• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Bielsa been with Leeds since summer 2018 that's almost 3 years he get his ideas plans 3 summer transfer windows with club I'm not defending mikel but that unfair compere if you wanna compare it should be Moyes Mourinho Ancelotti both took Job in similar time last year and so apart from Moyes the other managers having same struggles
Makes sense for me.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
They didn't remortgage to get Partey. They remortgaged to free up the ring fenced funds. Now if that was subsequently used on Partey or not is a different matter. Theres no evidence suggesting it was or wasn't used. We will probably never know.

Losses on gate receipts is of course a big deal. However it can be dealt with comfortably. Adding up POTENTIAL fees that we may or may not have received for players who have now gone is fairly irrelevant.

The 120m loan from the bank of England is being paid back in May in a couple of months time. The interest rates are so low that is was a no brainer to take it at that time. May is also the time where we get payments from sponsors/competitions and such. So it ties in well.

You're then looking at a quite large chunk of money coming off the wage bill. We've already ripped 30m a year out of the it. And in the summer we will probably be taking a further 20-40M off the wage bill.

Not forgetting transfer fees either. Whilst it will be difficult we will be able to get some transfer fees for certain players.

I'm not saying we will have a ton of money to spend, because we won't and we'll still need help from the owner. But the club will have a plan. They're aware that we will need 3 or 4 quality signings this summer. They arent stupid and considering what we've done in the last two windows I'm fairly confident we will go onto this summer and do very well in the market.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Didn't the club kinda go all in on Arteta, as "The Project" when we hired him...wonder how much the board panicking now, we don't seem the type of club anymore to have any sort of back up plan :lol:
I don't think there will be much of a panic related to this, yet. The heat will not be on until we come in September. If we have a poor start, and if there is a full stadium....then I think the situation will be very different.

I hope we improve till then, and that we have a good transfer window in the summer.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Bielsa been with Leeds since summer 2018 that's almost 3 years he get his ideas plans 3 summer transfer windows with club I'm not defending mikel but that unfair compere if you wanna compare it should be Moyes Mourinho Ancelotti both took Job in similar time last year and so apart from Moyes the other managers having same struggles
He has a Championship squad at best. I somehow doubt one whole year isn't enough for Arteta to get at least the squad he does have playing a certain way, when Bielsa manages to do it with a Championship squad

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
What I don't get is people who don't see that we don't have a style of play. Bielsa had a style of play at this point, whether it was successful or not is another thing. Klopp had a style within months, even with a midtable squad. Pep had his team play his way within months before the signings as well too.

Ole doesn't have a style. Arteta doesn't have a style. Lampard didn't have a style.

Iceman10

Established Member
Let's be real if we don't get any sort of European football next season the owner will have to pump money in to prevent us dropping further. No two ways about it.

However I dont envisage that happening. I think we'll end up getting into the top 6 this season.

I look at our upcoming PL matches and I don’t see Top 6, especially when Arteta will prioritise team selections for EL matches that will be in the schedule assuming we beat Benfica. That’s the problem for me. It is a bit like when Emery was going all out for the EL, we fell out of Top 4, and lost in the EL final. If we had squad depth players playing well I would feel a little differently, but I’ve repeated multiple times on that same point (for a reason).

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's crazy. Aston Villa, west Ham, leeds and Everton are all above us in the table and none of those teams have better players than us infact, you could argue that our team is just as good as Leicester's, but we still have fans here who think those teams have better players than us :lol:

I mean what then is the manager's if not to get the best out of the players?

"I don't watch matches to rate the manager"
Fúcking he'll :lol:
Covid PL. It means nothing. Some have benefitted, some haven’t. I’m sure Liverpool would be a fair few points better off if Anfield was rocking every week. Nobody can convince me that Covid hasn’t had a massive say on how things have panned out so far. We’ve all got to deal with it though, so it’s fair for everybody.

gamechannel

That's just a rather stupid defense of Arteta. Bielsa has been at Leads for under 3 years, sure. But they have improved EVERY year. That's my issue with Arteta. I'd be ok with us in 11th place of we had finished the previous season lower than 11th. But that's not the case. By all accounts we are performing worse across the board compared to last year. So not surewhy you're using Bielsa's tenure as a reason to defend Arteta. Simply put, project or not, there is no reason we should be 11th in the table. And this is squarely at Arteta's feet.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
That's just a rather stupid defense of Arteta. Bielsa has been at Leads for under 3 years, sure. But they have improved EVERY year. That's my issue with Arteta. I'd be ok with us in 11th place of we had finished the previous season lower than 11th. But that's not the case. By all accounts we are performing worse across the board compared to last year. So not surewhy you're using Bielsa's tenure as a reason to defend Arteta. Simply put, project or not, there is no reason we should be 11th in the table. And this is squarely at Arteta's feet.
I think we can all define the style of play Bielsa/Klopp/Pep, hell, even Potter/Howe have. What's Arteta's way? What does he want us to do?

All I see is confusion. Our approach is both to counter and to not counter, to play out from the back but also lump it forward on a goalkick. And it's not even "contextual". We play 3 at the back and also 4 at the back. We cross the ball a lot but we don't have a tall striker.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think we can all define the style of play Bielsa/Klopp/Pep, hell, even Potter/Howe have. What's Arteta's way? What does he want us to do?

All I see is confusion. Our approach is both to counter and to not counter, to play out from the back but also lump it forward on a goalkick. And it's not even "contextual". We play 3 at the back and also 4 at the back. We cross the ball a lot but we don't have a tall striker.

Was Klopp’s identity stamped on Liverpool after one a half seasons in or was he building towards an identity with steps in the middle and building foundations? I saw similar criticisms of Emery earlier and this talk about identity comes up because both Emery and Arteta have focused a lot on foundations of defensive and positional discipline first, and to be fair to Arteta he has succeeded more on that than Emery. After that comes focus on attack and to be fair Arteta is working on fluidity across our AM line but maybe there is slight disruption as Ødegaard is being added to ESR and Saka (my idea was never to play all three together much but more to rotate them). Bottom line though, I think it is clear where Arteta wants to get to, but it is going to cost a lot of money as he can’t just rely on 3-4 players he likes all the time. The problem is how he would do with less money.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Covid PL. It means nothing. Some have benefitted, some haven’t. I’m sure Liverpool would be a fair few points better off if Anfield was rocking every week. Nobody can convince me that Covid hasn’t had a massive say on how things have panned out so far. We’ve all got to deal with it though, so it’s fair for everybody.
If we had match-going crowd at the emirates every week, it might probably have been worse.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If we had match-going crowd at the emirates every week, it might probably have been worse.
One things for sure, it would certainly have been different! We rarely get late equalisers or late winners these days. Not sure what the stats would say pre-Covid, but it sure feels like they’ve run dry

Iceman10

Established Member

Liverpool were looking good for the PL back in December, so I’m not sure Covid is the reason, or at least not the major reason. They’ve had injuries catch up with them, particularly in the defensive unit, a bit like City the season before. Up front they haven’t been clicking as they have done before. Maybe that is form but it could also be form affected by Covid disruption. I think it is mostly about injuries for Liverpool although their run of success at Anfield probably could have been sustained longer with help of their fans in the stadium. For Arsenal, as @Oxeki says it is hard to work out if things would have been better or worse with capacity crowds at the Emirates. Swings and roundabouts as there are also benefits for away matches where opposition fans are absent.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Liverpool were looking good for the PL back in December, so I’m not sure Covid is the reason, or at least not the major reason. They’ve had injuries catch up with them, particularly in the defensive unit, a bit like City the season before. Up front they haven’t been clicking as they have done before. Maybe that is form but it could also be form affected by Covid disruption. I think it is mostly about injuries for Liverpool although their run of success at Anfield probably could have been sustained longer with help of their fans in the stadium. For Arsenal, as @Oxeki says it is hard to work out if things would have been better or worse with capacity crowds at the Emirates.
Yeah I have no idea whether it would’ve been better or worse for us. We can just as easily feed negatively off a home crowd as we can respond positively. We get sound effects played over the action and I think people are sometimes forgetting that these games are being played out in total silence. This is not really football to be honest.Football is about moments and crowds can create those moments and determine decisions taken by players on the pitch. I think we are forgetting a lot of the time that this really isn’t football!

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
three managers havent been able to compete and get top 4 now since Kroenke tightened their death grip on this club.

At some point we need to stop falling for the deflection by the trolls and shills, and lay the blame squarely on the owners and their ****ty deliberate strangling emasculation of the club into a tame poodle.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Was Klopp’s identity stamped on Liverpool after one a half seasons in or was he building towards an identity with steps in the middle and building foundations? I saw similar criticisms of Emery earlier and this talk about identity comes up because both Emery and Arteta have focused a lot on foundations of defensive and positional discipline first, and to be fair to Arteta he has succeeded more on that than Emery. After that comes focus on attack and to be fair Arteta is working on fluidity across our AM line but maybe there is slight disruption as Ødegaard is being added to ESR and Saka (my idea was never to play all three together much but more to rotate them). Bottom line though, I think it is clear where Arteta wants to get to, but it is going to cost a lot of money as he can’t just rely on 3-4 players he likes all the time. The problem is how he would do with less money.
No, his identity was into the team within 5 months. His second season was heavy metal football with no defensive structure before they got Van Djik and Allison in

goldengod

I think the vast majority would have agreed at the beginning of the season that the minimum for Arteta should have been to get EL qualification again. If he doesn't do that, he should be sacked. None of this 'give him time' malarky. He's had time, and even then, even new managers must meet minimum thresholds to be given time.

Now assuming the club chooses not to sack him, then I should hope that they properly invest in the summer as they would be clearly saying that they think the issues lie with the squad, not the manager. If they at least spent big in the summer and addressed several issues, I'd be willing to give Arteta another go next year and keep faith in the process. My fear is we keep Arteta and spend little. If so, we'll be doomed to mid-table for the next several years.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom