• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexagon9

Learn a thing or two about branding, marketing and value before making baseless claims. Is this some sick joke? Lacazette is a complete nobody compared to Mesut. He'd at most get a 10-15% increase or sold and nobody would bat an eye. :rofl:

Yeah great so we play Iwobi and other **** players because that is surely improving us to a new collective height.
Learn a thing or two about branding, marketing and value before making baseless claims.

How much, in £, flows into Arsenal’s coffers on a weekly or annual basis as a result of MO’s “branding” and “marketing”?

Preacher

Always Crying
That's final nail to Özil's coffin in my mind. I suspected it all along. After he got a new contract, Özil dissapeared and didn't give 100% everytime in the training and in the games. Only his blinded fans couldn't see it. For his level and talent Özil was a major letdown overall in 2018. The guy just let himself go, like Wenger says, he became to complacent.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
That's final nail to Özil's coffin in my mind. I suspected it all along. After he got a new contract, Özil dissapeared and didn't give 100% everytime in the training and in the games. Only his blinded fans couldn't see it. For his level and talent Özil was a major letdown overall in 2018. The guy just let himself go, like Wenger says, he became to complacent.
Does it really sound like Wenger to drop a player in it like that? Its probably either fake, poorly translated or point misunderstood.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He didn't specifically name Özil in the contract extension comments:

But this is succinctly put. Hats off to the man!

“To buy players of top, top quality you need £100m. So the decision you have to make is whether you re-sign the player, who costs us nothing, or do we have the money to buy a new player?”

blaze_of_glory

These are the full comments according to Sky:

"I feel that the length of the contract has nothing to do normally with the selection of the team. But sometimes there are special cases," Wenger said.

"Most of the time now we think when we sign a player for five years we have a good player for five years. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they practice, they play their best. Because they might be in their comfort zone.

"He has a contract but the problem is that if you want to buy a player like him you have to spend £100m

"And to maintain the value of the player, beyond the Özil case, it is more about the way football is structured.

"To buy players of top, top quality you need £100m. So the decision you have to make is whether you re-sign the player, who costs us nothing, or do we have the money to buy a new player?"

Not much there. He's saying that players don't always play or practice their best at all times. Özil didn't even re-sign for five years, so that's more of a general comment imo. And Wenger's I think hinting that we can't afford to buy anyone of his quality at this point.

Jae

Not much there. He's saying that players don't always play or practice their best at all times. Özil didn't even re-sign for five years, so that's more of a general comment imo. And Wenger's I think hinting that we can't afford to buy anyone of his quality at this point.

Wenger isn't stupid mate, he's very clever with his words here. He knows exactly what he's saying without actually saying it, ever the diplomat.

Özil is a world class player and on his day he's worth every bit of that weekly wage. We didn't have the money to go out and buy someone of his quality, therefore it was a calculated gamble giving him that contract - but he's been coasting since the day he signed it and everybody knows it, including the board, Emery AND Wenger it would seem.

He's done, Le Prof has spoken.

Jae

Does it really sound like Wenger to drop a player in it like that? Its probably either fake, poorly translated or point misunderstood.

Sorry mate, but with the greatest of respect. What you're saying here is wrong.

The interview was conducted after Wenger received The Lifetime Achievement Award at The Laureus World Sports Awards in Monaco. That particular section of the interview (probably the whole thing but I haven't watched it all) was conducted entirely in English, and if you watch it he's quoted pretty much word for word by Sky.

The video of which you can find underneath (was quite simply to find, the top hit on Google after a 2 second search).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/s...raises-questions-Mesut-Özil-effort-level.html

I like Özil, but as I said, Wenger is a clever man and a diplomat.

He's dropped him in it.

Last edited:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He was asked specifically about the Özil situation and how it may resolve itself and said he didn’t want to speak specifically about that and then gave those quotes speaking in more general terms. In other words when a player signs a new contract you might not get the same player because they don’t have the same motivation. That could be Özil or anyone.

say yes

forum master baiter
DoF is a must down the line, he’s our Cruyff figure.

Nah I wouldn’t want him involved in the management side of things. You can’t expect someone who used to run the whole show to be happy suddenly being just a small cog in a broader operation. Even if he could contain himself, think his mere presence would end up undermining the manager; imagine the speculation everytime we hit some poor form. Not sure that negotiating / closing transfers is his greatest strength either!

Ferguson at United should be the model. A boardroom presence and club ambassador with some influence over club’s direction / major decisisons (e.g. new manager) but keeping well-away from interfering in the day-to-day administration. A clean break is important on so many levels.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Forgot what a pleasure it is listening to Arséne talk tbh.

Club needs a little space right now (and I think Arséne needs some time off) but 100% want him back at the club in a senior capacity in a few years.
Scenes of Arsène sitting at the head of the table, with his back to everyone. Board members sitting in their chairs, nobody dares to look up. Sanllehi walks in, confused, asking who called this meeting? A flash of thunder can be seen through the dark windows. Arsène turns around, looks him straight in the eyes and says: “give me my Arsenal back.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom