• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

More on Yaya and Arsenal.

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 928
A

Anonymous

I posted something similar to this the other day in the Toure post which has since been lost, so i dont know if anyone read it, but i found it interesting, so ill post it again.

Im reading a book called 'The Glorious Game - Arsène Wenger, Arsenal and the Quest for success.'

The night before the news broke about Yaya i read in the book about our involvement with Beveren. In it Wenger is quoated as saying on Yaya "he is still young but has true potential. I see him as a future great player for Arsenal." This made me sure that we would sign him and that he would be a quality player. The next day hearing the news was both wierd and disappointing.

The quote though, does make it clear that Wenger rates him highly and he will end up with us one day.

The book goes on to say that we have the partnership with Beveren because of the "talented African boys" (Liam Brady) and Wengers "preference for pace, power and youth."
Brady says the Africans go to belgium to gain a passport, and then if good enough join Arsenal, who have first option on every player.

The Kolo Toure situation is explained as "Without established international status, players from outside the EC find it hard to obtain the necessary work permit to join English clubs, although new test cases may give Bosman freedom of movement to any countires with only the most flimsy of EC connections. Thus Kolo Toure was able to join Arsenal directly form his African club whilst his 19 year old younger brother Yaya is at Beveren untill either he has as international record of his own or has served the necessary time to qualify for a Belgium passport."

I guess Yaya was turning into too good of a player for Beveren to allow to go to us for free, so had to take the money whilst they could.

Adam

Established Member
Thanks for the info Sol, highly interesting.

Beveren HAD to sell to get a license to play in the Belgian first division next year (Jupiler League) and in order to get one a team has to have stable finances.

Valleyman

So I guess Arsenal-Mania's exclusive story about YaYa Toure has been beefed up even more by Arsène's quotes. Good stuff

A

Anonymous

Btw i highly recommend this book. It is by Alex Fynn and Kevin Whitcher.
It has loads of interesting information on Wengers time at the club and the methods he has used to change it into what it is today.

lewdikris

Established Member
Apparently, he's not even gone to Shakhtar Donetsk, but to Metalurg Donetsk, of whom my only knowledge is that they were the worst team on FiFA 98. He'll be ours soon enough:

BRUSSELS, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Yaya Toure, the brother of Arsenal defender Kolo Toure, has joined Ukraine's Metalurg Donetsk from Beveren, the Belgian club said on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old midfielder from the Ivory Coast has signed a four-year contract with Metalurg in a deal worth 2.1 million euros.

Mark

Established Member
we will probably sign him once he can get a work permit. he's still playing in europe, once he plays there long enough and plays for his national side he can get one right? (sorry if i'm talking rubbish i don't really understand how the work permit thing works)

lewdikris

Established Member
Totally correct. And he'll be safely out of the way at Metalurgs where nobody else is watching. Good for the soul. Still be ours next summer.

Adam

Established Member
Metalurg and Shakhtar have the same president. He'll spend some time at Shakhtar before we may get him.

But Arsenal can expect to buy players off a team like Shakhtar.

RaMi

Also dont shaktar Usually get into Champions League so if he plays there even better experience???

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yaya will be our guy for the future.
It will be like long time ago when we had brothers playing for us(Compton brothers).
Toure brothers great :D

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom