• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Fulham | 12/08/07

Nutsy

Established Member
Fulham Overview:

Fulham have maintained Premier League status ever since their promotion to the top flight under Frenchman Jean Tigana in 2001. This represented a third promotion in just five seasons for the Cottagers and they have not looked back, establishing themselves in the Premier League.

Last season's 16th place finish was the first campaign where the club failed to finish between 9th and 14th position in the Premier League. In the 2005-06 season, Fulham's home form was the best outside the top six as they secured 13 wins from 19 games.

Manager Chris Coleman was sacked as last season neared its end, with Lawrie Sanchez taking over on a temporary basis. The former Northern Ireland manager steered the Cottagers to safety and was subsequently rewarded with the full-time job. Fulham are the oldest professional team in London.

Club Heritage:

The club was formed in 1879 as Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School. Fulham were founded by worshippers of the C of E church in Star Road, West Kensington. The church is still in existence today, with a plaque commemorating the team's foundation. The club's name was shortened to its present form in 1888.

Fulham started playing at Craven Cottage in 1896 and gained professional status on December 12th 1898. The club's first recorded all-white kit was worn in 1903 and since then they have played in a white shirt with black shorts.

Fulham's Premier League consolidation is quite an achievement in view of the lowest ebb of the 1990s. The club was relegated to the Third Division in 1994 and two years later finished 17th out of 24 teams.

But the appointment of Micky Adams as manager saw the Cottagers quickly promoted again, and two more subsequent promotions under Kevin Keegan and then Tigana earned Fulham a swift return to the top flight. With just 1,000 season ticket holders and seven full-time staff during the darkest days of the mid-nineties, Fulham's transformation is no mean feat.

Their training ground and Youth Academy can be found near to Motspur Park and was where Chariots of Fire was filmed.

Premier League History:

2000-01 - Club promoted to the FA Carling Premiership
2001-02 - Steve Marlet joined from Lyon for a club record £11.5million
2002-03 - Jean Tigana replaced by Chris Coleman
2006-07 - Chris Coleman replaced by Lawrie Sanchez

Last five meetings:

PL, 29-04-07 Arsenal 3-1 Fulham
PL, 29-11-06 Fulham 2-1 Arsenal
PL, 04-03-06 Fulham 0-4 Arsenal
PL, 24-08-05 Arsenal 4-1 Fulham
PL, 26-12-04 Arsenal 2-0 Fulham

Source of Information - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Direct Link

Thanks To RC8 who helped me in making this Match Thread. :)

The London Derby
What I thought ahead of the game, with Adebayor and Gilberto will still be out of the question in the starting line-up, Adebayor sustained an injury from training at Gilberto still in his post Copa America holidays.

I don't expect Arsène to start Eduardo just yet but may substitute him in the second half. I'd expect Robin Van Persie, although, despite his slight injury knocked during the Ajax Tournament to start and possibly Bendtner should he start a 4-4-2 Formation. Although somehow I can't see Bendtner to start off for this opening premiership game.

It would be difficult to confirm the starting Line-ups at the moment, but in my head would go :

Goal Keeper:

Jens Lehmann

Defenders

Emmanuel Eboue
Kolo Toure
William Gallas
Gael Clichy

Midfielders

Tomas Rosicky
Mathieu Flamini
Cesc Fabregas
Aliaksandr Hleb

Forwards

Robin Van Persie
Eduardo Da Silva / Nicklas Bendtner

Although starting off with quite the strong line-up, most of them may be substituted in the second half so that they will not be overly exhausted ahead of the Champions League Qualifier in the next next midweek soon. Therefore, Arsène starting off strong line-up to secure a goal or two and switched to defensive in the second to maintain the lead and winning the game altogether.

This should be a good win for us since the whole squad has developed confidence and their team unity has been astounding. after that physical win against AFC Ajax in the Ajax tournament claiming the Trophy, surely the lads can't waste that run of confidence by losing the opening Premiership game. In this case, winning this First Game not only vital for its Three points.

I wouldn't predict the Final Score, but I would predict a win for us. There's absolutely no valid reason for us to lose this game even though we have a bigger game to focus on against Sparta Prague in the Champions League Qualifiers. but the lads do need some game time therefore, it's possible for Arsène to field strongest line up as possible. Simply put not going to have free points this time.

Will be making a series of questions for the Fulham Fans Message boards ahead of the game, to view what they think of our clash. Will be confirmed to see the article at the main site a day or two before the game and will post here in the Forum.

Long Time Gooner

Looking forward to being there for this one. As usual the start of the season always has a buzz to it. Shame that it's on Sunday instead of Saturday because of the pathetic tube system.

It's funny how certain fixtures bring back particular memories. For me this fixture reminds me of something quite recent and yet which already seems a lifetime ago. It is Cygan scoring two goals and the crowd chanting his name. Quite surreal.

Already so very long ago - a team and a stadium which we shall never see again.

Lancelot

Established Member
Hi there Long Time Gooner. :)

First of all, what a marvelous stuff you and RC8 put together there, Nadz; can't thank you enough for a beautiful match thread like this. :D

Ahhh, finally, an opening of the new season of 2007/2008, I can't believe that a few months time could be this long.

I kind of expect that the line-up will be the same as in last season with everyone in his usual position especially the ones for Eboue, Hleb and Rosicky. It would be quite interesting to see if we can improve our ruthlessness in front of the goal and kill the game off early or not.

I know that Fulham are no mugs but it is a game like this at the Emirates that we should be cruising through.

A bit shaky performance with 2-1 scoreline, I reckon. van Persie and Eduardo "Dudu" da Silva nick one each before we concede from a corner due to lack of concentration. :D

kooldawg

Established Member
I think Wenger is ready to give sagna his first start.

And i also think that we'll see Hleb on the left with Eboue on the right and Dudu partnering RvP from the get go.

Hopefully it'll be a whitewash with us putting in 3 goals ;)

DC Gunner

Established Member
kooldawg said:

And i also think that we'll see Hleb on the left with Eboue on the right and Dudu partnering RvP from the get go.

Is Ade Match Fit by any chance !?

kooldawg

Established Member
DC Gunner said:
kooldawg said:

Is Ade Match Fit by any chance !?

I think he is injured and unavailable for the first fixture, he should play in the Champions league qualifier.

Gurgen

Established Member
My team:

Jens
Sagna Toure Phil Clichy
Eboue Cesc Denilson Hleb
RvP Eduardo

My prediction of Wenger's team:

Jens
Eboue Toure Gallas Clichy
Hleb Cesc Flamini Rosicky
RvP Eduardo

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I'm pissed because I'm going to be in Durham this weekend, plus I'll be in Dubrovnik (if it hasn't burnt down!) for the next home match, and the home leg of the CL qualifier, unless it's played on Wednesday night.

Bugger.

Meanwhile I'm pretty confident about this game at least, I think the boys will come out with something to proove early doors this season. Whether we can sustain it will, perhaps, be another matter.

I say 3-1.

No.8_Wright

Start like this and Eduardo will come on in the 2nd half and revert to a 4-4-2.

Goalkeeper -
Lehmann

Defenders
Sagna
Toure
Gallas
Clichy

Midfielders
Eboue
Fabregas
Flamini
Rosicky

Att Mid Centre
Hleb

Forward
Van Persie

M+D

Established Member
Yeah, I think that you're spot on with that team No.8_Wright, the only difference could be Eduardo in for Hleb imo.

Think we'll win this quite comfortably actually, Fulham haven't really strengthened, they've just bought lower league players who will have to adjust to the EPL quickly. We should be just a bit too good for them as long as we get a goal reasonably quickly.

sam961gunners

My Team:
Lehmann
Eboue Toure(c) Gallas Clichy
Walcott Fabregas Diaby Rosicky
v.Persie Eduardo

Likely team:
Lehmann
Sagna Toure Gallas(c) Clichy
Eboue Fabregas Flamini Rosicky
Hleb
v.Persie

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Fulham will no doubt sit back with two banks of four. They will try to get a goal through a long ball or off a set piece which is our weakness.

Its so predictable but then again it works on us far too often because we are predictable ourselves. We try to squeeze the ball through the middle because of the lack of winger and movement out wide and we are weak in the air.

Sammer

Established Member
I would start with this line-up:

Jens
Sagna Kolo Gallas Clichy
Eboue Cesc Flamini Hleb
RvP Eduardo

Mark

Established Member
I think we'll probably see this team:

Lehmann

Sagna Toure Gallas(c) Clichy

Eboue Flamini Fabregas Rosicky

Hleb V.Persie

1. Almunia 2. Bendtner 3. Eduardo 4. Denilson 5. Senderos

I'd rather we started two upfront, but I can't see Wenger rushing Bendtner or Eduardo into things, so we'll probably see Hleb behind RvP again, although I think I'd rather swap him and Rosicky around. Hope we see Eboue on the right ahead of Sagna. I'm guessing Gallas will be captain too, whether it's the start of a permanent thing or just filling in for Gilberto I still don't pretend to know.

Anyway, if we play two upfront I think we'll walk it 3-0, if we mess around with Hleb up there I think we'll still scrape it 1-0 or something.

Zico

Established Member
For a team like Fulham, I think Wenger can go with 4-4-2.

1) It will be important to instill confidence in the team by creating chances and having the ability to put them away. We will likely see two strikers up front. I think Wenger will want to avoid last August, where we tended to go behind against mediocre opposition and have to fight our way back for draws. Early goals could create the necessary momentum.

2) It is worth charging forward against Fulham. This isn't Liverpool or Chelsea who have formidable midfields. A midfield of Fabregas/Denilson or Fabregas/Flamini, though not as complete as Fabregas/Gilberto should be able to withstand most pressure.

I think we'll see the team that Gurgen suspects Wenger will use.

Mostarac

Established Member
Expect a 2-0 win for us of course. Importnant to get off to a good start compared to last season where we only drew with Aston Villa at home.

Bobo D. Clown

This will be an interesting line-up, if Edu or Bendtner start with RvP (which is what i'd like to see) it's a good attacking message, but the 5 man midfield in pre-season suggests AW may start with this and i think Eduardo will start this one on the bench.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom