• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mancheater City: 115

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Don't even know what to say.

For people who have murdered/raped etc, I would bring the death penalty back, as I have said before.

Some sick ****s on this planet.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Ngl, always seemed like he wasn't well in the head but you sort of dismiss it as just him being a bit "different", this is a whole other kettle of fish tho.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Oh and, rape accusation gonna end a City player's career? I know a guy with a rape accusation, could be playing for City soon come to think of it, his career's doing just fine...

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Feel strongly on this.

When you do stuff like that, it really destroys the lives of many people and you should pay the price.

Try thinking strongly about it, not just feeling. Firstly nobody is God, nobody has a right to take life. Secondly it is not a deterrent. And thirdly you'd end up accidentally killing innocent people who've been wrongfully convicted.

Jesus, Riou! No big T for you!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Try thinking strongly about it, not just feeling. Firstly nobody is God, nobody has a right to take life. Secondly it is not a deterrent. And thirdly you'd end up accidentally killing innocent people who've been wrongfully convicted.

This hits close to home with me, as it happened to someone I know, and it's really affected them.

This isn't about Mendy, as he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, though the amount of people coming forward is troubling.

Just feel prison isn't enough for some, but don't think this discussion is for here...regret bringing it up to a degree, but as I said, I am angry with something that happened to someone I know.

RacingPhoton

Established Member

Agree with the third point and that's the only reason I am against death penalty. First is subjective. I am an atheist and can't relate to it. Second is based on dubious stats where they compared developed countries without death penalty to developing ones with death penalty. Top 2 countries with lowest murder rate(Japan and Singapore) have death penalty.
Survival is deeply programmed into us. Unless someone is a psychopath, impending death does act as a deterrent.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Agree with the third point and that's the only reason I am against death penalty. First is subjective. I am an atheist and can't relate to it. Second is based on dubious stats where they compared developed countries without death penalty to developing ones with death penalty. Top 2 countries with lowest murder rate(Japan and Singapore) have death penalty.
Survival is deeply programmed into us. Unless someone is a psychopath, impending death does act as a deterrent.

I was just being dramatic with the God thing, point is no one has the right to take life. But that's a philosophical point. On the stats, I can go look for articles but i'm pretty sure it's not a deterrent. Impending death is a deterrent in the sense that if you're standing on a cliff you're gonna try not to fall off it, the death penalty isn't "impending", it's a pretty abstract concept that I doubt people think about before they commit their crimes.

Ultimately it's just uncivilised, society moves forward, we don't think it's acceptable to throw our sh*t out the windows any more, it's no different with the death penalty, it's a relic from a less developed past.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I was just being dramatic with the God thing, point is no one has the right to take life. But that's a philosophical point. On the stats, I can go look for articles but i'm pretty sure it's not a deterrent. Impending death is a deterrent in the sense that if you're standing on a cliff you're gonna try not to fall off it, the death penalty isn't "impending", it's a pretty abstract concept that I doubt people think about before they commit their crimes.

Ultimately it's just uncivilised, society moves forward, we don't think it's acceptable to throw our sh*t out the windows any more, it's no different with the death penalty, it's a relic from a less developed past.
I have seen most articles which compare these statistics. Everything has this problem of comparing places which they shouldn't. There are multiple factors driving violent crime. They find places where there is high poverty or low literacy but having death penalty and compare them with places which are much developed but without death penalty. For some reason, they will never take Japan, Singapore or China to compare.

If you want to see if death penalty is a deterrent from crime, try asking any of the illegal drug gangs to pull the same stuff in Singapore. There are crimes of passion as you mentioned, which death penalty won't fix. Then there are thoroughly planned crimes on which death penalty will have some impact.

There are some valid counter arguments which I can agree on. Having death penalty means, a rapist might also try to kill the victim in fear of getting caught. And judges will be afraid of convicting a criminal because of the additional pressure that a wrong decision might result in an innocent getting killed.

On civility though, if someone tries to hurt me or my family member, i will go full berserk on them. Just because I am a civil person in the decent section of the society, I shouldn't hold back on certain situations. Civility is a social contract. It's void if one party breaks it. There are some criminals who don't deserve any kind of civility - like the ones involved in Nirbhaya rape case in India(don't read about it if you can't handle gore). The whole country rejoiced when they were executed. I just don't see a rational point in keeping them alive.

It's all too complicated. But I am against it purely because of the chance that an innocent might get executed.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom