• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
He was not given that because the decision makers never felt he could do that?
I wondered about this but I think the answers came out in the recent Raul interview. Raul talks about moving Arsenal to his preferred club management system where the manager is only a coach who focuses upon day to day team management/results. Not the club's mid to longer term strategy, which I guess recruitment falls under. When Raul was sacked and Arteta won the FA cup, Arsenal decided to scrap this and enable Arteta to find his way back into a more Wenger manager role. Raul thinks Arsenal are wrong for scrapping his system :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Personally I much prefer the Manager role to Head Coach.

I know things can't go back to the days of Wenger where he'd manage basically the whole club beyond the onfield stuff but Arteta has a clearly defined role, he's one of the major decision maker and power wielder. So if he fails or succeeds you can put his performance pretty squarely on him, though there are others involved too tbf.

Someone like Emery ( who I never thought was a great fit for the club tbh) you can't really say that about. He was pretty clearly a junior partner when it came to a lot of decision making, including transfers etc. It's hard to say he got a fair shake of the stick in the regime he was under.

Ideally I'd want the least amount of people involved in making major decisions. Too many cooks can spoil the broth and you can get to a point where no-one really takes responsibility or the flack when major decisions go awry.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What's even the argument?

@SA Gunner that 07/08 team was far better than this current one in terms of performance imo.

That team was a chance creation machine. The way we'd just easily carve teams open, it was just a joy to watch. As good as fergie was at the time, his 07/08 team always tended to depend on individual brilliance, even that stacked Chelsea team too.

But we were just the better team overall. If we had little bit more money, we'd have strolled to the title.

Wenger literally performed a miracle that season. That team had no right to go toe to toe with the greatest united team of all time that season. Money was tight then. We couldn't bring in more depth and we had to sell to buy.

If we'd even spent a third of united or Chelsea then, we'd have walked the title imo.

The 07/08 and 05/06 seasons are my best seasons as an Arsenal fan.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
What's even the argument?

@SA Gunner that 07/08 team was far better than this current one in terms of performance imo.

That team was a chance creation machine. The way we'd just easily carve teams open, it was just a joy to watch. As good as fergie was at the time, his 07/08 team always tended to depend on individual brilliance, even that stacked Chelsea team too.

But we were just the better team overall. If we had little bit more money, we'd have strolled to the title.

Wenger literally performed a miracle that season. That team had no right to go toe to toe with the greatest united team of all time that season. Money was tight then. We couldn't bring in more depth and we had to sell to buy.

If we'd even spent a third of united or Chelsea then, we'd have walked the title imo.

The 07/08 and 05/06 seasons are my best seasons as an Arsenal fan.
Ffs, he’s saying he thinks this team “has more potential” - not that “it is performing better”. Not sure I agree with him but it’s hardly an outrageous statement. It’s a close run thing imo, largely because this current team is so young and I’m not sure where the ceiling is for some of them.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ffs, he’s saying he thinks this team “has more potential” - not that “it is performing better”. Not sure I agree with him but it’s hardly an outrageous statement. It’s a close run thing imo, largely because this current team is so young and I’m not sure where the ceiling is for some of them.
I don't agree with him either on the "potential" thing.

That team had around the same average age as this one but was performing at a higher level. You didn't see age being used an excuse then, you didn't even hear the world "potential" being used.

When we fell away at the end, all the blame was lumped at wenger's feet.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

That team had around the same average age as this one but was performing at a higher level. You didn't see age being used an excuse then, you didn't even hear the world "potential" being used.

A lot of those players in Wenger's early Emirates teams went on to be champions some point down the line, or atleast had spells in top top teams like Ade's case. With all due respect I don't quite see that with a lot of these guys bar the obvious one or two.

Just an opinion ofcourse, who knows.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Yup thats a pretty fair rebuttal. It’s easy to forget how young that team was tbh coz in my head I think of them as their older selves

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

A lot of those players in Wenger's early Emirates teams went on to be champions some point down the line, or atleast had spells in top top teams like Ade's case. With all due respect I don't quite see that with a lot of these guys bar the obvious one or two.

Basically you’re the swipe left to @SA Gunner ‘s swipe right. The yin to his yang. Etc.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Basically you’re the swipe left to @SA Gunner ‘s swipe right. The yin to his yang. Etc.

Nah there are posters who say the opposite of everything I say, I wouldn't say SA is it. I'd say before his conviction on Arteta became more established we'd agree on a fair bit.

That 20 year take was brazen anyways, if people are really honest even the staunchest Arteta backers would probably question that one.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Nah there are posters who say the opposite of everything I say, I wouldn't say SA is it. I'd say before his conviction on Arteta became more established we'd agree on a fair bit.
Hah, na I just mean I think he’s consciously choosing to be optimistic about this current team. Most people here are either pessimistic but hope to be proven wrong and some are cautiously optimistic. I’m in the latter, I think you’re in the former. @SA Gunner is full on unbridled optimism and power to him. He’s opened his heart out to love. I just hope it doesn’t get shat on.

I have much more time for his optimism than some of the weirdos on here that are pessimistic and hope to be proven right. Yeah that’s right you know who you are, I’m not giving you the satisfaction of a tag. Go see a therapist…

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Just as an aside, I read last week that Ashley Cole won more league titles at Arsenal than he did at Chelsea and my mind was blown. The media would have you believe that the reverse was true.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Hah, na I just mean I think he’s consciously choosing to be optimistic about this current team. Most people here are either pessimistic but hope to be proven wrong and some are cautiously optimistic. I’m in the latter, I think you’re in the former. @SA Gunner is full on unbridled optimism and power to him. He’s opened his heart out to love. I just hope it doesn’t get shat on.

I was jaded before Arteta even became a player at the club, let alone everything that's happened since. What a lot of my haters don't get is I wasn't always an Arteta doubter either, I was neutral, then really positive after the FA Cup win, but things happen and things change.

If SA or anyone conveyed their point without abuse then I agree with you, he shouldn't get shat on.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Compare this team with 2007/08 and it falls short imo.

Give me 2008 Adebayor, Van Persie, Fabregas, Sagna, Kolo, Clichy and Hleb over their equivalents.

I guess I’d take Ramsdale, Saliba, Saka and Partey over Almunia, ****, Eboue and Flamini (but only just).

Back ups of Eduardo, Rosicky, young Diaby and Song are probably better than what we have as well.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

I have much more time for his optimism than some of the weirdos on here that are pessimistic and hope to be proven right. Yeah that’s right you know who you are, I’m not giving you the satisfaction of a tag. Go see a therapist…

This is not blind optimism on my part mate. I’ve seen enough to make the bold call that I’ve made. I have been positive about the Arteta project for about a year now, I’ll admit. But it can’t be so just for the sake of it.

If I’m wrong, I’ll hold up my hands and admit it. I don’t think I’ll be though.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

This is not blind optimism on my part mate. I’ve seen enough to make the bold call that I’ve made. I have been positive about the Arteta project for about a year now, I’ll admit. But it can’t be so just for the sake of it.

Never said blind bro. I said unbridled…

BIoodBrother

You must then hold your hands up (and maybe did) on last seasons last 10games or so when you claimed it wouldn't even be a contest for top4 and you clearly didn't see that slump coming which occured already with Partey (admittedly without Tierney) vs CPL and then without vs Brighton and Soton. Also you seemed sure that Sp**s would get about 10points less than what they actually got and that surprised me because they had already started scoring many goals again.
In the end I believe we got what we deserved from the season and I do believe we are much better now. But we have many more games as well and will suffer from that come winter/spring.
I believe that we might struggle to get top4 again because of inexperience, injuries and lacking grid.
Jesus, Partey and Xhaka are our most calm and experienced players and if one of them is out for a longer spell, we'll struggle on the mental side of the game.
Tierney and Tomiyasu were also crucial to our stability and I hope they will reclaim their places and make us a clutch team.
Monreal and Sagna were players that had a similar mentality. I am more wary of Zinchenko and White in that regard and although I like them both as long everything goes well and when we play teams that need carving open.
Vs Sp**s we will have more chances and a lot of possession but it's how you act in crucial moments what decides these games, so I would start with the former two but no doubt Arteta wants to impose his style and play with the other ones. This is maybe my only critique of Arteta atm and it reminds me a bit of Wenger losing out to SAF and Mourinho in top4 games more often than not.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Compare this team with 2007/08 and it falls short imo.

Give me 2008 Adebayor, Van Persie, Fabregas, Sagna, Kolo, Clichy and Hleb over their equivalents.

I guess I’d take Ramsdale, Saliba, Saka and Partey over Almunia, ****, Eboue and Flamini (but only just).

Back ups of Eduardo, Rosicky, young Diaby and Song are probably better than what we have as well.

It's more of a style thing, give Wenger this squad and they would play a lot more interesting football than what we see right now

Statistically we look like chance creation beasts but the eye isn't really fooled, why would it be. Things like the chances Jesus creates singlehandedly are sometimes mentioned here as if they were super easy 1v1 when they're nothing but half chances, back then they were barely mentioned because relative to the quality of other chances created they just didn't stand out.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom