• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No complaints from me. We’re in a top four race on paper now so our games finally mean something and I think that’s what a part of me has always wanted.

Still think we are getting extremely lucky up front (set piece and lucky bounces for both goals) though and are basically an expensive Burnley these days but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Agree. It’s not sustainable. We were outplayed by Brighton and palace and for 65 mins we gave the match to Leicester. If they got 2 we would be in serious trouble. The same people celebrating this defend for large part of the match now shouldn’t complain when we concede late goals and give games away. It’s one thing if opponents outplay you. It’s different when you give them the initiative and say attack us. We were fantastic for 20 mins. Rest was not good

DasBootist

He is solving our defensive issues, he is solving our set-pieces issues, we are more effective, we are gelling and we are the youngest team in the league.

Credit were credit is due....
He's getting there, slowly but surely. I'm thoroughly enjoying the direction in which we are moving. Solid defence, robust midfield pivot (Xhaka should heal completely in preparation for a summer £50,000,000 plus Xhaka bid for Tielemans), exciting set of young talent behind the big man Aubameyang.

I wasn't happy about the manager of my team learning on the job, but at least we're looking like a team now. Onwards and upwards (COYG)!

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Didn't even worry about the 2nd half attack from Leicester. We looked pretty comfortable.

This is not our perfect final form. We aren't there yet.. But we are surely making good progress. At some point you have to start trusting the process.

Haphazard

Well done again, he is definitely improving the defense and getting the team to start quickly.

We obviously will lose some games but I think he should keep this formation/team going forward.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Oh and also have to mention that his signings THIS season have been spot on. If you are gonna blame him for willian and Cedric, then he should get praised for this. Ramsdale, white, lokonga, Tavares, tomiyasu. Ødegaard is a bit up and down so far but have belief on him to turn it around long term.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Undefeated 2 months in a row! Though it won't be enough this time to win manager of the month given the 2 draws.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
For those that said being able to defend well is easy, thats absolutely not true. Then using people like Pulis as a comparison when his teams conceded lots of goals anyway doesn't make any sense. Just give credit where its due, having the most clean sheets is great.

It is true though that being defensively solid and being able to score goals in the biggest challenge though, but you have to start with a solid defence. Arteta has transformed our defence from being a joke and comical to being one of the best in the league
Current PL defensive record is 13 goals conceded in 10 games.

In Emery's last season we conceded 14 goals in 10 games, but had a GD of +1 unlike this season -1. So it's more or less identical.

In Emery's 1st season we also conceded 13 goals in 10 games, and didn't have a negative goal difference like we do know.

And season further back we also conceded 13 goals in 10 games in Wenger's last season, and again didn't have a negative goal difference like we do know.

So in each of the last 3 seasons without Arteta we've had basically an identical defensive record as we currently have now (but on 2 occasions had far better attacking records). So where's the transformation you speak of from being a joke and comical to being one of the best in the league? The records are identical.

And before the xGA merchants start piping up:

We currently have an xGA of 17.53.

In Emerys' last season it was 15.56
In Emerys' 1st season it was 14.42
In Wengers' last season it was 11.39

So in terms of xGA we've actually regressed.

There's no need for hyperbole.

We've had two good results on the bounce, lets get 3 points against Watford but then we've got a tricky set fixtures with Liverpool, Everton and United all away in 3 of our next 4 games.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The defending for large portions after we go ahead is an issue that has to be solved for sure I absolutely agree. The 13 in 10 games is not taking into account context and to think we dont have one of the best defences in the league for what is the second season now is incorrect.
Based on what do we have one of the best defences? Goals conceded? Chances conceded? Shots conceded? We not top 5 in any of them. Individually we have good defenders. But I would bet anything Brighton for example will concede less than us this season. Our defence is actually hindered by Arteta. Best defence is keeping the ball and attacking. Every time we play a very hood team we have less possession. Most times don’t even get up to 40%. Today we had 33%. There is no way that Leicester team should have 67% of the ball dominating us

DasBootist

Extension time imo. Can see us push on and get top 4.

This time feels different.
Due to his complete lack of experience managing at the highest level, Arteta needed the 2020/21 season to experiment and implement his strongest team. We are getting there, so it is possible the higher-ups were correct in backing him

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Our press and positioning have come on for a few games now, and I would argue that this has had quite a hand in our recent successes. I'm liking Arteta experimenting with the two up top.

Our game management still remains poor though, Arteta is still too eager to drop deep when at an advantage. This is something he has to work on next, in terms of our core approach because better and luckier teams will punish us.

All in all, the good work behind the scenes continue. I'm liking the smaller ideas here and there like the CB running into midfield, the fast-low distribution from the keeper and our work done in the set pieces.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Due to his complete lack of experience managing at the highest level, Arteta needed the 2020/21 season to experiment and implement his strongest team. We are getting there, so it is possible the higher-ups were correct in backing him
Never should have gotten the job due to lack of experience. Should have been sacked last season. Arteta took over a team that finished 5th and was in crisis because it was 8th in November. All that happened is he completely changed the goals of the club.

Brilliant insights mate! If they would have scored 2 goals it would have been a draw!

Never change A-M!

I meant a goal, not 2.

DasBootist

Never should have gotten the job due to lack of experience. Should have been sacked last season. Arteta took over a team that finished 5th and was in crisis because it was 8th in November. All that happened is he completely changed the goals of the club.

I meant a goal, not 2.
I agree with you regarding his appointment, but the past is the past. I have noticed a sea change in our approach to matches and Arteta has clearly improved as a manger since he arrived. If he continues in this vein, he should stay. Great summer business and a strong squad of players.

Let us see how the season pans out.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom