• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our Back Four

The organisation of our back four:

• Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Toure Cygan Campbell Cole

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lauren Cygan Campbell Cole

• Other?

• Total voters

patrick42uk

Established Member
Kyla said:
Ironically our attack (despite what stats say) isn't as potent as it was at times last season. I do think Kliuvert might be the missing link. As for Eto'o, what's his scoring tally like? Is it enough that he simply fits into our style of play or will he actually relieve the bulk that Henry scores (I will still maintain over-reliance unless Pires and Freddie start scoring for fun, although Bobby has been excellent recently)

does anyone here actually know that kluivert's goal scoring record isnt great? if you are looking for someone to relieve goal scoring pressure, he definately isnt the man. Its is trasnfer fee that makes everyone think he is right for us.

lewdikris

Established Member
1. Gooner Gurjit - I dunno how you can say that about the defence today. They gave away virtually nothing despite a very good opening by Villa.

Some people are just never happy.

2. Wenger's said himself, he'll play the people he thinks work in a particular situation. Keown and Campbell don't gel - Toure and Keown do, which is why they'll play together vs Boro on Tuesday. Cygan and Campbell do play well together - and they're the current first choice centre-halves, with Toure switching between right back and centre half according to circumstance.

As i've said before, we've never had so many decent defenders as this in Wenger's whole time here.... it's just making sure the specific line-ups work together.

The four today did great, no matter what others say. Lauren was composed - not that he was under much pressure - Cole was EXCELLENT, such an improved player, and Campbell and Cygan were totally in control.

D.Dappa

Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole.

I like that fact that we have pace spread across the line with this line-up, and extreme physical power through the center, what with Gilberto and Vieira holding in front. I think that Toure should be allowed to carry on playing at CB, and am sure he will be given his place back there when Cygan starts to fade away a bit, cus surely he cant go on for the rest of the season playing like this........Cygan will prove great competition to Keown as back-up..

Holla

reggiepaul

I like the idea of Toure-Campbell-Cygan-Cole and it seems to give some solid defending when our offence is weaker. Also I find this foursome have the thought processes of a concrete back four.

Lauren being good and capable was at times elsewhere and more attack minded rather than defensive. With the T-C-C-C back four there is this offensive thinking as a pushing back four. We move further upfield with Toure at right back than center half. Today Lauren was back and it was difficult for the boys to move further up and I can't see how the team would want to play a Villa team always knocking at us from outside the goalkeepers area. We're far more comfortable pushing forwarded with an offside trap further away from the keeper. Then either Kolo or Cole can run back for cover.

I just see more merits with the T-C-C-C and I just don't see the Keown of old in there anymore and Cygan has clearly surpassed him as a starter. Keown is still a brilliant back up though.

Andrew

Toure Cygan Campbell Cole

For now at least. Lauren has been poor this season. Cygan, apart from his lack of pace which he can't do much about, hasn't done much wrong this season. But I think Toure should remain at right back, because he can attack from there as well. But I think we might find that Toure is switched into whatever position we need a player in. He came on for Kanu and even played as striker against Villa!

Mark

Established Member
i don't want toure to just be a player filling in for others. he is such a good player and i felt so happy for him when he scored against leeds. he is becoming one of my favourites and i really want to see him as a permanent figure in this team as he is probably the best young talent we have.

Andrew

Mark said:
i don't want toure to just be a player filling in for others. he is such a good player and i felt so happy for him when he scored against leeds. he is becoming one of my favourites and i really want to see him as a permanent figure in this team as he is probably the best young talent we have.

Yes, he deserves to be a permanent fixture in the team. But I think he loves playing in every position. He looked really enthusiastic to play up front so I don't think he minds just as long as he plays. He's an outstanding talent who probably should be a regular in defence, but if we need him elsewhere then we can call upon him and he won't let us down.

Mark

Established Member
Andrew said:
Mark said:

Yes, he deserves to be a permanent fixture in the team. But I think he loves playing in every position. He looked really enthusiastic to play up front so I don't think he minds just as long as he plays. He's an outstanding talent who probably should be a regular in defence, but if we need him elsewhere then we can call upon him and he won't let us down.

fair enough, my friend. i do hope he does become a regular in our defence, although i must admit i am rather looking forward to seeing him play upfront. he'll probably excel in that position too and get a hat trick or something. :D

quattro

isn't he a regular in defence already? i'll bet that he was benched yesterday precisely because wenger thinks he can come in for a tiring kanu.

screw the january window. we got the biggest find of the season right here.

jc8gooner

Here's what another topic said.
I am very much in favour of Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole. This is not because I dislike Cygan, who has improved our defensive record since h has started every Premiership game since the Birmingham away game. He has played well and we do look more solid.
However, there are several reasons why I think we should stick with the original back four from the start of the season:

1) Kolo prefers to play CB.
2) I think Lauren is a good RB.
3) In away games I think we are less susceptible to conceding an equaliser having gone ahead- due to the great pace of this back four, there would be no need to defend as deep as we do when Cygan has been playing and we have been 1-0 up.
4) I think that the overall strength of this line up is key- Kolo can bring the ball out from the back, tackle, pass, go forward. Sol can be the defender- stay back, block and tackle and do not even attempt a pass more than 10 yards please! Lauren is very comfortable in possession and can pass well out of defence, as well as having a developed understanding with Freddie.
Ashley is not going to be replaced by anyone in the future and can just carry on playing as he does.

I must say though that if anyone was to get injured I would now plump for Cygan to come into the back line over Keown. If Ash got injured, it would be Clichy and I would not be worried by this either.

KoLo28

When we are in an attacking mood:

Kolo cygan sol cole

When we need to be more defensive:

lauren kolo sol cole

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom