• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Could it be he’s got some chronical physical problems? Surely if he simply wasn’t motivated or didnt do what was required in training his previous 3 coaches would have said so? Maybe he’s actually got a crooked back..

Sort of what I was alluding to. I can't imagine 3 separate coaches just putting up with him pulling sickies whenever it was time to travel up north. Whether its his back injury or something else, there must be some reason he's not called out, given that everyone knows the club wants him gone

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Spot on, this is one of the biggest problems in his game that is barley ever talked about. The fact he never shoots, even when it is advantageous to do so, makes him easier to defend against.

Yeah, he was much more impactful when he used to get into positions where scoring was at least possible!

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Sort of what I was alluding to. I can't imagine 3 separate coaches just putting up with him pulling sickies whenever it was time to travel up north. Whether its his back injury or something else, there must be some reason he's not called out, given that everyone knows the club wants him gone

the only thing that would make a modicum of sense is some kind of mental health issue, which no club would mention unless the player consented

musoke

The actual cause for my initial comments was the following: “The german team and media hounded him, but he didnt break..” which I called out as BS. I don’t think he was “hounded”, especially from the national team itself, **** Löw even flew to London to try to talk to Özil in person, nor was it racist that he was criticized.

Clearly some across the whole German population made racist comments, but to jump to that he was singled out or hounded is just wrong in my view and it doesn’t serve victims of real systemic racism.

I think it is correct to call out and oppose racism when it takes place and is shown. The opposition to it shouldn’t though, as I think is partly the case with Özil, be used as a cloak to shield anyone from rightful and objective criticism.

My thinking too.
That’s like labelling the FA, The British media and population as racists because the Tommy Robinson crew and BNP made racist remarks about a black player.
These racists will always be there. It is part of humanity. What we can do is target and call them out specifically. Lets keep mocking them.

What I don’t buy is this disingenuous tactic that people like to use. A racist group or individual makes a statement and all of a sudden the rest of population is blanketed into that. Oh all Germany, UK, Sweden, US etc are racists. The whole thing loses meaning if you do that.

Again, i know racism and racists exists and have existed throughout our own human evolution. But why can’t people just be honest and stop guilting others for no reason. So a few Far Right racist nutters were racists towards Özil. Why the hell do the Özil fans then keep trying to muddy the waters by being consciously dishonest. Quoting Far right idiots or lone individuals but then use that as the stick to beat people with. The German population is racist and hounded Özil out just because he is Turkish muslim bla blah.

Lets call out racism when it is shown. Very true.
And lets not start diluting terms. Özil being criticised does not mean one is a Hater, does not mean one is a racist, does not mean one has an agenda, does not mean one lacks footballing knowledge, does not mean one is a islamophobe or xenophobe etc.
Smh:facepalm:

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Sorry I am not buying it.
We all know what happened during that Özil, Erdogan, Gundogan, 2018 world cup episode.
Özil like always has this massive ego where he thinks he is this emperor that is never wrong.
I refuse to by this Özil VICTIM CARD that you his avid fans / followers use every time he does something wrong. When was the last time Özil apologised for any of his missteps since he has been here?
He keeps undermining everyone, Fans, managers, board, entire countries etc while you guys just try your level best to clean up after him all the time.

I said that what the minority of Racist Far Right wingers (Nutters) in Germany did to Özil was distasteful and racist.

What I don’t like is the sneakiness that you guys have then used to muddy the waters by labelling nearly all the German population as racists, labelled the German FA as racists, labelled the white German players as secret racist nazis etc is a bit slimy. Literally some Özil fans back then were labelling the white German players as racists because they refused to bow down to princess Özil’s ego of always being victim. Özil always starts these divisive episodes, he consciously steps into sh!t and always expects all us to just bend over and praise him no matter what.

When we lost 6-3 to city in his first season here. He was so poor but refused to applaud our travelling/ paying fans even if everyone else did. Mertesacker told him off but he never rectified that situation. O apology.

We were being spanked by Bayern 5-1 and Özil was one of the poorest in tha game. He gest subbed and just walks off slowly with absolutely no care. Never went to his social media to apologise.

We are being spanked by Chelsea in Baku, Özil was one of the poorest. He is subbed and just strolls off with no urgency. Did not acknowledge or give a fck about the score. Never went to his social media to apologise.

He consciously took those pictures with Erdogan knowing that it will hurt the German peoples emotions. But he did not give a crap. He just doubled down on it. Went on his social media to play VICTIM as always. Then went as far as making Erdogan his best man at hos wedding. But expect the German people, the country that welcomed him and his family to just swallow it. In such a situation how are the natives supposed to feel? Happiness or betrayal?
Even in my country, we are poor but have been welcoming neighbouring refugees from Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, Somalia etc for decades. But I would feel betrayed if their kids that have been born and brought up in my country started putting on this affectionate display with dictatorial president of their country of origin. It would hurt. Same with what Özil did to the German people by publicly licking Erdogans face at any given opportunity. Doesn’t care.

He absolutely undermined Emery. Using his social media to pump up his sensitive / emotional followers. Rumours came out that Özil told Emery to his face that he was a “**** manager”. Lol
Playing victim instead of trying to help our team and club. Never apologised.

Undermines Ljungberg. He couldn’t care less. With him it’s all about “Me me me”.

Started this Chinese muslim awareness thing. Which was not a bad thing. But he did not give a monkeys how it might affect Arsenal. He just steps into it and then like always expects everyone else to deal with the consequences. But then on the other hand he is very quiet on the Erdogan / Kurdish issue. Why? Because he likes Erdogan and is okay with turning a blind eye on those Kurdish muslims because it might hurt his best friend’s politics.

And didn’t people also start labelling the British people and Media as racists, xenophobes, islamophobes in 2014/15 when Özil was being criticised for underperforming and always being ill during the Christmas period?

During this Covid-19 lockdown the team accepts to take a temporary pay cut. Who again is standing out as a sore thumb? Özil. Refused the whole thing and as always runs to his social media to do his propaganda and play his usual VICTIM CARD.
And guess what? You his fans put on your suits and start trying to rationalise and defend his actions. It’s always that way with him. His Ego is so massive and you guy are the reason why. You just massage it and keep assuring him how his farts don’t stink. Lol

I have observed so much in his times here.

Anyone that criticises Özil is either labelled a Hater, lacks footballing knowledge, racist blah blah...

So to me these labels you Özil fans throw around against anyone that criticises Özil have become meaningless catchphrases or just defensive mechanisms.

This is 1 step away from 'all lives matter'!

Can you consider that it is possible that Özil is both flawed as a character and declining as a footballer, but simultaneously has been subject to significant unfair treatment because of his ethnic background, particularly in a Germany experiencing a massive upsurge in right wing ideology and looking for a scapegoat?

Why do people always want to ignore shades of grey on the internet?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
the only thing that would make a modicum of sense is some kind of mental health issue, which no club would mention unless the player consented

We wouldn't be giving him extention and significant pay rise if that is the case.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
And lets not start diluting terms. Özil being criticised does not mean one is a Hater, does not mean one is a racist, does not mean one has an agenda, does not mean one lacks footballing knowledge, does not mean one is a islamophobe or xenophobe etc.

Of course not. I doubt very much that criticism on here of Özil or even in the majority of the sporting press has a bigoted agenda.

I would say the way he was treated in Germany around the time of the world cup was the perfect example of racially etc motivated, where the photo with Erdogan was used an excuse for an outpouring of anti-immigrant feeling. In the same way that Raheem Sterling was destroyed over here for 2 years in the press, only Sterling being from the Caribbean was a 'safe immigrant' by comparison, as he was wasn't also Islamic and from an ethnic group that is still openly targetted for racial discrimination in shockingly overt terms. Our racism in the UK tends to try to hide under the radar, except for the EDL types who are easily discountable ******, who the more subtle racists with greater influence hide behind.

Elwood

I can't believe people are genuinely happy he's not doing well. Great fans.
Edit: my guess is the chiefs want him out, so that's why he's not playing. Or he's just ****. Or both. The guy is done and that's fine. But the celebrations of it here are absolutely disgusting. Cheers, you "won" lmao

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Spot on, this is one of the biggest problems in his game that is barley ever talked about. The fact he never shoots, even when it is advantageous to do so, makes him easier to defend against.
I have said it before, but his lack of shooting ability is really amazing. He scuffs and miss hits shot all the time, which is why I think he likes to pass at all time.

His game is really a game of rondo. He must be genius at that drill.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Has anyone noticed how Cesc is barely getting into a midtable Ligue 1 first team?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought up Cesc :lol:

sdotzdot

Established Member
Terrible revisionism in here. Özil was never what any of us hoped and now all of a sudden he was this world class unbelievable player for us? Come off it.

His talent was undeniable, world class. But he never clicked here on a consistent basis, he had his moments of pure class that you rarely see from any player but I don’t give a **** about moments I want a player who plays for the club not turns up 4 times a season.

I genuinely started to believe right before the contract we were finally seeing the Özil we all thought. I saw fight in him I’d never seen at his Arsenal career and consistent performances. After the contract was given I realised why he decided to finally turn up for this club, absolute thief.

But he’s somehow produced 1000s of Erlis’s to worship him like some Demi-god who can do no wrong, it’s embarassing. Can’t wait for this **** to be over because he’s divided our fan base and it’s not even been ****ing worth it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Terrible revisionism in here. Özil was never what any of us hoped and now all of a sudden he was this world class unbelievable player for us?

But we all wanted him to extend, we all wanted the club to break the bank for him, the media and former players all basically campaigned for Arsenal to break the bank and keep a top player for once. We done this, and there was dancing in the streets.

If he wasn’t great or WC then why was all that for?

Quickest in PL history to 50 assists, had a season that matched a peak Robert Pires, even in the last two Wenger years he played nearly 80 games and was averaging an assist or goal every other game.

Numbers don’t lie, his numbers are excellent.

sdotzdot

Established Member
But we all wanted him to extend, we all wanted the club to break the bank for him, the media and former players all basically campaigned for Arsenal to break the bank and keep a top player for once. We done this, and there was dancing in the streets.

If he wasn’t great or WC then why was all that for?

I actually stand by the Özil extension, obviously in hindsight it didn’t work out, but at the time it was the right thing. It was a period where arsenal fans were nervy after consistently selling our best players, we had enough and didn’t want it anymore.

It would have been a disaster selling him and Sanchez for the fan bases faith in the club. I’m actually proud of the club for trying to get the fans on board and move away from that old reputation.

Also as I said, Özil started performing consistently during that period, I don’t know about you but I saw fight and energy in him I hadn’t seen his entire career with us. I used to browse this forum back then and as far as I could see the consensus was the same that there was a newfound fire under his belly and this is the Özil we wanted.

His numbers were great that half season where he nearly broke the assist record (think second half of the season he got injured and giroud and him both completely crashed out of form). But as I said, I never viewed his performances as fantastic on a consistent basis, just cherry picked games here and there.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
@musoke You say that you don't like "Özil fans" generalising about the German FA and everyone else but you proceed to do the same exact thing? You've created this caricature of people in this thread who call you racist for criticising him when that's not close to being the case.

smashed

He has zero future at the club, he is not value for money.
Benching him keeps his pay to just base salary (reportedly 200k) which saves a fortune and reinforces that he should look elsewhere.
The reduced salary also makes playing elsewhere on a smaller salary more attractive, even if we have to pay him a goodbye million.
A shame, as he has amazing vision. Arsenal need an overhaul though and I can't believe I have seen the day where even I think the club is better off without him.
Theoretically he would be great off the bench etc when trying to find a goal but he won't be content with that, or us with that salary, or other players on a fraction of his pay who are playing more...

andeoch1

My thinking too.
That’s like labelling the FA, The British media and population as racists because the Tommy Robinson crew and BNP made racist remarks about a black player.
These racists will always be there. It is part of humanity. What we can do is target and call them out specifically. Lets keep mocking them.

What I don’t buy is this disingenuous tactic that people like to use. A racist group or individual makes a statement and all of a sudden the rest of population is blanketed into that. Oh all Germany, UK, Sweden, US etc are racists. The whole thing loses meaning if you do that.

Again, i know racism and racists exists and have existed throughout our own human evolution. But why can’t people just be honest and stop guilting others for no reason. So a few Far Right racist nutters were racists towards Özil. Why the hell do the Özil fans then keep trying to muddy the waters by being consciously dishonest. Quoting Far right idiots or lone individuals but then use that as the stick to beat people with. The German population is racist and hounded Özil out just because he is Turkish muslim bla blah.

My thinking too.

“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean : if a few drops of the ocean are dirty(racist), the ocean does not become dirty(racist)”

Manberg

Predator
What’s this talent people saw in him? Cazorla and Ramsey were better players than Özil. If only the club sold Özil but kept Ramsey, we would be in a much better state.

Özil hid in nearly every big game he played for us. Was always a liability, unless we played the likes of Norwich at home. One of the most overrated players of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom