• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Makingtrax 2055: "We must resurrect Wenger and bring him back to the club!"
IstraBalagna 2055: 'Newcastle again ffs, we haven't won the league since 2004. Can't believe I was p!ssed with Arsène for only winning 3 EPL titles and 7 FA Cups. And the abuse he got, Jesus. Realise now I knew nothing about football in those days.' :lol:

I'll get over it when we're back to where we were, when I look forward to going to the Emirates to watch flare football, enjoy the witty pressers, relish the Champions League matches on a Wednesday night. Who gives a **** if we lose 5-1 to Bayern in the last 16, we're
Everyone else wants that. But the again, you can't blame us for patiently waiting Champions league he promised us in three years!

vantoure

I actually partly think they relish being in what feels to me as a dogfight and doing their part in supporting their team. It's partly how I feel. Yes, we are a stodgy watch often but we/I support Arsenal and that to me is most of the fun! I started supporting Arsenal because of Wenger and his football, but that boat has sailed now and I will remain an Arsenal supporter. Just like I support the Denver Broncos, Hannover 96 and Djurgårdens IF. That is the way it is!
This caught my attention for some reason.

I can understand standing by the team/club due to circumstances beyond it's control, it found itself in this dogfight. My problem is that there's a double-faced issue here, the hands of the club have not be forced to make it become poor on the pitch, rather, it chose this way by hiring and sticking with a rookie manager.

It then becomes doubly annoying that gradually the expectations have been lowered to this level such that any upward trajectory by the manager (even draws against mid-table teams) becomes a win for those that backed the manager from the off without any evidence of his abilities.

For the records:
- Wenger was criticized and then hounded out because he didn't win the league for a long time (while consistently delivering beautiful football and UCL) even in the face of obvious financial / operating constraints
- Emery (not a fan of his) was criticized finishing 5th and losing the Europa, and eventually sacked when he was hanging around 8th - 10th. Don't remember the exact position.
- Yet Arteta is building the club when he's performed worse and has been backed.

It's the double standard that grates, and I really can't understand it.

So the club did not find itself in a dog fight because it's hands were forced - bankruptcy, unforeseen disaster, etc. It mismanaged a good situation and has gradually and consistently dropped its standards such that expectations are unprecedently low (using Arteta-speak)

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

When you are sick you should stay home and rest, not play football. Its a bit of a worry that Arteta doesnt know this.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Got to put this comparing Emery, Arteta or whoever will manage us in the future to Arsène to bed. We'll never be happy if we do that.
Man United fans won't see a better manager than Fergie in their lifetimes. We won't see a better or even equal manager to Arsène in ours, just got to accept it.

There's nothing unexplainable or particularly odd about what happened to Arsène. A lot of Arsenal fans grew frustrated at the club stagnating onfield at a level they felt was unacceptable at the time. They felt the club should be pushing on. After 20+ years they wanted a change. That's human nature.

To say that Arsène got treated unfairly, therefore every subsequent Arsenal manager should be treated to the same level that they claim was unfair to Arsène is so silly. In fact is just being spiteful.

There were plenty of justifiable reasons to criticize and want Unai to be sacked, there are plenty of justifiable reasons to criticize and want Mikel to be sacked. Not being Arsène calibre isn't one though.

To use Arsène as the benchmark for success or failure for Unai, Arteta or any other future manager is ludicrous. By that logic we've have had one other acceptable manager in our whole history, Herbert Chapman.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People need to understand where @Makingtrax is coming from. I don’t think I’ve seen a poster get more abuse than him just for standing up for Arsène and not throwing him under the bus because of Arsenal’s limitations.

Now Wenger is gone and it’s just been awful the majority of the time and now people are making 101 excuses for Arteta and Arsène never got cut the same slack even though he was performing way better.

It’s like a mix of a cathartic feeling mixed with disbelief at people being ok with this.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
One thing that I will give Arteta a little bit of credit for is I like the squad make up more now than when he took over. You can kind of see what he's trying to build with the squad. Whether he can execute that properly is another matter.

Obviously Arteta doesn't deserve all the credit for recent signing, I'm sure plenty of other people were involved and of course we've had to pay some deadwood off and there have been a few heinous signings such as Willian and puffin too
, which hang around Mikel's neck.

Whether it's Mikel or the next manager who gets the best out of it, I'm pretty content with the squad. It's not perfect and there's definitely room for improvement in certain positions but it's pretty good.

What do you think he is trying to build? I still think there are really mixed signals. On the positive side, I think you can now see what he wants from the defence. A proactive keeper that's good on the ball, two dynamic CBs and one defensive fullback and one offensive one. But hoe does that tie in with the rest of the team?

What's the plan with the midfield/attack? Is the plan 433 or 4231? He's said in the past he wants a 433, and has played that a few times, but we have no one in the squad that can play the number 8 positions.

Also offensively, we never play the ball I'm behind quickly to turn the oppostions defenders, yet he persists with Auba as a 9. I'm not fan of his, but if you want you're 9 constantly with his back to goal linking play, surely Lacazette would be a better option?

If you look at Klopp at Liverpool, you could tell straight away what he wanted to do with the team, from the way they played, to their first few big signings (Mane/Wijnaldum).

IstraBalagina

IstraBalagna 2055: 'Newcastle again ffs, we haven't won the league since 2004. Can't believe I was p!ssed with Arsène for only winning 3 EPL titles and 7 FA Cups. And the abuse he got, Jesus. Realise now I knew nothing about football in those days.' :lol:
Wenger haven't won the league since 2004 🤣 , never won the UCL 😂
Kept making excuses after excuses, while protecting the board and the owners like a good puppet.

But I'll tell you what I actually admire Wenger but a time comes when you have to say enough is enough.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Decent statistic.

The football is still dreary on the whole however, so its key that we improve in our overall game play as well.

It is a decent stat in favour of Arteta tbh, but I think it was @Trilly (?) who said he's of the opinion coaching a defence is harder than coaching an attack, and I'm of the opposite opinion. I think it is far harder to coach an attack that can consistently create chances and score goals against almost any opposition.

Consolidating the defence to concede less is something almost any coach can do, bluntly said it's what any halfwit firefighter manager does when he comes in charged with rescuing a team from relegation.

Looking at the way Arsenal play under Arteta I can see the team being fairly decent defensively on a consistent basis, but I just can't see anything to suggest we'll see a consistently performing attack.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
Got to put this comparing Emery, Arteta or whoever will manage us in the future to Arsène to bed. We'll never be happy if we do that.
Man United fans won't see a better manager than Fergie in their lifetimes. We won't see a better or even equal manager to Arsène in ours, just got to accept it.

There's nothing unexplainable or particularly odd about what happened to Arsène. A lot of Arsenal fans grew frustrated at the club stagnating onfield at a level they felt was unacceptable at the time. They felt the club should be pushing on. After 20+ years they wanted a change. That's human nature.

To say that Arsène got treated unfairly, therefore every subsequent Arsenal manager should be treated to the same level that they claim was unfair to Arsène is so silly. In fact is just being spiteful.

There were plenty of justifiable reasons to criticize and want Unai to be sacked, there are plenty of justifiable reasons to criticize and want Mikel to be sacked. Not being Arsène calibre isn't one though.

To use Arsène as the benchmark for success or failure for Unai, Arteta or any other future manager is ludicrous. By that logic we've have had one other acceptable manager in our whole history, Herbert Chapman.

I don't see why we should ever be happy; even if we win the league under Arteta then it should be his job to ask how he can make us even better and achieve even more for us. Cause if he doesn't then it's only a matter of time before he gets sacked in disgrace. If we are a big club then there should be no limit to our ambition, and we should absolutely be searching for a manager that makes Wenger look like nothing. The club doesn't deserve to exist if it doesn't have the ambitions to reach the top and stay on the top.

Moah

I don't see why we should ever be happy

Hd Pursed Lips GIF

2020 he said he'd win the CL in 3 years. He should learn to qualify for the Europa Conference before making that boast. :lol:
Why buy a Toyota Corolla in a year when you can save the resources and afford a Lamborghini Aventador in three years:cool::lol:

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom