• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Özil wasn't good at that World Cup, but was far from Germany's worst...all their defenders were so bad, they looked like our current batch :lol:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No one is saying he's the problem, but he's certainly part of it.

So what should we do? Allow him to keep stinking up the place because he's not the only problem?

We should push him out. Three managers have all dropped him now for various reasons, four, if you include the last Wenger season.

He's pointless. He can't beat a man, even his biggest strength which were his highlight passes have now become a rarity.

He's still very good at reading possession, but that's because he plays percentage passes. He doesn't make risky passes despite having one of the deadliest forwards in the world ahead of him.

Don't even get me started on the social media shenanigans.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Revisionism at it's best, Özil was one of their worst players in that world cup if you actually watched the game instead of seeing pie charts. "Chances created" means nothing especially they are not proper goal scoring ones, how many set pieces were included in that. You make it sound like Özil dribbled past 3 players and laid the chance on a plate.
Won't be surprised that after 2 years people will look back and say "Arteta sacrificed Özil to look good among racist Arsenal faithful who turned on Mesut despite 7 glorious years with the club."
I watched every game, I remember because my boss was pissed off with me because I wouldn’t work during games. I remember vividly Özil creating chances like he always does and getting slaughtered for nothing. Germany’s problem was that kimmich played right wing when he wanted, a midfield that had no mobility and left and old slow centreback duo isolated 1v1. But nobody said anything about that. But believe what you want. It doesn’t matter for our situation now and really not worth discussing.

gamechannel

Why are we on about Özil still?!

He's gone. That much is clear.

I just want to the club to publicly issue a statement about his future at the club and be done with the BS mind games Raul & Co. have been playing.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Talking about revisionism :D

Germany were on their way out if not for Özil’s last minute goal against Algeria. Him and Neuer saved Löw’s ass that day. The energy he showed for the goal was incredible, 120th minute and he was running for the goal like a madman.

musoke

I said it when Arteta was hired. The Özil fans will love or give leeway to any manager as long as that manager plays Özil no matter what. If you want to see them do a sudden flip on that manager, let him bench or not play Özil. They will forget all the fake applause and love they were showering him with before he started benching their Özil.

Their moto is “Play Özil no matter what. Never criticise Özil no matter what”.

Wenger was finished long time ago. I was one of the AKB’s until 2015 when he refused to sign any outfield player in that summer transfer wimdow. He only signed in decline Cech. From that summer I knew wenger was done and living a delusional comfortable life at Arsenal with no care about progress or ambition.

But Özil fans were a bit unsure how to approach the wenger issue because he kept playing Özil. So that made them a bit confused. They used to say “Wenger is stuck in the past and misusing Özil. Özil needs a much more modern robust manager etc”.

Enter Emery. It all started off well. Played Özil in some of his first games. Realised quickly that Özil was a big problem on and off the pitch. Started dropping him and criticising him. My my my, the Özil fans never looked back to today. It was a bloodbath. Özil and Özil fans vs Emery.

They then asked for Ljungberg to be a caretaker manager because he was saying positive thing about Özil. Enter Ljungberg. Starts Özil in his first games. Happy faces and high fives from the Özil fans. Ljungberg too quickly realised what an albatross Özil was. Started criticising him and benching him. Suddenly the knives are out for Ljungberg from the Özil fans. Never looked back.

Enter Arteta. His glowing words, testimony and tribute about Özil. The Özil fans are high fiving while praising how amazing Arteta is. Arteta keeps playing Özil in every game even if most of his performances are average or below average. The Özil fans don’t care, as long as Özil is playing, that is what matters to them. They are loving life once again and loving Arteta. Defending him on his missteps etc.

First 2 games back after the Lockdown and Özil is excluded from the squad or benched. Arteta channels the same frustrations about Özil like his predecessors.
Now the knives are out for him too. He is now Raul’s b’!tch etc.

Arteta failed to understand the 2 main aspects;
“You are not allowed to bench or exclude Özil from the squad no matter what”.
“You are not allowed to criticise Özil no matter what.”

Even if he is sh!t and average he should be played. You are allowed and encouraged to drop other players in the sqaud for being average and crap. And it’s the Özil fans that are the most vocal when it comes to suggesting or demanding other players be sold, dropped or benched for crap and average. But not with Özil. One rule for Özil and completely different rules for everyone else in our squad.

It’ quite amazing. Isn’t it?

musoke

Posters like you is seriously what is wrong with the forum. I'm sure you have good reading comprehension but you choose not to use it cuz that would actually mean having to come up with a sensible counter-argument instead of resorting to calling other posters fangirls and fanboys.

I never said he should have started. I said if hes on the bench and brighton have just scored to level, you bring him on and shift players like Saka and Auba in their natural positions to see if you can get something out of thr game. You're acting like I'm advocating for Özil inspite of us having won the game and/or the other subs being effective.

I have said this before and I will say this again. I dont a give a **** about Özil being or not being at the club as long as the club make up their ****ing mind and stop lying to us - paying fans and stop partaking in stupid BS. Özil is dropped due to tactical reasons on Wednesday as per Arteta. On Thursday, he was actually dropped cuz hes unfit and not ready. By Sat morning hes back in the squad - so much for him being unfit and not ready. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the club has no ****ing clue how to be honest with the fans. So yes, Arteta is Raul's ***** if hes gonna play these games.

For years, us fans were frustrated at Wenger for sugar coating his statements and not telling us the truth with respect to transfers and club finances. Now, this new regime is being equally shifty with their statements except they are indulging in classless politics with players.
Are you also this invested in why the likes of Xhaka, Mustafi, Sokratis, Pepe, Martinelli, Luiz, Laca etc are dropped or not played? Or you get more affected or interested when it is Özil?

I hardly ever see or hear anyone going to these minuscule indepth levels of near conspiracy trying to find out why xhaka, Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Laca, Kolasinac and other players are always dropped. I have never seen anyone get so invested in finding out why other players are not being played in every game no mater what.

It seems to only apply to Özil. People seem to get so emotional and sensitive when any negative aspects happens to him while the same worry is not afforded to our other players.

Why is that? :)

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Are you also this invested in why the likes of Xhaka, Mustafi, Sokratis, Pepe, Martinelli, Luiz, Laca etc are dropped or not played? Or you get more affected or interested when it is Özil?

I hardly ever see or hear anyone going to these minuscule indepth levels of near conspiracy trying to find out why xhaka, Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz, Laca, Kolasinac and other players are always dropped. I have never seen anyone get so invested in finding out why other players are not being played in every game no mater what.

It seems to only apply to Özil. People seem to get so emotional and sensitive when any negative aspects happens to him while the same worry is not afforded to our other players.

Özil is gargantuan, he's bigger than all our players.

It's not just his fans who post in this thread, in fact it's mostly the same 3-4 posters who blame him for the bad results even when he doesn't play.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unless I missed something, the talk in here since City has been around the reasons for his omission, didn’t really make sense.

Not seen many calls for his return to the team, if any.

gamechannel

Read my posts about Martinelli and Pepe in other threads. I have been very vocal about the need to play them just as I have been vocal about playing Özil when the team struggles to move the ball and/or create. If the team was producing in the final third with any sort of cohesive system or we were retaining and moving the ball easily up the midfield with Ozils ass planted on the bench, i wouldnt even mention him. Wins playing an attractive style is what matters to me. But when I see us being piss poor in the midfield with no movement and ball retention, then I'd say, even a past-it Özil gives us a better chance of creating something.

I don't complain about Xhaka cuz he's never dropped outside of his episode with the fans which was justified. Besides, he's one of the relatively better options in the midfield.

As for Laca, he and Auba are competing for the same spot so I can't ask him to be played over Auba when he hasn't produced any goals while Auba has. Sotuation isn't the same as Özil.

Your argument is completely senseless. I have advocated that we play players in their natural positions and play our best players in each position. Unless you think Willock, Cebellos and Nelson are better AM options that can create as well as a past-it Özil, there's no argument to be made.

Above all, I'm cool with the club deciding to move on from Özil. But that hasn't been the case. The club keeps sending mixed messages about why he's not playing or picked. Just make up your mind ffs and be honest with the fans for once. That way the entire drama can be put behind and allow the club to move forward with Özil in the rear view mirror.

Once again, instead of branding people as Özil lovers and fanboys, understand what is being said instead of who its being said about.

Last edited:

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Revisionism at it's best, Özil was one of their worst players in that world cup if you actually watched the game instead of seeing pie charts. "Chances created" means nothing especially they are not proper goal scoring ones, how many set pieces were included in that. You make it sound like Özil dribbled past 3 players and laid the chance on a plate.
Won't be surprised that after 2 years people will look back and say "Arteta sacrificed Özil to look good among racist Arsenal faithful who turned on Mesut despite 7 glorious years with the club."

I'm not really one to go out for a limb for Özil, and am certainly critical of his affiliation with Erdogan and consistency of performance and effort, but the way he was treated in Germany was disgusting and 100% was the result of growing domestic racism and scapegoating. It may have been right for Germany to move on from Özil, but the German FA were utterly contemptible.

I wrote a long article at the time outlining the background. Even if you disagree with my conclusions, I'd recommend reading it for the broader conteext. Some really shocking stuff.

http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/mesut-Özil-2/

lomekian

Essays are my thing
No one is saying he's the problem, but he's certainly part of it.

So what should we do? Allow him to keep stinking up the place because he's not the only problem?

We should push him out. Three managers have all dropped him now for various reasons, four, if you include the last Wenger season.

He's pointless. He can't beat a man, even his biggest strength which were his highlight passes have now become a rarity.

He's still very good at reading possession, but that's because he plays percentage passes. He doesn't make risky passes despite having one of the deadliest forwards in the world ahead of him.

Don't even get me started on the social media shenanigans.

Yeah, Özil's confidence and audacity has gone, so now he's still incredibly technically gifted but 'safe'. He's also lost a bit of pace and doesn't connect with any players in this team.

He's declined, but put peak Cazorla behind him and peak Alexis alongside him and he'd still be pretty effective.

As for pushing him out...good luck with that! He's made it clear on multiple occasions to anyone who'll listen that he's not leaving that sweet paycheck behind for anything!

Of course it would be better for the club to move on, but that simply wont happen for 12 months.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
:lol:

Andy Carroll has as many assists in his last eight PL appearances as Mesut Özil has in the last two seasons

That's probably over 3 seasons given his injury record! But yes, Mesut's final ball has all but disappeared and he's no longer on the same wavelength with his teammates. He also gets into really dangerous positions far less, but equally gets given teh ball in good positions far less too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom