• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Saka, AMN, Guendouzi etc all got their breaks and performed for Emery. AMN killed Valencia I think playing RB in the EL. Saka even today talks about Emery, when he signed his contract in his statement he spoke about Emery.

If anything, the biggest issue with Arteta I have is that for now he has washed his hands with our young talent - he’s developed basically none of them. Saliba, Martinelli and AMN have actually stalled or gone backwards.
Martinelli got injured and hasn’t looked the same since. I’m sure he’ll be alright, but he’s been shuffled back and that’s just the way it is.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

To be fair, I don't think too many are trying to outright discredit Wenger. It's just becomes tiresome when it comes down to people saying 'Wenger would have done...' or 'Wenger finished in x place and still got hammered by the fans or sacked' as a way to get at Arteta.
It's not about Wenger's reign and what he would have done

It's when people say "The fact of the matter is no Arsenal manager in the last 25 years has consistently got high class performances from teenagers that have come through the system."

When first of all, it's not a fact
and secondly people run with it

I just called bullsh*t that's all.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Saka, AMN, Guendouzi etc all got their breaks and performed for Emery. AMN killed Valencia I think playing RB in the EL. Saka even today talks about Emery, when he signed his contract in his statement he spoke about Emery.

If anything, the biggest issue with Arteta I have is that for now he has washed his hands with our young talent - he’s developed basically none of them. Saliba, Martinelli and AMN have actually stalled or gone backwards.

This is the kinda posting I want to see taken into the new forum. Superb.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Martinelli got injured and hasn’t looked the same since. I’m sure he’ll be alright, but he’s been shuffled back and that’s just the way it is.
He’s been fine for a couple of months and looks his normal self, guy runs like a mad man when he gets minutes. Saliba, AMN could and should have been developed here, even Guendouzi was performing for Emery. Instead we ditched all those to use people like Luiz, Willian and El Neny.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
:lol: when I don't have an absolute opinion on a complex player like Xhaka I'm a fence sitter

When I openly state Arteta isn't for me, I am creating divides.

In any case I wasn't here to throw stones just merely pointing out Arteta is a lifetime away from Wenger when talking about developing young talent. Abou has dodgy opinions on footy anyways, not sure why I bothered.

But whatever @Sweet 'n' Sour , enjoy whatever it is you think you're seeing.
I’m not sure you can come to a conclusion after a couple of seasons about any managers ability to nurture young talent, compared to Wenger. The sample size just isn’t big enough. All we can see is two English Hale Ender’s that the country are raving about, and not a Kieran Gibbs in sight :lol:

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He’s been fine for a couple of months and looks his normal self, guy runs like a mad man when he gets minutes. Saliba, AMN could and should have been developed here, even Guendouzi was performing for Emery. Instead we ditched all those to use people like Luiz, Willian and El Neny.

I think you have a pretty good point, and as you always say Mikel wanted results right away, he didn't have time to develop these guys. The other youth he us using are good enough but not because of him.

Be interesting to see what he does next year provided theres no EL or CL, he should be building on what we have and we've seen none of that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
So we are supposed to be integrating Pepe, Martinelli etc etc and still trying to climb to a respectable position in the league?.. Who does Martinelli displace right now? This is nuts

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I haven't mentioned Arteta once...We're talking about Wenger.

I love Wenger as much as anyone (was gonna say maybe less than Makingtrax, but I think he just loves the idea of being 'right' and confirmation biasing the **** out if his idea of him lol, which means it's more of a masturbatory thing, so maybe as much or more than him too), but there seems to be an important faction on this forum that are rather blind to his deficiencies.
:lol: Being a simple Arsenal fan I just say what I see. Exciting football, top 4, = good, 11th, turgid football = bad.

I don’t pretend to be a connoisseur, seeing all the nuances of how this is somehow making us a better club, like you can. To me it’s a mystery.

So if we return to being what we were I’d be happy again, whoever the manager is.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
So if we return to being what we were I’d be happy again, whoever the manager is.

Fair play, there we agree! Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later but it won't happen overnight! Arteta picked this club up in 13th place under the direction of a wholly incompetent manager who followed a manager who had us in a steady decline. Patience is needed.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’m not sure you can come to a conclusion after a couple of seasons about any managers ability to nurture young talent, compared to Wenger. The sample size just isn’t big enough. All we can see is two English Hale Ender’s that the country are raving about, and not a Kieran Gibbs in sight :lol:
The fact that Gibbs as average as he is - was functioning and utilised at the highest level is testament to Wenger's management not a knock.

Arteta can't do this, he needs top quality in every position then perhaps maybe he can think about the top end of the table. In my opinion ofcourse.

In any case, Arteta has been here almost the same time as Emery, there is plenty to talk about without bringing Wenger into it. Saka and a couple others made their debut under Emery. Who has Arteta introduced?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Talks haughtily like this, as if others were deluded and ignorant and ignoring factual evidence for the sake of their fervent agenda.
There’s nothing haughty about that. It’s exactly what happened. 100% witnessed by everybody here. You tell me there weren’t thousands of social media posts saying ‘top 4 is not a trophy’, ‘any manager could do better and challenge for the title with Arsenal’, You tell me it didn’t grow into a crescendo of belief.

Well they’re not saying that now.

mpower2540

Agreed. It also shows how much power the media have in influencing supporters.

I've said many times over the last 20 years, there is a deeply rooted agenda anti-Arsenal within English football. You listen to the pundits speaking about clubs, whenever Arsenal get mentioned there's always a certain negative tone. Even just now funnily on talksport, the presenters were praising all the English clubs for their European endeavours including Leicester who lost; but when Arsenal came up he started slating the club and couldn't give an ounce of credit for coming back to win the tie.

Worth mentioning also this agenda goes way back even before Wenger arrived.
Agree massively. Can’t speak about before Wenger but I feel like we’ve almost been seen as a foreign club in many ways. Just a shame we never got over the line in 2007/08.

The punditry is shocking though. For instance the Liverpool vs Leicester game that Leicester won 3-1. Leicester were rubbish for most of the game and were gifted two goals via Liverpools own idiocy. Yet every single analysis I listened to/watched after it suggested that Leicester had “dug deep” were “magnificent” and are City’s closest challengers. I almost started laughing :lol:

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
So we are supposed to be integrating Pepe, Martinelli etc etc and still trying to climb to a respectable position in the league?.. Who does Martinelli displace right now? This is nuts

Shocking from the number 1 Özil basher. How you defend Arteta?

Martinelli easily comes in for any minutes Wilian gets. We are not doing anything in the league this season so need to sub off Auba for Martinelli after 60mins every match.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Now it's swung totally the other way, fans aren't remembering the legitimate flaws and issues Wenger had, particularly in his later years. He's the great manager again who could do no wrong. It's nostalgia and romanticising the past because the present isn't looking great.
Why would anybody give a **** what his flaws were if he was giving us exciting football, finishing in the top 4 every year, getting to the last 16 of Champions League, beating Sp**s continually and winning a record number of FA Cups . . . and all for a team spending 5th and below in EPL. It was ****ing amazing.

Fans are crazy.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Why would anybody give a **** what his flaws were if he was giving us exciting football, finishing in the top 4 every year, getting to the last 16 of Champions League, beating Sp**s continually and winning a record number of FA Cups . . . and all for a team spending 5th and below in EPL. It was ****ing amazing.

Fans are crazy.

Even you've admitted that Wenger went off the boil in his last couple of years here.

Wenger was amazing, we'll probably never see his like again. But he had flaws like anyone else and they became more pronounced in his last couple of years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that. Just because we love him it doesn't mean he was perfect or above receiving any criticism.

Malky

Established Member
Leicester are a better run club than us by far. But let's be honest, if Arteta lost to Slavia Praha 2-0 at home with zero goals in both legs this thread would have blood all over it. Many posters on A-M want Rodgers but he's a bit of a bottler tbf. Wouldn't be shocked if he fu*ks up top4 again like last season.
Yeah they got knocked out a tie they argubly should of won, but in the grand scale of things I don't think the Europa is the priority for them, it's clearly the top 4 - hence Rodgers resting Barnes last night even though he was also without Maddison.
Yes this place would be calling for Arteta's head if we lost to Slavia Prague, but we're not in contention for top 4 and with a FA cup quarter final to play. Leicester fans won't give a **** about last nights result if he secures them top 4, where as we get knocked out last night and our season is all but over (unless we go on some incredible run)

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Even you've admitted that Wenger went off the boil in his last couple of years here.

Wenger was amazing, we'll probably never see his like again. But he had flaws like anyone else and they became more pronounced in his last couple of years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that. Just because we love him it doesn't mean he was perfect or above receiving any criticism.
Last two years, yep. But we all know why that was.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Shocking from the number 1 Özil basher. How you defend Arteta?

Martinelli easily comes in for any minutes Wilian gets. We are not doing anything in the league this season so need to sub off Auba for Martinelli after 60mins every match.
Round and round we go... :yawn:

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom