• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's not black and white with young Mikel is it? We disagree on certain players but at least you have a reasonable take on the situation.

I have admittedly lost the plot but when I assess things in the cold light of day, even I can admit Mikel has actually done some good in tricky circumstances. He's not this evil guy here to ruin the club he's a guy who gets the club and is trying his best.

We won't until years down the line, but it would be interesting to see what his actual to-do list is and where his priorities are. I think changing the culture of the club was probably#1 which would explain why there's persistence with him behind the scenes despite the results.

I think it's easy to get frustrated as an Arsenal fan at the moment. Some have got more angry with the manager, some like, me more so with the players. I think you just pick your poison as a fan

I remember during that really bad run in November / December Arteta looked so gaunt and physically ill on the touchline. I don't know if he's going to make it here long term anymore to be honest but I don't question that it hurts him when we lose and he's giving it his absolute all to do the best job he can. Whether that's good enough time will tell I suppose.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This will be the board's thinking too, Arteta will be under pressure next season to do better in the league...he has been given this season to use as a learning curve.
Not making even the Europa will cost the club £40m. Throw in the pandemic, and the eventual gate money losses from people who don't want to witness mid table football and less kids wanting the merchandise and this club is likely to take a huge loss of revenue.

It's a rare company in any line of business that can afford to take a hit like that while they give a rooky manager a chance to learn on the job, particularly when it's obvious he's been making mistakes.

The fans have cost this club dearly. And with long waiting lists people clearly wanted to see Arsène's football, but paying the highest ticket prices for this sh!t aint going to happen.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arteta's big mistake this season was not moving away from the 343 quick enough. It was so obvious that teams would figure out that formation and patterns of play. Our only real way of creating chances was play out from the back, draw the opposition onto us, overload the left and play in behind for Auba. Teams just then sat off us and we didn't have an answer in that early period, and by then our season was essentially done.

I do think that since ESR came in, the team has looked a lot better, and results have been more acceptable, but by that point it was too late to salvage the league campaign.

Benfica on Thursday is massive for him.

Reactions: A_G

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Do they have a better manager? Well, if they did, it didn’t seem to matter against Arsenal players. What do you think made the difference, since they were thoroughly dominated that day?
So we won one game. Is Arteta better than Pep because he beat him once? Better than Klopp? Is Big Sam better than Wenger? Is Pulis better than Wenger?

Fact is, on the table, Leeds are ahead of us.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
People will never change they wanted Arteta so badly but of course didn't know the cost will be us having up down season in midtable if the club were targeting rebuilding and take 2 season in midtable while focusing on cups and europa should just hired Artera from start and not emery with emery we wasted 2 season even tho first season was very promising but it wasn't rebuilding Ivan just put us in more troubles than we needed of course raul make it worse. What we we need now is stability with edu Arteta no matter what your opinion on Arteta but his plans are clear and players understand what he asking them to do on pitch it's another matter if they execute it be discipline

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
So we won one game. Is Arteta better than Pep because he beat him once? Better than Klopp? Is Big Sam better than Wenger? Is Pulis better than Wenger?

Fact is, on the table, Leeds are ahead of us.
Bielsa been with Leeds since summer 2018 that's almost 3 years he get his ideas plans 3 summer transfer windows with club I'm not defending mikel but that unfair compere if you wanna compare it should be Moyes Mourinho Ancelotti both took Job in similar time last year and so apart from Moyes the other managers having same struggles

Finesse

Arteta's big mistake this season was not moving away from the 343 quick enough. It was so obvious that teams would figure out that formation and patterns of play. Our only real way of creating chances was play out from the back, draw the opposition onto us, overload the left and play in behind for Auba. Teams just then sat off us and we didn't have an answer in that early period, and by then our season was essentially done.

I do think that since ESR came in, the team has looked a lot better, and results have been more acceptable, but by that point it was too late to salvage the league campaign.

Benfica on Thursday is massive for him.

Looking at the big picture, this was his mistake. He won the FA Cup beating some tough opponents operating this way. Even though he went out to get Aouar , we were tentative and went for Partey in the end. The central player maker role was not very top on his agenda. It was just another way we could play and he spent the months after lockdown, keeping Özil ( playmaker) out of the team and using a 343 to win the FA Cup. As you stated , teams soon clocked it and we had this terrible run.

The thing is he has moved it around since Chelsea. With ESR a main stay in the team. MO came in lately and fully integrated. He has seen our fortunes creatively comes from clever midfielders bringing to play the wingers and full backs to provide for the striker. It worked since Chelsea. It is having some teething problems due to individual player deficiencies we are all now aware about. ( Better RB needed , LW position needs to be filled , more dynamic striker that can contribute to build up and clinical etc) During the rot the issue was Auba not getting chances in records hours of open play. Now its is Auba missing gifted chances within 90 minutes of play. There is an improvement and a basis to work from. The defence is good. This team is winning away from home again despite the abysmal record over the years. There is something missing and the table position reflects that. I think it is also on the players now to look at the next games and go for it.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Bielsa been with Leeds since summer 2018 that's almost 3 years he get his ideas plans 3 summer transfer windows with club I'm not defending mikel but that unfair compere if you wanna compare it should be Moyes Mourinho Ancelotti both took Job in similar time last year and so apart from Moyes the other managers having same struggles
And West Ham is overachieving in my opinion.

And you are defending Mikel, and I'm okay with that.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
And West Ham is overachieving in my opinion.

And you are defending Mikel, and I'm okay with that.
I'm 50/50 with mikel all for me is next season if we facing same struggles we shouldn't continue because as long you support him Arsenal can't be 10-8th for 3 straight season unacceptable imo because financially and expectations are way higher than this even if it's rebuilding

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Didn't the club kinda go all in on Arteta, as "The Project" when we hired him...wonder how much the board panicking now, we don't seem the type of club anymore to have any sort of back up plan :lol:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Comparing Ancelotti to Arteta, he took over with Everton below us in the table and they've now got a very good chance of getting top 4 for the first time in years. I'm not saying they will but I'd say he's definitely progressed them at a quicker rate than we have so far.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not making even the Europa will cost the club £40m. Throw in the pandemic, and the eventual gate money losses from people who don't want to witness mid table football and less kids wanting the merchandise and this club is likely to take a huge loss of revenue.

It's a rare company in any line of business that can afford to take a hit like that while they give a rooky manager a chance to learn on the job, particularly when it's obvious he's been making mistakes.

The fans have cost this club dearly. And with long waiting lists people clearly wanted to see Arsène's football, but paying the highest ticket prices for this sh!t aint going to happen.

"Clicks View posts from ignored members"

"Sees a @Makingtrax post"

"Expects Wenger to be mentioned but hopes @Makingtrax has pulled his head out his arse"

"Skims through post, sees Wenger mentioned"

"Rolls eyes, logs off"

My god you're pathetic. Why can't you get the **** over it. The only person who was sacked was Arsène due to stagnating performance over a few years. Get real, get a grip.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I'm 50/50 with mikel all for me is next season if we facing same struggles we shouldn't continue because as long you support him Arsenal can't be 10-8th for 3 straight season unacceptable imo because financially and expectations are way higher than this even if it's rebuilding
I don't disagree. But I think we'll be competing for Top 4 next season. There are more changes to come. And while the possibility of not having Europe may hurt us financially, I don't think it will in being able to attract the quality of player that we need right now.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Comparing Ancelotti to Arteta, he took over with Everton below us in the table and they've now got a very good chance of getting top 4 for the first time in years. I'm not saying they will but I'd say he's definitely progressed them at a quicker rate than we have so far.
He only 6 points ahead of Arteta not a major turnaround. As i said I'm not defending Mikel because i was expected at least being in top 6 at this stage not 11th

goldengod

He only 6 points ahead of Arteta not a major turnaround. As i said I'm not defending Mikel because i was expected at least being in top 6 at this stage not 11th
Everton finished last season 7 points behind us in 12th. So actually its more like a 13 point swing really.

Also given the league hasn't ended yet, being 6 points off could easily be 10 by the end of the season.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

They still have a game in hand as well but obviously they might not win that. I'm a lot more convinced by Everton what I've seen from us, made a similar amount of transfers pre season to us as well. Hindsight is a great thing but frustrating Ancelotti was available when Arteta was appointed. Of course he's probably on a lot more money than Mikel is as well.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Didn't the club kinda go all in on Arteta, as "The Project" when we hired him...wonder how much the board panicking now, we don't seem the type of club anymore to have any sort of back up plan :lol:

Only real person who we need to think of is Josh. Maybe Tim Lewis at a at most.

I think he survives even if he loses to Benfica, sadly. Though the prospect of no European football and its impact on our accounts might be too big for Josh and his da' to take.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Let's be real if we don't get any sort of European football next season the owner will have to pump money in to prevent us dropping further. No two ways about it.

However I dont envisage that happening. I think we'll end up getting into the top 6 this season.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Only real person who we need to think of is Josh. Maybe Tim Lewis at a at most.

I think he survives even if he loses to Benfica, sadly. Though the prospect of no European football and its impact on our accounts might be too big for Josh and his da' to take.
£96m for gate receipts lost due to COVID (Arsenal Supporters Trusters estimate ). Add about another £200m+ lost on players sales in the last few years eg Ramsey, Özil, Sanchez/Mikhi, Mustafi etc.

They had to remortgage to get Partey, and they’ve borrowed another £120m from the Bank of England since to try and cover some of this.

Throw in another £40m loss for not qualifying for Europe and Arsenal from a position of real strength are struggling badly.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Let's be real if we don't get any sort of European football next season the owner will have to pump money in to prevent us dropping further. No two ways about it.

However I dont envisage that happening. I think we'll end up getting into the top 6 this season.

I'm playing devil's advocate, but from Kroenke's perspective why would he have to invest if we missed out on European football? Why wouldn't he just tell Arteta to tighten the purse strings and live within a lesser budget?

There's no reason to think that on field success is a priority for Kroenke. We're a low risk, long term fairly high profit business investment to him, nothing more.

The value of the club isn't going to go down if we finish 10th this year. We're still a global name, with tremendous brand recognition and history, a lovely stadium, situated in probably the most desirable city in the world, from a football and business perspective.

We have so much going for us in terms of business and off field stuff / location etc that it would be almost impossible to tank the value of the club.

We'd probably have to get relegated to do any real harm to Kroenke's investment to be honest.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom