• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I believe not selling AMN to be a mistake. But in hindsight, perhaps the reasoning was that we didn’t want to strengthen a possible top 6 rival in Wolves?

More likely, it’s because we could get more for him than what’s offered in the covid market.

Off the back of AMN's end to last season, his age, the English tax, he's HG and the fact the got his first England cap around the time, £15m was a derisory bid from Wolves.

Even if you think AMN should be sold, that wasn't the bid to sell him to.

Legend14

Established Member
Calm down. It was a light hearted post.

You did say Arteta or any other manager wasn't able to make us competitive whilst having Xhaka Elneny/Ceballos in the team. Well those players are currently in the starting 11. You also said we couldn't expect to beat relegation fodder until we bought some new players as our squad was crap. Something which sounded absurd even when we were struggling. And yes we are winning because Arteta has realised the flaw in his original game plan of just getting it wide and spamming in crosses.

Find a post of me where I call for Arteta to be sacked. I want him to succeed, I just get frustrated when he was clearly holding back the potential in our squad. Imo this squad should be challenging for top 4, minimum top 6.
Again, you missed the point of what I said and the context in which I said it. Do you think we start winning without adding ESR? So, adding quality has made a difference or has changing the manager?

Some just are not big enough to admit Arteta knows how to coach the team and when he has better players it shows.

Legend14

Established Member
From the BBc
There were 20 passes in the build-up to Tierney's opener and, since Arteta took charge in December 2019, Arsenal have scored more Premier League goals following a sequence of 20-plus passes than any other side.
Weird stat association for Tierney’s goal. In the end it was one-on-one excellence and less about combining or possessing. The 20 passes before he took action were less relevent.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

From the BBc
There were 20 passes in the build-up to Tierney's opener and, since Arteta took charge in December 2019, Arsenal have scored more Premier League goals following a sequence of 20-plus passes than any other side.
Perhaps that is sign that we could perhaps be a wee bit more direct. Arsène would nod approvingly though.

Weird stat association for Tierney’s goal. In the end it was one-on-one excellence and less about combining or possessing. The 20 passes before he took action were less relevent.

Well, the purpose of possession football is trying to shuffle and swift the opposition defense until you can create one and one situation for a cross or shot on target. I think that is more like Pep like it, it's why he requires a lot of individual quality to make it work and it cost a lot.

Then there is a possession football like Wenger liked it and it's about getting our own players into the correct position for a combination goal like our second goal was.

Perhaps that is sign that we could perhaps be a wee bit more direct. Arsène would nod approvingly though.

I think one of our major problems during our bad run under Arteta is that we were rushing everything and maybe too direct. We were lacking focus and patience in many actions.

I think we have found a good balance in the last 3 games and hopefully, it's something we are learning as a team but not a fluke!

shoot for the top

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Crosses per game went from over 20 to 11, from most in the league to 16th in the league. Do you understand anything about progression/trends? :lol::lol::lol:
This is what happens 15 year old keyboard warriors try to sound smart.

It took addition of one player to change our gameplay from spamming low quality hopeful lumps from 35 yards out into the box all game long to creating good overloads and cutbacks from dangerous areas. Arteta being a genius couldn't figure that out when we were churning out U-formations game after game sending us towards relegation.

That is the one thing that is still worrying me, did Arteta knowingly implement this new method of football or did the players just started clicking? According to Tierney post-match interview, he said nothing has changed in training.

akhil

Again, you missed the point of what I said and the context in which I said it. Do you think we start winning without adding ESR? So, adding quality has made a difference or has changing the manager?

Some just are not big enough to admit Arteta knows how to coach the team and when he has better players it shows.

Sure adding quality has affected the last 3 performances. But it's not like we brought in someone from outside. That said quality player has been at the club since he was 10 and made his debut for the club over two and a half years ago. He's been training at Colney under Arteta's oversight since early October. We only started seeing him given a legit chance at the end of December, when injuries and form forced his hand.

I don't doubt his ability to coach, I doubt his ability to assess a player.

Legend14

Established Member
Sure adding quality has affected the last 3 performances. But it's not like we brought in someone from outside. That said quality player has been at the club since he was 10 and made his debut for the club over two and a half years ago. He's been training at Colney under Arteta's oversight since early October. We only started seeing him given a legit chance at the end of December, when injuries and form forced his hand.

I don't doubt his ability to coach, I doubt his ability to assess a player.
I don’t recall saying we couldn’t find quality at U23 or U21 or from injury. I do recall saying we were not going to win much with the existing quality and if we did it, it would be sporadic at best.

I also questioned Arteta’s ability to assess youth. ESR seemed like a no brainer now that I get a chance to see him play. Who was looking at him everyday? Baffling.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
That is the one thing that is still worrying me, did Arteta knowingly implement this new method of football or did the players just started clicking? According to Tierney post-match interview, he said nothing has changed in training.
Only Arteta will know for sure. We can guess. Listen if the answer is that simple then either you're incompetent to not have changed it earlier or you're too stubborn to admit that you made a mistake.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The thing is, we needed a ten but we had plenty of players with some no10 attributes that he could have used. Nelson, Saka and Willian could all have done a decent job as a 10. ESR isn’t exactly killing it, he’s just intelligently occupying those positions and enabling others.

Arteta even told us that Willian was brought in to play as the no10 and as a winger. He chose to abandon the no10 because he believed that was the way forward, not because he couldn’t get one.
Don't forget what he said about Ceballos as outlined in this post:
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mikel-arteta-taking-the-mik.34033/page-951#post-5327296

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

I actually think Willian or Saka could have played the ESR role and we would still have won. It isn't so much about adding quality but putting players in the right places. Has laca added quality? No he hasn't but now he is playing properly up front, he looks a completely different player.

If Arteta knew how to coach a team then why did it take a year for him to realise we would go nowhere if we persist with 5 at the back. Why did it take him so long to realise Laca isn't really suited as some kind of a false midfielder.

He clearly is learning on the job. Let's hope for our club he is a fast learner. Things look positive at the moment because it looks like he is learning from his mistakes.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
He needs to be less stubborn, being stubborn in football does not get you far.

Arsène Wenger. Possibly the most stubborn manager in PL history. He wasn't too shabby ;)

Virtually every great manager has a high degree of stubbornness. Pep, Fergie, Mourinho etc.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Crosses per game went from over 20 to 11, from most in the league to 16th in the league. Do you understand anything about progression/trends? :lol::lol::lol:
This is what happens 15 year old keyboard warriors try to sound smart.

It took addition of one player to change our gameplay from spamming low quality hopeful lumps from 35 yards out into the box all game long to creating good overloads and cutbacks from dangerous areas. Arteta being a genius couldn't figure that out when we were churning out U-formations game after game sending us towards relegation.

Dude. I have no idea who you're talking to because I have them on ignore. Do yourself a favour and follow suit.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom