• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marcel Sabitzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moah

Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Comparing Sabitzer to Xhaka is no insult either as Xhaka is clearly a very good player and I'm actually sad to see him leave.

Xhaka might not be quite good enough as starter for a club of our ambition but is a big loss for the team anyway
Awesome to get an Austrian's pov on Sabitzer. I'm obv no Austrian but have watched Leipzig quite a bit over the last few years because of Emil Forsberg. I've also played football all my life and I personally don't see how they are similar 🙈 😬

I'm genuinely interested in your perspective here (being both Austrian as well as a footballer) and would very much appreciate if you could expand a bit on how/why you say they are similar. Either here or in DM :)

Kysus

Awesome to get an Austrian's pov on Sabitzer. I'm obv no Austrian but have watched Leipzig quite a bit over the last few years because of Emil Forsberg. I've also played football all my life and I personally don't see how they are similar 🙈 😬

I'm genuinely interested in your perspective here (being both Austrian as well as a footballer) and would very much appreciate if you could expand a bit on how/why you say they are similar. Either here or in DM :)
Both their main strength is positioning without the ball, Xhaka mainly just defensively, Sabitzer both ways.
They are both not the quickest but they are intelligent in shielding the ball with their body and generally move the ball quickly and forward if possible. Both can dictate play that way to an extent but due to lacking the finesse of the worlds best it's all fairly "straightforward". They are team-players who can adjust to all kinds of circumstances and work efficiently for the team but do lack the physical or technical tools to really impose themselves on the opposition like the best in the world can.
Having said that there are obviously quite a lot of differences too considering Sabitzer used to be a CAM and Xhaka a DLP and I would never play Sabitzer in the Xhaka role or the other way around as Sabitzer's strengths(creation) are better utilized closer to goal and Xhaka's (defence/positioning) a bit deeper.

It's pretty clear that losing Xhaka has been enforced on us so bringing in another experienced team-player who does a lot of dirty work but also offers a lot going forward would be a needed addition

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Both their main strength is positioning without the ball, Xhaka mainly just defensively, Sabitzer both ways.
They are both not the quickest but they are intelligent in shielding the ball with their body and generally move the ball quickly and forward if possible. Both can dictate play that way to an extent but due to lacking the finesse of the worlds best it's all fairly "straightforward". They are team-players who can adjust to all kinds of circumstances and work efficiently for the team but do lack the physical or technical tools to really impose themselves on the opposition like the best in the world can.
Having said that there are obviously quite a lot of differences too considering Sabitzer used to be a CAM and Xhaka a DLP and I would never play Sabitzer in the Xhaka role or the other way around as Sabitzer's strengths(creation) are better utilized closer to goal and Xhaka's (defence/positioning) a bit deeper.

It's pretty clear that losing Xhaka has been enforced on us so bringing in another experienced team-player who does a lot of dirty work but also offers a lot going forward would be a needed addition
Nice, thanks! Your comments make sense against this :)

I agree with most of what you write, but feel that the original claim that "they are similar" is a bit misguiding. It's more that they share some similar traits, but maybe that's just semantics. One thing I really disagree on is that they both generally move the ball quickly and forward if possible. Imo Sabitzer do this a lot more than Xhaka. Perhaps because of being a little more agile/mobile with quicker feet, but I definitely see a difference here. There's an argument to be made about BL vs PL but for me it translates to EL/CL as well.

I also agree that Sabitzer isn't a DLP profile, but what I do think is that he in a pivot together with Partey would facilitate faster transitions than Xhaka. I also think Sabitzer looks for a "chance creating" pass more often - a bit like Ceballos vs Xhaka - and imo our possession play would benefit from that.

Have you watched Leipzig the last two seasons regularly and do you think Sabitzer's been bad as CM/pivot in their 4231 and 3421, or why do you say you wouldn't play him in the same position? It clearly looks like it's been a very deliberate move by Nagelsmann to transition him to CM which I think is an encouraging sign as he tends to play an attractive brand of football.

Would love for @Toby Andrl to shed his opinions on all of this as well 😁

Bloodbather

Established Member

The thing that intrigues me about signing Sabitzer aside from his qualities as a player is that he'd give us tactical flexibility, which in turn gives us flexibility in our quest to bring in a creative midfielder.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Haven't seen a ton of Marcel Sabitzer, but he seem quite athletic and moves well, or am I mistaken here? He missed a fair amount of chances in the Euros but seems to have scored a fair bit while with RB Leipzig scoring 8 goals last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom