• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manchester City 0-1 Arsenal: Return of the Super Ash

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Manchester City 0-1 Arsenal: Return of the Super Ash

Ashley Cole's first goal of the season was enough for Arsenal as the Gunners went back to the top of the table.

With Chelsea winning their early game against Middlesbrough, it was up to the Arsenal to get back their place at the top of the table.

After beating PSV 1-0 and drawing 2-2 with Bolton, fans have been left waiting for the next time their team gets back to their rampaging early season form. Unfortunately they will have to wait some more and hope things change against Rosenberg in midweek.

Cole's goal was an outside of the boot poke from about the penalty spot. After being put though by a combination Reyes and Richard Dunne, Cole finished with aplomb.

Cole rarely scores, but when he does they tend to be special and crucial. His last goal came 10 months ago against Dynamo Kiev at Highbury. The game was teetering out for a 0-0 draw that would have knocked out the Arsenal, but with 2 minutes remaining, Cole made a smart run and finished with a diving header from Henry's flick-on.

And with him scoring the solitary goal vs Manchester City on Saturday it is very early to conclude how far this goal will set Arsenal on their way to the title. For now though it has kept Gooners worldwide purring at the fact that they have been top of the table all season.

The game saw the return of Sol Campbell and it was not surprising to see that it was Pascal Cygan who made way. Arsène Wenger had not been sure about whether or not to play Campbell, but with a worrying defensive display against Bolton which saw Arsenal drop their first points of the season, coupled with the fact that Gilberto was missing with a back strain, defensive stability was needed. It had been Campbell's first outing since playing so admirably for England in their quarter-final loss to Portugal in Euro 2004.

Gilberto, who had picked up a back strain, was replaced by Edu, who was starting his first game of the season. Pires also picked up a foot injury against so was replaced by Reyes, who looked to be rested ahead of the midweek Champions League game against Rosenberg.

Manchester City had started brightly. Shaun Wright-Phillips, who Arsène Wenger had stated interest in previous to the game, looked lively and provided the cutback for Jon Macken to shoot. Unfortunately for the home fans Jens Lehmann saved. Lehmann then had to come out and got to the ball before Maken after Nicolas Anelka had put him through.

The home side were determined and played to their strengths; attack. Defence had always been their problem, and their weaknesses were compounded once again.

Within seconds of kick-off Bergkamp played a sublime ball to Fredrik Ljungberg, but David James rushed out to deny the away side a goal.

On 14 minutes Jose Antonio Reyes flicked a ball into the path of Thierry Henry. While trying to clear, Richard Dunne inadvertently hooked the ball into Ashley Cole's pass. He dashed into the box, and shot into the bottom corner with the outside of his boot.

Once again Arsenal were in the lead. They were cruising and needed to score a second goal to ease their fans hearts. They were after all punished for that last week. In their defence though the away side were in ascendancy and were unlucky not to score more.

A corner kick had found its way to Henry and he attempted to free Reyes into the box. James had rushed out and blocked Reyes' shot.

Midway through the first half Henry controlled a ball on the corner of the area, lost a defender, and flashed a shot wide of the far post.

The home side were not willing to lie down though and nearly equalised when Sun Jihai's shot nearly went in.

Manchester City came out of the blocks flying after the interval, and had looked like a new team.

However Arsenal could have killed the game off. Henry ran down the wing, beat Dunne, and fed Ljungberg, whose shot got a touch by James and was cleared off the line by Jihai.

But Man City almost scored and Lehmann was fortunate as Macken's free kick was touched by Anelka and Kolo Toure. Lehmann then tipped over a free kick from Anelka.

Reyes was then taken off as Arsène Wenger decided that Arsenal needed more defensive stability, thus putting on Gael Clichy.

Ashley Cole nearly scored his second of the evening after hitting a post from the byline. It could have been intended as a cross, but had it gone in the game as a contest would have been over.

Manchester City had piled on the pressure late on, without creating any clear cut chances.

Arsenal had won, got their three points, and went back to the top of the table.

Job done, and it puts them in good stead for the game vs Rosenberg in midweek.

A

Anonymous

Nicely written Loyan.

Watching it on MOTD, we didn't play half as bad as I was being told we did.

slapz

ASHBURRN said:
Nicely written Loyan.

I agree that we didnt play as bad as told but I do wonder who told you we played bad

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ASHBURRN said:
Nicely written Loyan.

It was a pleasure.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom