• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
The football is atrocious, and we were arguably very lucky to finish where we did last season under context, but I can't blame the West Ham fan at all for supporting the process. For him, it means one rival less.

You lot don't like them, but at least the United fans around here are more honest. They could hugely benefit too from selling us the Arteta is improvement fairytale, but they prefer to tell things as they are. It's a matter of principles.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The fact that I pop in here after not posting a single thing about Arteta in over a month and you respond with that **** pretty much underlines that point.
Well that’s exactly my point, I don’t see you post unless it’s to defend Mikel. :lol:

But to be clear, I don't think the current version of Arteta is good enough to be the long term solution, but I think I just put more weight on his lack of experience than many on here and see that as room to grow and learn from his mistakes. The football needs to become good to watch as a bare minimum, starting next season. I can understand patience is running thin for some people - the lack of emotional investment I have in Arsenal probably helps me be more patient in that aspect.
Interestingly I don’t disagree with any of this. In fact the bold is pretty much my entire bag.

The difference between us is you provide what I call excuses and you’re hopeful that he will improve. I’m a lot more cynical and I don’t think improvement is guaranteed, even if it is, how soon will it come?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Didn’t Arteta say he was going to win the CL in his third full year. How’s he going to do that when he can’t even qualify for the competition. There’s a lot of gullible fans trusting his process.
It’s what frustrates me the most. He failed his own objective so badly yet he has just as much respect/optimism as when he first started.

Last season wasn’t bad enough to be sacked if we’re being 100% fair but what I hate is how there are zero question marks around his competence. There are already people preparing excuses for next season!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s what frustrates me the most. He failed his own objective so badly yet he has just as much respect/optimism as when he first started.

Last season wasn’t bad enough to be sacked if we’re being 100% fair but what I hate is how there are zero question marks around his competence. There are already people preparing excuses for next season!
It’s like you said though, if we spend another sh!t load of cash again this summer even an average manager could stumble into the top 4 at the 4th attempt with this type of spend.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Really surprised there aren’t supporters from other clubs coming in here to persuade us to keep Arteta. :lol:

Why make your voice heard on a forum when you can do it on matchday.

Keep a lookout for Tets-loving banners in opposition stands aloft with such positive messages such as "Trust the process" or "Mikel's reset the culture!" and then there's my favourite "I can see the future it's so bright" :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Kid, I'm sure you know that children like you are best seen and not heard. Why else do you think your parents told you to stay in your room until school starts back up.

That had nothing to do with decorum & all to do with him looking like the Elephant Man's spawn.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

This is why I'm enjoying our transfer business so far. We may be able to rely on the players to get top 4 in spite of him. I'll "happily" sell all the surplus players too so that we have a good squad of 25 that he's endorsed. No players causing trouble, taking up a squad place or dividing fan opinion. Nothing for him to hide behind and I'll enjoy this new process for now :lol:. #NoExcuses

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It’s like you said though, if we spend another sh!t load of cash again this summer even an average manager could stumble into the top 4 at the 4th attempt with this type of spend.
Careful friend. There's been a lot of talk about how anyone could do better than Wenger that aged badly. Don't underestimate how this good looking squad could be processed into another 5th place finish.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Well that’s exactly my point, I don’t see you post unless it’s to defend Mikel. :lol:

Perhaps that says more about your fixation on this thread rather than my assumed obsession with Mikel? ;)

Interestingly I don’t disagree with any of this. In fact the bold is pretty much my entire bag.

The difference between us is you provide what I call excuses and you’re hopeful that he will improve. I’m a lot more cynical and I don’t think improvement is guaranteed, even if it is, how soon will it come?

I don't think improvement is guaranteed either, but I guess I'm more inclined to give additional time to a manager in his first job, especially given the situation he was hired into. He was always going to be prone to mistakes, and given it's his first job he has a lot to learn. Maybe a lot of the frustration towards him isn't actually aimed at him, but rather frustration towards the board who decided to hire a complete unknown quantity on the promise of him developing as a manager?

In many ways his appointment is extremely atypical and the usual timelines of how a manager is supposed to perform is all messed up because of it. If this was Emery, he'd be sacked by now, but he wasn't hired to deliver instant success but rather on the hopes of him developing into a top class manager. I understand why some fans are extremely frustrated. I'm not even sure I can find many parallels in football like this situation where a young unproven manager gets his first job at a massive club and given way more leeway than your typical managerial appointment.

The only thing I really object to is the idea that top 4 is a minimum for success. I think that's simply unrealistic when you consider your current stature in game, and I'd make that point regardless of who the manager was. You're likely not going to get consistent top 4 until you either hire a Klopp-level manager or get new ownership. Until then, it'll be a rotating chair between you, Sp**s and Newcastle, all 3 just waiting on one of the other 4 to slip up like Man Utd did this season. Given more time, top 4 will probably be even further away once Newcastle really start throwing the slave dollars around. The people saying top 4 is a minimum are quite frankly living in 2012.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The football is atrocious, and we were arguably very lucky to finish where we did last season under context, but I can't blame the West Ham fan at all for supporting the process. For him, it means one rival less.

You lot don't like them, but at least the United fans around here are more honest. They could hugely benefit too from selling us the Arteta is improvement fairytale, but they prefer to tell things as they are. It's a matter of principles.

Mate I've been on this forum since 2010, I'd like to think my history on here shows I'm not just winding people up. It's fine to disagree with me, but there's no reason to act like a **** and accuse me of lying.

There used to be a lot of decent discussion on here, but it seems like there's been a sharp downturn over the last couple of years. Effort posts are mocked and half the posters seem to put more stock in making personal attacks instead of debating football.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Didn’t Arteta say he was going to win the CL in his third full year. How’s he going to do that when he can’t even qualify for the competition. There’s a lot of gullible fans trusting his process.

Arteta didn’t say this, Willian did.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Perhaps that says more about your fixation on this thread rather than my assumed obsession with Mikel? ;)
Let’s just put it down to coincidence then, I’ll be watching though 👀
I understand why some fans are extremely frustrated. I'm not even sure I can find many parallels in football like this situation where a young unproven manager gets his first job at a massive club and given way more leeway than your typical managerial appointment.
Basically this. The worst part is that we aren’t given the excused you’d expect such as ‘he’s learning on the job’ or ‘he’s bound to make mistakes’. He’s usually just absolved of all blame and various things are used as an excuse. A reasonable person can begrudgingly accept something along the lines of ‘look he’s learning but he’s not going anywhere’ but instead we are basically told ‘he’s the next Pep and the problems lie elsewhere’
The only thing I really object to is the idea that top 4 is a minimum for success. I think that's simply unrealistic when you consider your current stature in game, and I'd make that point regardless of who the manager was. You're likely not going to get consistent top 4 until you either hire a Klopp-level manager or get new ownership. Until then, it'll be a rotating chair between you, Sp**s and Newcastle, all 3 just waiting on one of the other 4 to slip up like Man Utd did this season. Given more time, top 4 will probably be even further away once Newcastle really start throwing the slave dollars around. The people saying top 4 is a minimum are quite frankly living in 2012.
Both things can be correct. I think top four is a minimum because it’s our turn on the rotating chair. Let’s assume Chelsea are clear (they’re not as we saw this season) that leaves one spot between us, United and Sp**s. United need a rebuild, which leaves a straight shootout between us and a pretty meh Tottenham. If Arteta is a good manager then he should prove to be the difference.

4th as a minimum is unrealistic every year but 4th next season is a very fair expectation for a guy considered to be the next coming of God by most of his fans.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom