• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He’s played a lot recently. Might just be as simple as that.

I’m glad that someone else played on the RW though, wasn’t Pepe there but still is a position in a front three that really isn’t catered to.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He’s played a lot recently. Might just be as simple as that.

I’m glad that someone else played on the RW though, wasn’t Pepe there but still is a position in a front three that really isn’t catered to.
Playing a couple of games is not a lot.
He is our only true winger and the only player at our club that can beat defenders 1 on 1 for fun. Every time I see him on the bench I can only think there was something going on in the training session that we don't know about, that's the only reasonable explanation.
3 managers and none of them liked him even when they knew we basically have no wingers other than him.
Watching Auba trying to beat his defender is the most painful experience any Arsenal fan will have, and seeing this guy on the bench makes it even worse.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Tbh the league is prettu much over by now. We should be playing Pepe in all PL games until end of season. See if he can pick up form and get ready for next season.
And read/hear you guys complain about him every single match? No thanks

Im glad he didn’t play, forced some of you to take a hard look at some of your favourites who were ineffective today.

And read/hear you guys complain about him every single match? No thanks

Im glad he didn’t play, forced some of you to take a hard look at some of your favourites who were ineffective today.

Pepe is record holder this season being ineffective. But this isnt about us orour complains or what you can handle on here. This is about what is best for Arsenal next season.

He nerds to play and adapt to get ready. Or so manager can take easy decision and sell him in the summer.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He’s won us a couple games this season, so whilst he’s largely been ineffective - he’s defo not record holder.

I’d rather we just sold him the price tag has kinda tainted him.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

For me it just confirmed the problem is the way we are trying to build attacks. We need to have a better plan before we can come to the individuals.

People were criticising Pepe for not making runs behind and not producing enough threat. We played Martinelli in his position today. Who has a striker's instinct so there is no question he would love to make runs behind their defence. Yet he didn't do it once. Why? Because he couldn't. He would receive the ball in our own half or 40 meters from their goal, with 2 or 3 players on his ass. Majority of the game he was positioned too deep, a lot of times tracking back their fullback. The only times he was high up the pitch was when Burnley couldn't win the ball back quickly enough and they dropped back.

Martinelli's ball control let him down today but it was a thankless job.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

He’s won us a couple games this season, so whilst he’s largely been ineffective - he’s defo not record holder.

I’d rather we just sold him the price tag has kinda tainted him.
So two weeks ago, calling him ineffective and an absolute letdown for the price tag made me ignorant? Muppet.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Are people under the illusion that he's playing any differently to his time at Lille? Looking at his actions it's basically like for like from what I can see. Difference is whilst the PL is doggers this season it's still not as bad as Ligue 1.

It's incredibly how much like Gervinho he really is. Looked amazing in France but just moved to England and stayed at that level and thought it would be enough.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Who has a striker's instinct so there is no question he would love to make runs behind their defence. Yet he didn't do it once. Why? Because he couldn't. He would receive the ball in our own half or 40 meters from their goal, with 2 or 3 players on his ass.
Our right wing spot is clearly set up for a playmaking winger (IMO) all the attacking patterns and positional play seems to demonstrate that.

We're looking for the quick switch from the right to the left to free a marauding Saka/Kola or play Auba in behind.

As ineffective as Pepe has been he actually does quite well in that role as he draws a lot of attention. It's not the best use of his talents but it seems to work to an extent.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Are people under the illusion that he's playing any differently to his time at Lille?
Completely different role (and even the most basic of youtube scouting would prove that) so I think the only person under an illusion is you.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Completely different role (and even the most basic of youtube scouting would prove that) so I think the only person under an illusion is you.
I'm saying do people think he's magically going to "gain confidence" and start playing anything like what is expected of him? He's not. Role or not in terms of individual actions/movements this was what he was like at Lille. Difference is you can get away with it in France just like Gervinho did.

If you're going to bring up Youtube highlights then go look at how many of them include him literally dribbling into defenders and getting a lucky bobble that allows him to retain the ball. A lot of his goals are also fairly ****e finishes that are straight at the keeper who then proceeds to inadvertently let in bundle in. These are two traits he's shown with us. They worked for him at Lille, level is a little higher here though so he needs to seriously kick on and not just gain confidence and adapt to the league but actually find levels he's not shown before in his career.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm saying do people think he's magically going to "gain confidence" and start playing anything like what is expected of him? He's not. Role or not in terms of individual actions/movements this was what he was like at Lille. Difference is you can get away with it in France just like Gervinho did.

If you're going to bring up Youtube highlights then go look at how many of them include him literally dribbling into defenders and getting a lucky bobble that allows him to retain the ball. A lot of his goals are also fairly ****e finishes that are straight at the keeper who then proceeds to inadvertently let in bundle in. These are two traits he's shown with us. They worked for him at Lille, level is a little higher here though so he needs to seriously kick on and not just gain confidence and adapt to the league but actually find levels he's not shown before in his career.
Even if some agree with you, he is still 3 times better than others when it comes to playing on the wing, yet he somehow ends up on the bench.
Btw, Gervinho was nowhere near him when it comes to dribbling, this guy has some insane skills.
I don't think any of us has a reasonable explanation for him not being default starter on the right wing, and with us being a bottom half team, none of our managers proved anything by dropping him from the squad. What's the plan here? Move him to the bench and waste 70m? It's not their money so I guess it's OK

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Could be clauses that get triggered based on the amount of starts similar to Oxlade when he was here.

progman07

Established Member
He looks like a player who hasn't adapted, and/or doesn't focus 100% on the game. I'm doubting his mentality, because a player who can dribble past 4-5 players with ease, or who can score two free kicks in a game should be asking the ball much more often, and try to decide games alone.

Some people call him another Gervinho, but for me he just needs a good psychologist and a confidence boost or extra motivation to become the player his talent dictates. When he picks the ball up in the centre, and runs 20-30 metres forward with it, I'm always curious why he doesn't do it much more often, he creates so much time and space for his teammates.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Are people under the illusion that he's playing any differently to his time at Lille? Looking at his actions it's basically like for like from what I can see. Difference is whilst the PL is doggers this season it's still not as bad as Ligue 1.

It's incredibly how much like Gervinho he really is. Looked amazing in France but just moved to England and stayed at that level and thought it would be enough.
1)He plays nothing like Gervinho. This is a stunningly lazy comparison that belies how little substance your appraisal actually has.
2)I doubt you've watched more than 5 Lille games in your life.
3)The Lille side he played in operated in an entirely different manner to either Emery or Arteta, so no, his actions are not like for like.
4)He's barely had a half season here, hardly enough to write someone off.
5) Every statement he's given about his struggles has indicated that he feels he is solely to blame and he intends to work hard to improve, which is hardly "staying at your level and thinking it will be enough".

GDeep™

League is very weak
Everything considered, he’s underwhelming. Even when you leave a window for this being his first season, ignore the price because that not his doing, give him months to adapt a little, bring him on slowly etc, he’s just not done enough despite all the little breaks you give him.

Next season he’ll be off to Africa in Jan so that’s an inconvenience in his second season development.

From the point of view of Raul, this looks a questionable outlay, that 80M could’ve sign two top young centre backs or midfielders.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

because a player who can dribble past 4-5 players with ease, or who can score two free kicks in a game should be asking the ball much more often, and try to decide games alone.
This is never going to happen though, if this is what fans expect he’s never gonna make it here.

When Özil was stinking up the joint I remember 50% of the board blaming the whole team, he was a record signing for us too.

MikeVinna

Established Member
He’d be a starter for me without a doubt. The one player we have with a bit of unpredictability. Can beat his man, has a decent work rate and a fine left-foot on his day. I really do believe he’s adapting to the league and a new team. Let’s be honest its not going to be easy when you come into a new club and play under 3 managers in half a year.

pacstud

He’d be a starter for me without a doubt. The one player we have with a bit of unpredictability. Can beat his man, has a decent work rate and a fine left-foot on his day. I really do believe he’s adapting to the league and a new team. Let’s be honest its not going to be easy when you come into a new club and play under 3 managers in half a year.
Pretty much this. The "Please Like Me" posters who basically belittle everyone and everything aside, it's clear that Pepe has elite talent and a very impressive left foot.

He will pay dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom