• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Exactly.

Lot's of "I'll stop backing him if x". No you won't :lol:

Club won't either. It's top 4 and he gets to go again. Right now it needs to be something catastrophic to get him sacked.

Again, context.

91 points + next season but no trophies means he should be leaving, because 5 years and no trophies isn’t acceptable, it isn’t just about the league. We need to start winning things.

Next season I’d take 85 points, 2nd to City and an FA cup/deep CL run.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Again, context.

91 points + next season but no trophies means he should be leaving, because 5 years and no trophies isn’t acceptable, it isn’t just about the league. We need to start winning things.

Don’t think this outlook makes much sense. To me, as long as he’s pushing/breaching the 90 point barrier sacking him is ludicrous. Very few others could reliably do that

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Klopp won every trophy except for Europa League. 3 CL final appearances. More than Pep at City.

But Klopp's time is done. He is burnt out and pushing close to 60.

Pep is hinting at next year is his last year. Ancelotti has a couple of more years.

The landscape is changing. The Arteta's and Alonso's of football are leading the charge.

Think Alonso goes to City, tbh. Seems like a match on every font.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Don’t think this outlook makes much sense. To me, as long as he’s pushing/breaching the 90 point barrier sacking him is ludicrous. Very few others could reliably do that

We can’t go years and years without any trophies.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
The Havertz experiment and dropping Gabriel hurt us for no reason as Kai was horrific early in season. Plus Unai beat him up twice and took his lunch money; we got some dodgy calls against Villa on the road but still. For Arsenal to best City Mik has to be near perfect; he wasn’t particularly early on and against Villa.

Gn1212

Would that tinpot League Cup made it easier for you?

We've competed for biggest domestic trophy for two seasons in a row against arguably the greatest PL team ever.
We've shown progress year in year.

This ain't some fake title charge like Sp**s and Man Utd and our team is nowhere near their peak yet.

El Duderino

We did. We'll do so again. Owner is more than happy with competing every once in a while, but the baseline is the CL.

For better or worse, if you want the club to keep investing like it's been, it's with Arteta at the helm for the foreseeable.

Next manager? I'd wager they won't get this much backing.

The Kroenke's - through Arteta and, to some extent, Edu - have invested enough in the squad that the next guy can manage to get top 4 without much hassle.

Plus, if Pep leaves at the end of next season, the landscape changes completely.

El Duderino

The Havertz experiment and dropping Gabriel hurt us for no reason as Kai was horrific early in season. Plus Unai beat him up twice and took his lunch money; we got some dodgy calls against Villa on the road but still. For Arsenal to best City Mik has to be near perfect; he wasn’t particularly early on and against Villa.

Beginning of the season was some unneeded growing pains, yes. But if you look at our second half of the season, Villa is far and away the thing that made the difference.

When we weren't clicking but getting results, it was tolerable to drop points. That Villa match was a small bottle job and hurts, but you can see the bounce back was immediate and under normal circumstances we would've won the title.

The conversation should always be "can he keep learning from his mistakes?". Next season will present Arteta a bunch of challengers. and he'll need to adapt fast.

Much of the spine of his best XI will be feeling a bit tired with the Copa America and the Euros coming up.

He'll need to actually use the squad a lot more, specially if key players make the latter stages of those competitions.

Safe to say we were lucky with injuries to Gabriel, Saliba, Saka, Ødegaard and others.

Farzad

Beginning of the season was some unneeded growing pains, yes. But if you look at our second half of the season, Villa is far and away the thing that made the difference.

When we weren't clicking but getting results, it was tolerable to drop points. That Villa match was a small bottle job and hurts, but you can see the bounce back was immediate and under normal circumstances we would've won the title.

The conversation should always be "can he keep learning from his mistakes?". Next season will present Arteta a bunch of challengers. and he'll need to adapt fast.

Much of the spine of his best XI will be feeling a bit tired with the Copa America and the Euros coming up.

He'll need to actually use the squad a lot more, specially if key players make the latter stages of those competitions.
We need more players. I think if we were closer City still had another gear or half gear. We were very fortunate with injuries that didn’t stress test our depth. Mik needs a good window and to get the big calls right for season. He can’t afford an early season wobble we need a lead on City. Mik needs a better squad to use squad more. But agreed he overplays certain players, and doesn’t give some a chance, there is definitely room for improvement in rotations. The larger point being both Mik and players need to be nearly flawless for a season to do it; we can’t have self inflicted wounds.

Ps Villa at home really stings he seemed unable to adjust at all and get us into match

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Again, context.

Hmm I think this is a weird hill to die on.

Ok let's discuss a hypothetical. This is not going to happen but I'm trying to work out where you draw the line:

Arsenal finish with 110 points but end up 2nd (this means that Arsenal are invincible btw).

Why? Because $hitty finish with 110 points but beat us on GD. We don't win any trophies and exit the CL in the first knockout round. Would you say Arteta should still leave because of no trophy, despite what most would say is an amazing season?

Another one, let's say we finish on 70 points (not 85). We barely make top 4, we don't win any cups, but we get to the CL semi-final; that's what I'd consider a deep CL run. Is this acceptable?

Ok what about the same scenario as above but we get to the CL final instead of the semis but still lose, does that cross the threshold into acceptable? What if we got unlucky in the semis in the previous scenario?

Last edited:

fute

We did. We'll do so again. Owner is more than happy with competing every once in a while, but the baseline is the CL.

For better or worse, if you want the club to keep investing like it's been, it's with Arteta at the helm for the foreseeable.

Next manager? I'd wager they won't get this much backing.

The Kroenke's - through Arteta and, to some extent, Edu - have invested enough in the squad that the next guy can manage to get top 4 without much hassle.

Plus, if Pep leaves at the end of next season, the landscape changes completely.

Plus, these are American owners. They look at it through the prism of the american sports they own. Titles are hard to come by. It took years to build the Nuggets just to win their 1st title last year.

Same with the Rams to win that 1 Super Bowl with the Rams. McVay still calls his own shots, and is not on the hot seat (he had no head coaching experience prior to coaching the Rams).

They've taken a patient approach with Arteta and keep investing and improving the team.

fute

Ok let's discuss a hypothetical. This is not going to happen but I'm trying to work out where you draw the line:

Arsenal finish with 112 points but end up 2nd (this means that Arsenal invincible btw).

Why? Because $hitty finish with 114 points. We don't win any trophies and exit the CL in the first knockout round. Would you say Arteta should still leave because of no trophy, despite what most would say is an amazing season?

Another one, let's say we finish on 70 points (not 85). We barely make top 4, we don't win any cups, but we get to the CL semi-final; that's what I'd consider a deep CL run. Is this acceptable?

Ok what about the same scenario as above but we get to the CL final instead of the semis but still lose, does that cross the threshold into acceptable? What if we got unlucky in the semis in the previous scenario?
Another scenario: Make top 2 but tied with City in points. We lose on Goal differential by a point. FA cup exit in February. CL final top 8 again. However, lose the League cup final with Ramsdale's replacement in goal and a couple of academy kids in heavy rotation. Is that acceptable?

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard

Arsenal finish with 112 points but end up 2nd (this means that Arsenal invincible btw).

Why? Because $hitty finish with 114 points. We don't win any trophies and exit the CL in the first knockout round. Would you say Arteta should still leave because of no trophy, despite what most would say is an amazing season?

I agree with your point completely

But us getting 112 and city getting 114 can't happen technically

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Just being in contention for PL/CL consistently raises a clubs profile considerably which increases the club's commercial value. So the Kroenkes are already getting a return on the money they've been investing and as long as Arteta has us consistently challenging for PL/CL they aren't gonna gamble on someone else maybe being able to get us over the line, that's not a financially sound decision.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
We need more players. I think if we were closer City still had another gear or half gear. We were very fortunate with injuries that didn’t stress test our depth. Mik needs a good window and to get the big calls right for season. He can’t afford an early season wobble we need a lead on City. Mik needs a better squad to use squad more. But agreed he overplays certain players, and doesn’t give some a chance, there is definitely room for improvement in rotations. The larger point being both Mik and players need to be nearly flawless for a season to do it; we can’t have self inflicted wounds.

Ps Villa at home really stings he seemed unable to adjust at all and get us into match

We should have been 3 goals up when we played Villa at home and the match would have been over.

Farzad

We should have been 3 goals up when we played Villa at home and the match would have been over.
We don’t have a clinical striker. Villa at home really stings no way around it. I can’t help think season would have been different if we didn’t have the Kai resurrection period and instead had a Kudus or Simmons

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Top Bottom