• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Players themselves accepting they didn't follow the plan. 2nd goal and all not at all on him. He should drop whoever didn't follow the plan though.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I like manager who change things every game depend on opponents but over doing it like mikel do is not great like changing front 4 each game sometimes his back 4 we need stability with starting 11

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arteta's choices for the backline were clearly related to set-piece defending. Gabriel is decent in the air, as seen by his goal against Olympiakos, but it seems to be Mari's strong point, along with long-range passing (i.e. for the counter attack).
If we were planning to sit back and counter West Ham, and not impose ourselves on them with the players we’ve got, then that’s unacceptable tbh. We’re the much better team with much better players all over the park. You don’t set out to counter these teams, you set out to dominate them and run them over.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
If we were planning to sit back and counter West Ham, and not impose ourselves on them with the players we’ve got, then that’s unacceptable tbh. We’re the much better team with much better players all over the park. You don’t set out to counter these teams, you set out to dominate them and run them over.
West ham are 5th and have been in thr top 4 this season.

This arrogance that we are better is why we were 3 goals down.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Al doesn't know ball, we all know this.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
You can see he's still such an inexperienced manager with some of the decisions he makes. Really overthinks things, which you can't really criticise him too much for considering the stage of his coaching career he is at. We've seen it with formations/selections/subs/tempo/etc. That will come with experience though I suspect and the second half shows that when he gets it right we can play some great stuff.

The problem for me, which I felt at the time he was appointed, is that a club like Arsenal shouldn't be used as a developing ground for a young coach. That's basically admitting we are a small club, as if he turns out to be really special in 2-3 years time he'll be off like a shot to the likes of City or Barca. In the meantime though he's being allowed to work on his flaws, often at our expense, so I doubt we'll ever see the finished article whether he's a success for us or not.

I'll be ectastic if he delivers us the Europa but he's put a lot of pressure on himself to deliver it now with our league position, which shouldn't be ignored. Let's see what happens. Perhaps he can use the remaining games in the league to experiment with some of the lesser used players.

Last edited:

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
I hope we can play like city mid 3 vs non big teams
Make partey lone dm and play rodri/Fernadinho role and start both esr and ødegaard in front of him.

Iceman10

Established Member
The problem for me, which I felt at the time he was appointed, is that a club like Arsenal shouldn't be used as a developing ground for a young coach. That's basically admitting we are a small club, as if he turns out to be really special in 2-3 years time he'll be off like a shot to the likes of City or Barca. In meantime though he's being allowed to work on his flaws, often at our expense, so I doubt we'll ever see the finished article whether he's a success for us or not.

This issue of course is more with club ownership. Have said a few times it was obvious when Ancelotti was available and we went nowhere near him. The owners will always tend towards a manager they will see as happy to have the job and compliant with whatever restraints they apply. They don’t want to risk an ego clash thing with a big name manager who might dare having fans on their side for leverage to push the board/owners outside their comfort zone. Even with Unai Emery the selection was someone who would just be happy to be Arsenal manager, compliant within a setup where there was little say on transfers, even though that setup failed.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
It was only for part of the first half. Seems we knew they were going to come out guns a blazin' and wear themselves down. By mid second half Antonio and Lingaard were just walking around while defending. Think we were playin' the long game today, especially with how tired a lot of our main players have been in recent matches.

Regardless, the players we had out there should've won us this match though. Whether we played any of the others on the bench.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
This issue of course is more with club ownership. Have said a few times it was obvious when Ancelotti was available and we went nowhere near him. The owners will always tend towards a manager they will see as happy to have the job and compliant with whatever restraints they apply. They don’t want to risk an ego clash thing with a big name manager who might dare having fans on their side for leverage to push the board/owners outside their comfort zone. Even with Unai Emery the selection was someone who would just be happy to be Arsenal manager, compliant within a setup where there was little say on transfers, even though that setup failed.
Of course, I'm not blaming Mikel for the board's decisions at all. You can tell he's learning on the job. I just feel a club like Arsenal shouldn't have that happening but that's the decision the board have made and we'll just have to see what happens.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Poundland Jose. Never his tactics, always the players' fault

The tactics / personnel are on Arteta and I hold him ultimately responsible for the fact we didn't win.

But how many of our players turned their backs on the quick free kick for West Ham's goal? That's stuff you learn not to do in school boy football. It's embarrassing to be honest and Arteta has a right to be annoyed about goals like that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
West ham are 5th and have been in thr top 4 this season.

This arrogance that we are better is why we were 3 goals down.
Arrogance is not the reason we were 3-0 down. We have better players in just about every position on the park.

Dont tell me West Ham are the better side and we should be setting out to counter and nick a result with the players we’ve got. That’s not arrogance, that’s merely acknowledging that you are a bigger club and have better players.

GunnerShy

Thought it was stupid to start Saka today. Coming back from an injury into the international break with poor form was all downside with limited upside.

Has he learnt from the Partey Sp**s debacle or not??

Iceman10

Established Member
But how many of our players turned their backs on the quick free kick for West Ham's goal? That's stuff you learn not to do in school boy football. It's embarrassing to be honest and Arteta has a right to be annoyed about goals like that.

I don’t separate the manager from this. I am committed to getting defence and spine right first and culture overall right also within the club, and some buy-in with Arteta is to focus on those basics and foundations also, so when they fail even after all this time with these issues it is worse in Mikel’s case. I give slack on the attacking end a bit more because I want the fundamentals sorted out first. I consider this issue under “fundamentals”.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom