• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manchester United v Arsenal (FAC 5th Round)

Ally

Manchester Utd 0 - Arsenal 2 (Edu 35, Wiltord 52)

Some games just give you a feeling of power. You have the right to conduct yourself with an acceptable arrogance around your pals afterwards. You go around carrying an aura of smug happiness. Everyone who supports the opposition must, as stated in the unwritten laws, awknowledge your temporary superiority and keep their heads low.

Today, Arsenal showed why they're the best team in the country. An awesome exhibition of passing, ball control and composure in the midst of a disgraceful show of wild tackles from an opposition on the wind up. As in the title decider last year, Manchester took it upon themselves to kick us out of the game. The bait was there - we didn't rise to it. Two set-to's involving at least eight players each in the first five minutes, three yellow cards in the first seven - all in all, the most scandalous opening to a game I can remember.

The referee conducted himself admirably, with the exception of a stonewall penalty that was turned down late on, and kept control in a blazing situation that had threatened to get completely out of hand. Pity that this is the exception, rather than the rule.

Ultimately, our defence of our trophy hinged around an astonishing miss from an apparantly "world class" player. Keown slipped, the ball dropped to Giggs, Seaman came, missed but thankfully didn't bring him down. A sidestep around Campbell who had lost his balance set up a completely open goal from the edge of the box. Roll it in? Tuck it neatly in the corner? Blast it down the middle? Nope. Giggs, presumably attempting a mixture of the second and third option, leaned back, swung...and ballooned it over the bar in an absolutely hilarious fashion. Had me on the floor laughing. At the same time, it must be said that I nearly had a heart attack. An incredible let-off, and the turning point of the tie.

Straight away, Arsenal broke up the park and forced four successive corners. Vieira slowly resurrected his partnership with Edu, and by the half hour mark the two had complete control of the midfield. Keane and Scholes were about as effective as Kaba Diawara on tranquilisers. Edu in particular was sensational. Based on today, I don't see any way Gilberto is going to get back in. Razor on the right was smashing also, breaking up attacks and initiating many of Arsenal's. His distribution was absolutely first class and he's a contender for the player with the most composure on the Highbury books.

On 35 minutes, a studs-up lunge on Vieira resulted in a freekick in Thierry territory. Edu stepped up and curled one into the top of the wall. Barthez, who had dived to his left hand post, realised too late what was about to happen. In slow motion, the deflection off Beckhams' head started to loop into the far corner. Slaphead tried to change direction, lost his balance, fell over, tried to get up and slipped. Meantime, the ball drifted satisyingly straight into the corner of the net. Pandemonium. Edu was mobbed by the Arsenal team, and there was suddenly an air of panic around Old Trafford. The game was starting to shape up in an eerily similar way to the title decider.

Up front, Franny Jeffers gradually began to show us all exactly how good he is. He ran with the ball brilliantly. He ran off the ball brilliantly. He held it up brilliantly. Remember Kanu's role alongside Wiltord on May 8th? Think that, but better. Jeffers has speed, he has awareness and he he's starting to turn into something far more than a goal-hanger. He also has fifteen years of playing ahead of him. The anti-Jeffers lobby can now, officially, shut up.

Arsenal passed out the half in their 'training ground' mode. You almost began to sit back and relax. And then it hit you. Arsenal, with a second-choice strike force and a midfield that was far from first choice, were toying with Manchester United at Old Trafford. Even in the title decider, we were mostly absorbing opposition pressure. Here, we were strolling about, casually breaking up anything and everything they threw at us, while remaining a potent threat every time the midfield got possesion of the football.

Still, you felt that one goal wasn't going to be enough. Well, there's a simple enough solution to that.

Seven minutes into the second half, Edu got possesion in a breakaway 25 yards out. Wiltord made the run, and the Brazilian angled a sublime through ball into his path. Ferdinand came across, and was promptly left on his backside by some trademark Spinner movement to the right hand side. Sylvain was clear. Barthez advanced, Wiltord waited for the angle he needed...and calmly passed the ball into the net. 52 minutes gone, 2-0, and Arsenal simply don't lose two goal leads.

And that was that, really. All I can think of in the category of Manchester chances were a shoddy Giggs volley into the ground that went for a throw in, and a stooping Solskjaer header into the side netting. Apparently, the babyface had been distracted by a shout from Nistelrooy. Sympomatic of Manchester's weakness - a complete and utter reliance on the cheating Dutchman. Today, Sol Campbell cut off all Manchester delivery in the air and on the ground, in a largely subtle and uncredited but brilliant display.

I did mention a stonewall penalty - Wiltord went clear off a terrific Pires through ball that had left Wes Brown off balance. Trying to get back, Brown lunged for the ball, missed, and took Sylvan out from behind with two feet. Nothing was given. At that stage in the game, it was really academic, but by rights Arsenal were entitled to a penalty, and Wes Brown should have been asked to leave.

Henry came on (For Jeffers? Didn't quite understand that one, seeing as Franny had been acting as the Arsenal engine room) and performed exactly as he did against Newcastle, ie. p!ss poor. I'm assuming he's saving himself for Ajax.

Hold on. I'm picking holes in Arsenal's display. That's not on, really. In short, we were awesome. In many ways, this was a better display than the title decider game. What really sums everything up is that David Seaman did not have one save to make.

Summing up, we brushed aside Manchetser's strikerforce and midfield, despite Nistelrooy and Beckhams' best efforts to get Keown sent off. We helped ourselves to two goals and defended in a true Arsenal style while never getting our shirts dirty and keeping up a lovely, self assured swagger.

Overall, following football doesn't have too many pay-offs that are as satisfying as this was. Jubilation mixed with a slight hint of relief (Face it, you were cr*pping yourself beforehand...well I was, at least). This has left us as clear favourites to retain the FA Cup. Without wanting to put the jinx on us, on today's evidence perhaps on my '1971, 1998, 2002' t-shirt, I'd better get ready to add 2003.

Man of the Match

I don't like singling out players for special praise after a team performance of this quality. However, the two who's effort and class leapt out at you most were Edu, who if he keeps up this standard willl be a regular starter from now on, and Francis Jeffers. This game will be seen in the future as the true turning point of his Arsenal career.

Moan of the Match

There's no argument about this. Manchester United are a team filled with players who cheat. Who dive. Who kick the opposition when they're on the floor (Literally)Specifically, David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Paul Scholes.

Moment of the Match

The celebrations after Edu's goal. This sums up exactly what we stand for.

Ally Winford

-This one's going to be difficult to beat. The moment of the season so far. Enjoy the rest of the weekend -

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom