• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tywin

He's not done it for us. Whethers hes a top player or not I dont know I dont watch enough football outside Arsenal to know or care but in an Arsenal shirt hes just not good enough. To think we could have signed Higuain and then Cesc the following season instead of him.

If you're happy with him in an Arsenal shirt your standards are too low.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He's not done it for us. Whethers hes a top player or not I dont know I dont watch enough football outside Arsenal to know or care but in an Arsenal shirt hes just not good enough. To think we could have signed Higuain and then Cesc the following season instead of him.

If you're happy with him in an Arsenal shirt your standards are too low.
Almost breaks assist record. Fans call him "not good enough". Couldn't make this up.

P.S. Mr Cesc fanboy, Fabregas is past it.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ah shame, did I strike a nerve there?
I just didn't see the point in starting a post like you did. It's almost as if you were disappointed by the lack of criticism he got after a decent game... Or was it some sort of weird pre-emptive measure :confused:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I just didn't see the point in starting a post like you did. It's almost as if you were disappointed by the lack of criticism he got after a decent game... Or was it some sort of weird pre-emptive measure :confused:
I wasn't disappointed but rather pointing out how the same old detractors come in here with the same old garbage no matter how he performs.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I wasn't disappointed but rather pointing out how the same old detractors come in here with the same old garbage no matter how he performs.
Before they had the chance to? Or even if they felt he didn't warrant criticism for the performance, and decided to just... leave it?

That's what I mean--say he done good, bad, ok, but to just come in here complaining about garbage comments before they happen, and in the process leave one of your own... Well. Doesn't help anything, does it?

And don't forget, this is a player thread on a footy forum, where you can try and keep things civil without aiming diatribe at others with an opinion just because yours is different.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
And don't forget, this is a player thread on a footy forum, where you can try and keep things civil without aiming diatribe at others with an opinion just because yours is different.
**** me that is rich coming from you. Time to look in the mirror buddy

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
**** me that is rich coming from you. Time to look in the mirror buddy
No it's not rich at all. I'm either having a bit of a giggle with the usual few, and thy know it, or I'm not having digs at all. You must have got me mixed up with someone else.

Going back to what I said earlier--it'll be good if people just left a comment on his performance, maybe debated it with someone if they wanted to, and left it at that. I don't see why this thread has to be b1tch fest 90% of the time tbh. I have no problem with you.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No it's not rich at all. I'm either having a bit of a giggle with the usual few, and thy know it, or I'm not having digs at all. You must have got me mixed up with someone else.

Going back to what I said earlier--it'll be good if people just left a comment on his performance, maybe debated it with someone if they wanted to, and left it at that. I don't see why this thread has to be b1tch fest 90% of the time tbh. I have no problem with you.
Every thread is a b1tch fest. 10 years in and still struggling to get the hang of AM. :lol:

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Every thread is a b1tch fest. 10 years in and still struggling to get the hang of AM. :lol:
Nah, the Özil thread is unique. Just seems a lot of talking down and pomposity in here more than anywhere else. People act like others are commenting on a family member, rather than some multi-millionaire footballer who doesn't even know they exist!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Nah, the Özil thread is unique. Just seems a lot of talking down and pomposity in here more than anywhere else. People act like others are commenting on a family member, rather than some multi-millionaire footballer who doesn't even know they exist!
Lmao at your title. Kudos to the mod who did that.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Was just reading some articles and this guy is basically at the top (or joint) for every underlying playmaking stat.

Looking forward to seeing what he does when he leaves. He's definitely a better player than he was at Madrid, it's just not showing for a variety of reasons.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Was just reading some articles and this guy is basically at the top (or joint) for every underlying playmaking stat.

Looking forward to seeing what he does when he leaves. He's definitely a better player than he was at Madrid, it's just not showing for a variety of reasons.
I agree with this but I feel Lacazette could change this somewhat

Zyrth

It is not that Özil isn't surrounded by quality players, far from it.
But the problem lies in that he is backed up by a dysfunctional midfield.

IMO, we do not have a proper functioning midfield that is capable and quick to link up from midfield to attack, nor are they capable of winning the ball and breaking up play. Our midfield has quality players but they are not performing to their role and function. Not a knock on either of Xhaka or Ramsey, but their instinct and positioning is beyond questionable. Think back on the breakthrough season for Coq . He showed tactical awareness to always cover a huge zone in between midfield and defense, the win against Man ****ty comes into mind, and how did that worked out for us?

So, obviously everyone would improve if the entire team is filled with world class players of their respective positions and roles, but I'm sure we will not be so divisive on our opinions of Özil if we have a proper functioning team.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

It is not that Özil isn't surrounded by quality players, far from it.
But the problem lies in that he is backed up by a dysfunctional midfield.

IMO, we do not have a proper functioning midfield that is capable and quick to link up from midfield to attack, nor are they capable of winning the ball and breaking up play. Our midfield has quality players but they are not performing to their role and function. Not a knock on either of Xhaka or Ramsey, but their instinct and positioning is beyond questionable. Think back on the breakthrough season for Coq . He showed tactical awareness to always cover a huge zone in between midfield and defense, the win against Man ****ty comes into mind, and how did that worked out for us?

So, obviously everyone would improve if the entire team is filled with world class players of their respective positions and roles, but I'm sure we will not be so divisive on our opinions of Özil if we have a proper functioning team.
Been saying this for months, pointless though as it's 'just another excuse'.

IslingtonBornandbred

If he goes to Bayern or somewhere next summer, we may see the best of him until he starts declining. If he stays here, it's going to be more of the same.

He's had exceptional moments and also shocking moments and performances. You can praise him and also point out his errors without always praising or defending him. Regardless of his "body language or style" he's thrown in the towel during certain moments in games that is unforgivable. He's also done great things but not regularly enough, not consistently enough. He's to blame, his style is to blame but so is Wenger for the team he's put around him.

The guy isn't a god. He's no Bergkamp. I would take Hazard, Sanchez and others over him. He hasn't hit anywhere near the heights I thought he would hit after seeing his debut against Sunderland.

Regardless of the why, and regardless of what he or others say, when you watch him there seems to be something missing in terms of his drive and desire to do certain things which is why he's such an easy target for criticism over someone like Sanchez.

And, this isn't a criticism but a fact, but it is very very strange that the guy hasn't/won't sign a new contract and not one big club around the world came in for him this summer. I've got a sneaky feeling that there is a reason for that, and come next summer we might find him at a City, United or Chelsea or/and back in Spain/Germany/Turkey on a free. Sanchez came out and said he wanted to leave a year beforehand, we could have sold him....I've got a feeling Özil isn't making any noises about going but will be gone next summer on a free.

Zyrth

If he goes to Bayern or somewhere next summer, we may see the best of him until he starts declining. If he stays here, it's going to be more of the same.

He's had exceptional moments and also shocking moments and performances. You can praise him and also point out his errors without always praising or defending him. Regardless of his "body language or style" he's thrown in the towel during certain moments in games that is unforgivable. He's also done great things but not regularly enough, not consistently enough. He's to blame, his style is to blame but so is Wenger for the team he's put around him.

The guy isn't a god. He's no Bergkamp. I would take Hazard, Sanchez and others over him. He hasn't hit anywhere near the heights I thought he would hit after seeing his debut against Sunderland.

Regardless of the why, and regardless of what he or others say, when you watch him there seems to be something missing in terms of his drive and desire to do certain things which is why he's such an easy target for criticism over someone like Sanchez.

And, this isn't a criticism but a fact, but it is very very strange that the guy hasn't/won't sign a new contract and not one big club around the world came in for him this summer. I've got a sneaky feeling that there is a reason for that, and come next summer we might find him at a City, United or Chelsea or/and back in Spain/Germany/Turkey on a free. Sanchez came out and said he wanted to leave a year beforehand, we could have sold him....I've got a feeling Özil isn't making any noises about going but will be gone next summer on a free.
Well, definitely Hazard would come in and we'll see a significant upgrade over Özil. That's simply because of our dysfunctional midfield.

That's why Sanchez is easier to stomach for all his deficiencies because that's the ONLY type of player that can paper over our main problem; a player that can dribble and win the game on his own. And even then we aren't a functional team but just relying on one player for his moment of brilliance.

With the players with have, fundamental setup and game plan, it would be best to play as a team and that means a more "boring" but effectively brilliant playmaker to put our forwards through. But until we have addressed our midfield, we wouldn't see any playmaker thrive in our present team.

Also, I do recall Bergy having a proper midfield supporting him; Petit + Vieira and Vieira + Gilberto.

Zyrth

Been saying this for months, pointless though as it's 'just another excuse'.
Yeah... not excusing him or anything but I would never want to see our best counter attacking player winning the ball after tracking back and then passing it forward, especially to Ramsey.

As one of the best receiver and creator of incisive passes, I would want him to be the receiver of any counter attacks at the final third or advanced position of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom