<

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

1. Simple. Isn’t played for tactical reasons.

8.5%
  2. Simple. Isn’t played because he isn’t good enough

27.9%
  3. Falling out with Arteta for some reason

12.4%
  4. Being frozen out in an effort to get him to leave. Arteta’s hands are tied

31.8%
  5. Because he didn't take a pay-cut

16.3%
  6. Personal reasons

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoonerJay24

GoonerJay24 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean a top team consisting of highly technically exquisite players couldn't implement a free flowing playing philosophy; so long as basic attacking and defensive duties are applied

If Wenger had the right players who could stay fit throughout campaigns he'd of won alot more with his primary philosophy. Although I admit he was inflexible at times.

Elwood, kash2 and krackpot like this.
  2. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

We don't have a plethora of technical players in our team though, do we?

3. Football Manager

Football Manager Copy & Paste Merchant

Did I say they played there for long? Just in a few appearances you know they are much better at involving in play and dominating possession.

And for your last point, it seems you agreed with me, he only focus in the final third.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

There's nothing new in tactics today, just rehashing of systems from the past. They've gone about as far as they can.

Much more important today is nutrition and player fitness levels, the technical quality of players, and peripheral systems like set pieces. Over half the goals in the 2018 WCup were scored from set pieces more than any other. England scored 9 of their 12 goals from set pieces and Southgate admitted spending more than half their preparation practising them. Saw a review of recent Champions League matches too, showing how many important matches were decided by set pieces.

People have this romantic notion of football that a good manager can take a well drilled side high up the league with his tactics. They can't and never have been able to without money and player quality. Klopp and Pep would be nowhere without the their players.

5. GoonerJay24

No but my response is to the other poster saying it's impossible to play free flowing football nowadays

kash2 likes this.
  6. Football Manager

No one says today's football tactics philosophy is anything new. I have stated in my last post, they are not new, bits adding up from old eras.

How you execute it is drastically different. This is what I mean by today’s football is different. It’s different because the individual players’ instructions and the tactical analysis, are executed in much more detailed way. You break your game into smaller phases/mini games. Divide you pitch into smaller grids, instructing your players to be at the right position/making the right movement at the right time. Instructions are a lot more specific and detailed.

Tell me this is not well planned and well instructed for both teams:

7. Football Manager

Use FA cup as an example, Chelsea’s team has talented players too. But Arteta did outclassed Lampard tactically, and that is why we won, we utilise auba’s strengths to the most. Here is how we create space for auba:

If we are near our own box, we play from the back.

1) Our CBs Luiz and Holding would spread wide. Our GK Martinez is a passing option. Our CB Tierney would shift to the LB position. The LB Niles would then tuck in as an extra CM. This created an overload on the left side and allows us to break Chelsea press as we are able to create a free man.

2) We would also have both CMs Xhaka and Ceballos dropping deep to provide more passing options. If needed, pepe would shift centrally and Laca would drop deep. To get more bodies in the middle, making the left overload more effective.

3) If the opponent commit players high up to lessened the effect of the left overload. Their right back will dragged high up. Lacazette dropping deep dragged a centre back off the equation. This leaves plenty of space to for auba. Auba, despite on the left, will have plenty of space to run into, running towards the central area 1v1, where originally it’d be 1v2 or 1 v3. Our team dropping deep also means that auba could exploit the space behind with pace.

Tell me this is not well planned. Other than this, our pressing is very organised, when we get back to our own half our team shape is organised. The timing for the players to charge out are all very organised. This is detailed game plan and you can see every players are well instructed of what to do in attack/build up/defend/pressing/transitions.

Godwin1 likes this.
  8. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find it. I can't even remember if it was an interview after he transferred to Barca or after he left them for Chesh!t.

As for the shots and dribbles per game you provided, I think Pep did him dirty by bringing him, because he had no clue where to put him in that line-up, so he had to play with 3 at the back to make room for him in the middle or even play him as a false 9, since he started to be used there by Del Bosque.

The bottom line is those tossers didn't need Cesc, but they wined and dined him in the media until he fell for their bullshit and left.

Makingtrax likes this.
  9. Football Manager

Spot on.

10. GoonerJay24

Your right in some ways but don't need to execute such approaches to win consistently, as I've said previously it's about player technique and physiological make up more than tactics

Makingtrax likes this.
  11. Makingtrax

Mate, football is not that closely controlled on the pitch. Of course Arteta has us organised. He's been playing football since he was 9 and has played with some excellent coaches. He knows what he's doing and is motivating players well.

But I watched us struggle against Watford, lose to Villa, and although we beat Liverpool and City they carved us apart numerous times but didn't convert some guilt edged chances. Against Chelsea, Auba took a glorious goal that was extremely difficult and probably would missed 7 times out of 10.

Football is not a game of chess, it's a game of odds. And those with the best players most often win.

'Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't' Chief Dan George, Little Big Man. That's football.

kash2 likes this.
  12. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

Don't start this mate I know what road you're heading down :lol: Managers often make the decisive difference I don't think this can be understated. Everything can be called a game of odds if you're going to be persistent with this.

Oxeki, Toby Andrl, Camron and 3 others like this.
  13. Makingtrax

They can, but only when two teams are reasonably evenly matched, otherwise the lower team needs a lot of luck. You and I have both seen enough games to know that. :lol:

kash2 likes this.
  14. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Alan Davies said on the Tuesday Club that there are rumours Özil got dropped from the team because he didn't want to take a knee before matches. When did this come about? :rofl:

kash2, Camron, Riou and 1 other person like this.
  15. American_Gooner

16. gamechannel

gamechannel Active Member

Jesus! This club will do anything to malign a player they are desperate to get rid of. First Özil was not willing to take a paycut although the other 2 players' names were never disclosed, then he was dropped for tactical reasons, then he was not fit, then he was magically fit, then he was not training hard, then he was not on board with Arteta's demands of the team, then he didnt fit in Arteta's plans, now he's a racist.. whats next? He's the bastard child of the devil?

This club does such a piss poor job of PR. Instead of creating this circus, just pay the guy off and send him packing. He's not the first toxic comtract in football history. Most clubs deal with such contracts tactfully, cut their losses and move on. But nope, not this club. They love drama!

fc honka, Elwood, Top Gun and 4 others like this.
  17. American_Gooner

It's nonsense man, he took a knee in the warm-up game against Charlton.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  18. Oxeki

How did the club paint him as a racist :lol:

You're getting triggered by words of a random guy on the internet who has no clue what's going on :lol:

For what it's worth I think Alan Davies is chatting shït. But I suspect you knew that anyway, but you still had to have your mini-meltdown :lol:

Calm down.

19. Oxeki

20. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

what beautiful football.. we were so lucky to have him for so long inspite of the ****show that the club management became over the years. He is a player better watched live... the constant drifting and moving ..knitting the game together ...blocking the channels ... one touch ...moving back ...moving up .... such economy of motion and touch ... what a player. you cant convince me otherwise. I have seen him play.

Top Gun, Oh_Snap and Makingtrax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.