge. The coach was holding them back. Now that he is gone, and Benitez is in, if he can get any type of organization back into that line-up, they will challenge.

If they do get Cisse, he along with Kewell and Owen will be a good strike force. I honestly hope they play Riise at LM, cause he is one talented player. Hamman and Gerrard are ok in the midfield, but I've never really liked Hamman. I think Liverpool could find somebody better than him, (Malbranque perhaps).

I like their chances. They will be a better team this year. I think a top 3 finish is definitely in the cards.

A.Hussain

if the pool got money then they should invest in a playmaker attacker rosicky and a defeneder like mexes. with cisse upfront already, i think they are full on the strike options with owen and baros

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom