• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Middlesbrough v Arsenal - Sunday December 9, 1.30pm

• Thread starter RC8
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,107
  • Views 52,122

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
I look at it like we have taken 4 point out of 9. Ideally 7 would have been very good. 5 O.K. Taking 4 points out of 3 away games doesnt suddently make or break our title chase. I believed from day one we have a potential to challenge for the title. We still do.

stiiphunn

Established Member
There's always a moment in the season when things are a bit tough- the important thing is to get out of it as quickly as possible.

Hopefully our injured players will be back soon with us because they are badly needed. It's important to finish december with a full squad.

True Gooner

Established Member
Why is Rosicky not good enough suddenly?
Hes scored 5 goals this season and has 2 assists. And hes not started loads of games...his performances havent been that bad..true, I expect more from him, especially since hes one of the older players in the squad but off late he has been scoring a few goals and hes over all play has been decent this season..I do agree we need some back up but to say that he should be sold his a bit OTT?

Dragon181

That Boro game was a real eye-opener to some people here, and justification for others (Ibby). After getting over my initial knee-jerk reaction thinking that now everyone is going to lose it and we're going to finish 4th, I think that we really are missing a lot of good players, and we could have, should have, and would have beaten Boro and Newcastle with those players playing.

Not really. :roll:

Injuries are part and parcel of the game, whether we like it or not. And some teams are luckier about it than others. ManU haven't had Gary Neville all season long, Scholes is injured, and Rooney has missed a few games (at least two of their losses), but they're still snapping at our heels. The sign of a championship team is to rise above those injuries and be consistent, winning games we 'shouldn't' be winning, games like Villa and Newcastle, as well as games we 'should' be winning, against Boro.

When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade (I know, a horrible metaphor, but whatever :lol: ). If the worst case scenario happens and we lose all the current players to injuries now for the rest of the season, then we'll have excuses the rest of the season for why we lose. But the fact remains that we lose.

I think this team has the potential for greatness, but the line between greatness and average is thin: One injury here or there, one signing here or there, one inch closer to goal here or there, one improbable save here or there. So I say we stop coming up with injuries as excuses for why we lose. It's justified, but we can't really do anything about it, and saying to someone who mentions the loss that we lost because of injuries just screams 'sore loser'. Excuses are like a**holes, everybody has them and they stink.

Nyingmeh

Nyingmeh said:
--- Almunia ----
-Sagna -- Touré -- Gallas -- Clichy

----------------Diarra----------------------

-Eboue----- Rosisky ---------- Eduardo

--------------Bender ---Ade---------------

Rosisky can give us that little bit of creativity we need whilst Diarra works his sucks off as defensive, the otherway round would be to slot in Denilson in the middle, send Eduardo upfront with Ade and leave bendner on the becnh. The trust is beleive me or not, if I were wenger, i will go in for :

--- Almunia ----
-Sagna -- Touré -- Gallas -- Clichy

----------------Diarra----------------------

-Eboue----- Denilson --------- Rosisky

--------------Bentner--- Eduardo---------

Starting Ade on the bench may make him think about something he needs to think about but has not.

At times, I wish i were a manager. how does one become a football manager ? Wenger's line up killed us. But that shows he's only humman. i like him.

Nyingmeh

true gooner said:
Why is Rosicky not good enough suddenly?
Hes scored 5 goals this season and has 2 assists. And hes not started loads of games...his performances havent been that bad..true, I expect more from him, especially since hes one of the older players in the squad but off late he has been scoring a few goals and hes over all play has been decent this season..I do agree we need some back up but to say that he should be sold his a bit OTT?

completely out of topic i accept. we may start by selling Walcott,diaby and don't dream Rosisky is key player. i aggre with you

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Dragon181 said:
That Boro game was a real eye-opener to some people here, and justification for others (Ibby). After getting over my initial knee-jerk reaction thinking that now everyone is going to lose it and we're going to finish 4th, I think that we really are missing a lot of good players, and we could have, should have, and would have beaten Boro and Newcastle with those players playing.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game, whether we like it or not. And some teams are luckier about it than others. ManU haven't had Gary Neville all season long, Scholes is injured, and Rooney has missed a few games (at least two of their losses), but they're still snapping at our heels. The sign of a championship team is to rise above those injuries and be consistent, winning games we 'shouldn't' be winning, games like Villa and Newcastle, as well as games we 'should' be winning, against Boro.

actually, if you look at it historically, the champion team usually ends up being the one with the least amount of injuries for the year.. last year ManU were extremely lucky with their injuries and the 2 seasons before that, Chelsea were fairly injury free compared to the rest..... same went with us when we won...

Dragon181

USArsenal said:
Dragon181 said:

actually, if you look at it historically, the champion team usually ends up being the one with the least amount of injuries for the year.. last year ManU were extremely lucky with their injuries and the 2 seasons before that, Chelsea were fairly injury free compared to the rest..... same went with us when we won...

Fair enough. But injuries are often accidental and things the team, manager, physios, or trainer can't do much about. So they will happen. It's somewhat pathetic to use injuries as an excuse for losing all the time. Even when it's justified.

j'nuh

Dragon181 said:

When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade (I know, a horrible metaphor, but whatever :lol: ). If the worst case scenario happens and we lose all the current players to injuries now for the rest of the season, then we'll have excuses the rest of the season for why we lose. But the fact remains that we lose.

I think this team has the potential for greatness, but the line between greatness and average is thin: One injury here or there, one signing here or there, one inch closer to goal here or there, one improbable save here or there. So I say we stop coming up with injuries as excuses for why we lose. It's justified, but we can't really do anything about it, and saying to someone who mentions the loss that we lost because of injuries just screams 'sore loser'. Excuses are like a**holes, everybody has them and they stink.

Compare our injuries to Uniteds when they have their 4 best players out plus a backup midfielder.

Until then this 'everyone gets injuries' stuff is complete bullsh*t. No one gets them as bad as us and that is a fact. Its been a clear, clear disadvantage over the last three seasons.

Think about it logically, we would not have played like that if those 5 players were fit. So yes, injuries are an extremely valid excuse. End of story.

Dragon181

j'nuh said:
Compare our injuries to Uniteds when they have their 4 best players out plus a backup midfielder.

Until then this 'everyone gets injuries' stuff is complete bullsh*t. No one gets them as bad as us and that is a fact. Its been a clear, clear disadvantage over the last three seasons.

Think about it logically, we would not have played like that if those 5 players were fit. So yes, injuries are an extremely valid excuse. End of story.

My point isn't that injuries don't affect us because clearly they do. I'm also not saying that it's a justified excuse. My point was that there is nothing you can do about them AFTER the fact. We can't say 'could have, should have, would have' because it's an ex-post occurrence and it's like crying over spilled milk. So using them as an excuse for saying 'we didn't win because of injury' sounds like whining and makes us look like sore losers. ManU fans at redcafe do the same. Do we really want to look as whiny as them?

Just a thought.

ibby

Established Member
Dragon181 said:

Well said, best post I have read on here.

dutchMasta

Then I guess there are no reasons for losing a game, everything can get pinned up as an excuse, since everything, including injuries, foul play, bad refereeing, bad luck, **** pitch, etc. are all part and parcel of the game.

At the end of the season, no one will care for those excuses. Sucks, but applies to all teams, even if it's minor for one and major for another.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining about injuries (or others), they hurt our squad and are a ***** (esp 4 major players out). Can't expect everyone to take it on the chin and say it's "part and parcel" of the game.

Gurgen

Established Member
Injuries do happen, but when they happen on this scale there's not much you can do.

I don't know how you can compare Neville and Scholes missing for United with us missing RvP, Hleb, Cesc and Flamini. Who the fk is Neville and what does he do? We are missing our four most creative players, who incidentally happen to be our top performers this season as well. Let's take Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes and Tevez out of the Utd. team and see how they do.

Doesn't mean we should have lost this game, granted. But to say that everyone gets injuries and it's no excuse it ridiculous. Of course it's an excuse. Just like the fact that it was our 4th away game in a row. You try it, London-Seville-London-Birmingham-London-Newcastle-London-Middlesbrough, and see how sharp you are mentally and physically.

cescthebest

Gurgen said:
Injuries do happen, but when they happen on this sclae there's noy much you can do.

I don't know how you can compare Neville and Scholes missing for United with us missing RvP, Hleb, Cesc and Flamini. Who the fk is Neville and what does he do? We are missing our four most creative players, who incidentally happen to be our top performers this season as well. Let's take Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes and Tevez out of the Utd. team and see how they do.

Doesn't mean we should have lost this game, granted. But to say that everyone gets injuries and it's no excuse it ridiculous. Of course it's an excuse. Just like the fact that it was our 4th away game in a row. You try it, London-Seville-London-Birmingham-London-Newcastle-London-Middlesbrough, and see how sharp you are mentally and physically.

Top post.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That four-away-games-in-a-row excuse was not only given by Wenger and Arsenal fans, but also surprisingly mentioned by Southgate. Even a opposition manager clearly saw this, while some Arsenal fans disregarded it. Sigh.

ricky1985

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Injuries do happen, but when they happen on this scale there's not much you can do.

Now thats a good post.

dutchMasta

Where's the point where it changes from invalid to a valid excuse? That's what I f*cking hate about the term "excuse," it's all up to interpretation and opinion, some people pin everything as an excuse, some believe in reasoning.

I mean, if 1 major player is injured and it's part and parcel and should be dealt with by a huge club like ours, then numbers shouldn't matter. But it does.

I believe in valid reasoning, maybe it didn't sound like it in my post above (I was using the logic of the above posters).

Thing is, Middlesborough have excuses of their own too, they had only 1 fit striker, 1st and 2nd choice keepers out, on really bad form and in the relegation zone, so I guess it makes me less inclined to use injuries as an excuse for us, even though 4 major players were out and I believe it does take a huge toll on us and counts as an excuse for our loss.

@tactica442 Wenger also refused to blame our loss on injuries though. Southgate mentioned that Rochemback knows when to foul a player, and that's exactly what I hate about the guy. Same with Pogatetz.

Anyway, screw it, no point talking about this, everyone has their own opinion on validity of excuses, should just leave the talk to football.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

ricky1985 said:
Gurgen said:

Now thats a good post.
:lol: I agree. Spot on.

Arsenal Quotes

I tried to watch the Sp*rs match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom