• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The difference being that the "disrespect" from Arsenal supporters and pundits is limited solely to criticism of his performances on the pitch and influence(or lack thereof relative to his talent) on matches. That criticism by the way he points to in his letter as being able to accept and use as motivation. Let's not conflate that with demonizing him as some kind of ungrateful saboteur and accusing him of torpedoing a nation's World Cup campaign strictly because of what he looks like and whom he prays to. Not even remotely the same thing. Many of the people who have criticized his performances are absolutely outraged by this and will back him to the hilt this coming season to show solidarity and empathy.

Yes, quite right. Obviously in no way intended to conflate the two there.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yup, perfecto. He's smart in that senbse. Or at least his PR are wisening up. Loved Mustafa's input as well a week ago. Well said, Dad

Where in Africa you from man?
Yeah its too bad he doesn’t have a good relationship with his father anymore. I noticed he mentioned his mother multiple times in the statement but never his dad. Normally its the men who are (overly) proud of their roots, its telling that he doesn’t mention him.

My parents are from Morocco, and you?

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Throughout their campaign, I have seen folks label them “Frakanda” or one of the last remaining African teams in the competitions. That was ridiculous. It’s up to those players and those players alone to celebrate their Frenchness or their heritage.

The difference is, France politics from don't seem to interfere with the players appreciation of their homeland. Like Özil (German) the French players are French first, but you can see how they channel their African sides (can't name all countries involved) on social media et al. They are not shy in celebrating their "other" side.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah its too bad he doesn’t have a good relationship with his father anymore. I noticed he mentioned his mother multiple times in the statement but never his dad. Normally its the men who are (overly) proud of their roots, its telling that he doesn’t mention him.

My parents are from Morocco, and you?
Very true.

I'm from South Africa. We have quite a few Africans or at least people with African heritage on here. Nice to know.

razörist

The difference is, France politics from don't seem to interfere with the players appreciation of their homeland. Like Özil (German) the French players are French first, but you can see how they channel their African sides (can't name all countries involved) on social media et al. They are not shy in celebrating their "other" side.
France kinda have the same problem you know, they just go about it differently. They do everything to surpress the different roots of their players and insist that everyone is French, French, French. They don’t even like it when African people are happy that France won the WC because of all the different backgrounds. Its viva la republique and nothing more.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This could be good for Özil and for us, it gives him one team to focus on and also gives him rest when he would otherwise be flying around the globe. I think Özil is quite a complex person, it's not uncommon for people labelled a genius to have complex characteristics and perhaps be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I also think Özil is fuelled by a two way relationship based on loyalty & respect, if this breaks down in any way he reacts, sometimes quietly (the sulk) sometimes openly. I think many people overstated the role Wenger played, it wasn't Wenger as such, it was the loyalty & respect that Wenger gave. Many fans give Özil this in abundance and if Emery does the same we could be in for a masterclass season from our supremely gifted No10. I hope so!

razörist

This could be good for Özil and for us, it gives him one team to focus on and also gives him rest when he would otherwise be flying around the globe. I think Özil is quite a complex person, it's not uncommon for people labelled a genius to have complex characteristics and perhaps be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. I also think Özil is fuelled by a two way relationship based on loyalty & respect, if this breaks down in any way he reacts, sometimes quietly (the sulk) sometimes openly. I think many people overstated the role Wenger played, it wasn't Wenger as such, it was the loyalty & respect that Wenger gave. Many fans give Özil this in abundance and if Emery does the same we could be in for a masterclass season from our supremely gifted No10. I hope so!
Last 6 months before he signed his new contract the Arsenal fans were great. It was the media who questioned him but never the fans in the stadium. They supported him even more, still treated him like day 1, proud to have him play for the Arsenal, treated him like one of us. I think that made a deep impression with Mesut and is the primary reason for him to commit his future to us.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Disappointing but not surprising from them, I get you.

We're getting way off-topic but I must stress how shocked I am seeing how quickly far-right ideas are spreading throughout Germany. Never thought it will take something so meaningful like Özil pictured with Erdogan to open the flood gates of something that in it's core is very similar to the events that unfolded during the rise of NSDAP in the thirties.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We're getting way off-topic but I must stress how shocked I am seeing how quickly far-right ideas are spreading throughout Germany. Never thought it will take something so meaningful like Özil pictured with Erdogan to open the flood gates of something that in it's core is very similar to the events that unfolded during the rise of NSDAP in the thirties.
Another poster also mentioned something similar and pointed to the fact that the vast differences in opinion from the 30s and earl 40s has never truly been addressed. Your point here gives credence to that.

Hugely impressed how our fans back him.

Truly so much to look forward to this season lads and ladies

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Last 6 months before he signed his new contract the Arsenal fans were great. It was the media who questioned him but never the fans in the stadium. They supported him even more, still treated him like day 1, proud to have him play for the Arsenal, treated him like one of us. I think that made a deep impression with Mesut and is the primary reason for him to commit his future to us.

As I said, he is fuelled by loyalty & respect. If he gets it he gives it back in return. I will add that not all Arsenal fans were great to him, some agreed with the media, I was never one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom