• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We wouldn't have to go that far back, I'm sure it was chaos when the club finished 8th with Willian giving up on the project, late from Dubai and etc.
It was always going to be all kinds of chaos when he first arrived and then begun trying to implement his plan/vision. My point was that it’s very calm and clear now, and people have a lot to say about the documentary and how badly certain things were dealt with etc, despite order being restored and everything working out relatively fine. And then I’m comparing that to a very different period under a legendary manager and wondering what degree of chaos we’d have seen with a very different and unquestionably more difficult group to deal with, under even more pressure. This would have been a tea party compared to the car crash that would have shown. It would have been brutal

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
After seeing what happened with Emery no wonder Arteta took such a strong line, he saw players who were half ars*ng it during matches never mind training. Whatever you can say about Arteta's team now during a match everyone puts in a shift, I imagine nearly everyone puts in a shift in training as well.
If the supposed búms we had under Emery could half arse it and finish on 70 points and reach a European final, but Micky's team of hard workers can't even match that, then what does that say about the latter?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Going from what people think that period was, probably the dressing room wouldn't have fights, just players crying and then comforting themselves doing balloons

Gave us better football than what this stickler is giving us
I think it would have had literally everything! Violence, tears, cliques… huge unrest. As for the football, it really wasn’t better than what we are seeing now. That finished about two years before. There’s not a great deal of difference, it was patchy at best towards the end of Wenger’s tenure. Anyway that’s another discussion

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Just seen another clip of him going nuts in the dressing room, swearing and losing his voice. It doesn’t really suit him from where I sit but the players see his highs and lows on a daily so it may be slightly easier viewing for them compared to us. That was hard 🤦🏼‍♂️

And all this really reminds me of is that the way these people work is worlds away from anything we know or have experienced, and on the occasions you do get the see the behind the curtain, it does literally appear to be a show. Eavesdropping on a bunch of people that have never really known financial hardship or have been looked after by rich football clubs since their balls dropped, always looks odd. Mikel doesn’t look like he’s got genuine rage in him. I think a minor drinking problem will probably make him a better manager.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Hard to say now as they are all his very expensive babies. Hard to throw your own child under the bus.
He'd throw anybody under a bus that get's in his way. Tavares will tell you that.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Can you imagine if Wenger did one of these the season we finished runners up or 6th, with the players and personalities he had back then? One thing we’ve got now that we didn’t have back then I strongly suspect, was a united dressing room. I bet it was pure carnage compared to this, not that I’ve seen much of this or plan to.
Wenger's dead to Arsenal, the fans finished him off. Is your hate still so strong, you feel the need to keep going back and give the body one last kick? What did he ever do for you, apart from give you 3 titles, 7 FA Cup wins and some beautiful football.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

After seeing what happened with Emery no wonder Arteta took such a strong line, he saw players who were half ars*ng it during matches never mind training. Whatever you can say about Arteta's team now during a match everyone puts in a shift, I imagine nearly everyone puts in a shift in training as well.

Lets think back and remember how many people gave out about Wenger's relaxed attitude towards players, how many applauded Ferguson for his no nonsense management style, yet some of the same people are criticising Arteta for being tough on players.

I dont think theres a manager at the top level who isnt tough on players right now. Maybe Ancelotti but Madrid is a different kettle of fish, its more about managing and massaging the egos to get a performance.
Strange though, Arteta's having to spend the most of any team in Europe and took his 3rd season to get back to what Unai acheived with players arsing about in one season. Very odd.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wenger's dead to Arsenal, the fans finished him off. Is your hate still so strong, you feel the need to keep going back and give the body one last kick? What did he ever do for you, apart from give you 3 titles, 7 FA Cup wins and some beautiful football.
What prompted this? 🤣

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

What prompted this? 🤣
Can you imagine if Wenger did one of these the season we finished runners up or 6th, with the players and personalities he had back then? One thing we’ve got now that we didn’t have back then I strongly suspect, was a united dressing room. I bet it was pure carnage compared to this, not that I’ve seen much of this or plan to.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
@Makingtrax And you took that as a swipe at Wenger? Comparing this documentary to one if it had been made during Wenger’s last days? You ****ing psycho 😀

Arsenal4life14

If you drive a Ferrari you put premium fuel in the tank, you drive onto the motorway and you floor the accelerator. Tata filled up with diesel and went for a spin in the countryside. If that’s what he wanted, he should have bought himself a Fiat from the start.
I'm not disregarding the fact that Arteta made Auba Captain, I'm simply saying the blame goes both ways. This isn't just an Arteta blame game. If you think it's an OK thing for a Captain to turn up late on multiple occasions and get away with it what sort of culture do you want at the club?

Arteta and the club were well within their rights to turn Aubas request down to visit his family in the first place and for him then to come back a day later than he was supposed to just screams he didn't give a **** unless he had a valid reason for coming back late which Arteta clearly didn't think so.

I'm not even a massive fan of Arteta to be honest but on this particular subject Auba has to take some of the blame too.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
@Makingtrax Weird how you are the only one moaning about spending the most money, 24/7 on Mikel's thread.

Can't believe you missed how City, Chelsea, Utd already have spent a lot to have their 11 A players, reason why they don't have to splash the cash like us who had to clean up a squad, filled with street gangsters puffing balloons, that were about to end 15th had Emery not been sacked.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

@Makingtrax And you took that as a swipe at Wenger? Comparing this documentary to one if it had been made during Wenger’s last days? You ****ing psycho 😀
You can't help yourself, I realise that. Since he went you've been like a drink starved alcoholic staring at the space where the gin bottles used to be.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

@Makingtrax Weird how you are the only one moaning about spending the most money, 24/7 on Mikel's thread.

Can't believe you missed how City, Chelsea, Utd already have spent a lot to have their 11 A players, reason why they don't have to splash the cash like us who had to clean up a squad, filled with street gangsters puffing balloons, that were about to end 15th had Emery not been sacked.
I'm not moaning about spending the most in Europe. The opposite in fact. With this guy in charge it's the only way we'll get back into the top 4. Josh knows.

Slug457

You also speculated the dressing room would have been chaotic during the season we finished 2nd tbf, not really Wengers last days. You don't finish 2nd in a league as tough as the PL, with your best midfielder out early without a totally united dressing room. All the players had a total respect for the manager and were clearly on friendly terms. The 6th season i've got no doubt there was chaos, by then the stadiums were half empty, certain players clearly knew they could jog about and receive no backlash as it was all on the manager and with Wengers powers stripped players had been signed whom he didn't want. Perhaps Weng being too nice and too trusting with his players was a problem here, as some of them in the 6th season deserved the "Auba treatment" in my view.

Your claim the football was the same in Wengs last two years as now is questionable, clearly Tets/Wengs philosophy is very different, although there was a clear decline from the pure "Wengerball" we still got 74 goals 2016/17, second most chances created in his final season. But Tets style got us 5th last season with more points than Wengers final. End of the day points/position is what matters, i'm not going to grumble if we finish 2nd or 3rd this season not scoring as many as we once did.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
The shock is that despite the dossier stuff the club really had nothing of actual interest on him. Mikel had his private death note, but it seemed everyone else at the club were scratching their head about why arriving late after visiting your mother meant exile.

We got an entire episode on the club side, all we got was Arteta waffling about how one look at Auba's eyes broke his non negotiables, and Edu admitting he's incapable of selling a world class player that half a season later Chelsea seems interested on buying.

They tried to paint this story about the manager "having balls" and a player being too much trouble for the club that he had to be forced to move on, but the material to persuade us of that view just wasn't remotely there.
What also surprised me was when they were discussing the options of what to do, only a loand an a termination of contract were discussed.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Squad filled with gangsters puffing balloons that were about to end 15th :lol:

Not only brilliant communicator and world class coach, a street worker too now

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom