• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Newcastle United | 30/08/08

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
arsenal20badgewm8.jpg
vs
newcastleunitedqf2.jpg

This will be a real test for us, anything less than a win wouldn't see us finishing above the top 2. Newcastle United are in good form at the moment after drawing at Old Trafford and getting a win over Bolton at St James. Can they get a favourable result against an Arsenal side featuring the great Eboue? Stay tune to this thread.

Predicted Lineups

Arsenal
Almunia
Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy
Walcott Cesc Denilson Nasri
RVP Ade

Newcastle
Given
Beye Taylor Coloccini N'Zogbia
Gutierrez Butt Guthrie Duff
Owen Martins

James

Established Member
Re: Arsenal FC vs Newcastle United | 17.30GMT | 30/08/08

If Arsène has any sense remaining, then Toure will be benched for this one again.

I can really see Newcastle frustrating us, and it finishing in a draw. 1-1.

banduan

Established Member

Is this at the Emirates?

We'll thrash 'em. But they'll hit some back.

Bring back the good 'ol 4-2's. 2-1 down 4-2 up.

stuart

Established Member

Not confident about this. I never am with Newcastle. They always end up frustrating us. We'll have to be on the top of our game for this one. Will be a good test for the lads.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

If we want to put in a challenge again this season, we must prove it against Newcastle.

qs

Established Member

On current form I can't see us winning this.

Jkreffer

Established Member

Not too worried about this one to be honest. We beat them comfortably three times at home last year and can't see why we won't do it again. Newcastle only usually pull out a result against us at St. Jame's Park.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

stuart said:
Not confident about this. I never am with Newcastle. They always end up frustrating us. We'll have to be on the top of our game for this one. Will be a good test for the lads.

Like last year, when we beat them 3-0 twice and then 2-0 in the Carling Cup, you mean?

We'll be alright. I'm going to this one. So, more importantly for Arsenal, is my girlfriend Jo.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

It's at home and gives us a chance to right the ship. Newcastle did well to hold ManU at Old Trafford so they can't be taken too lightly. I didn't see the Bolton game though. Newcastle haven't scored many goals, but then again neither have we. I want Wenger to keep Djourou at the back - drop Toure or Gallas, I don't care which but it will of course have to be the former. With Cesc back this game will give us a better idea of where we are at. (NB the game is on FSC 12:30pm EST for those in the States).

kel varnsen

Established Member

RocktheCasbah said:
stuart said:

Like last year, when we beat them 3-0 twice and then 2-0 in the Carling Cup, you mean?

We'll be alright. I'm going to this one. So, more importantly for Arsenal, is my girlfriend Jo.

last year, newcastle struggled for most of the season, while we were playing well for much of it. so far this year, we've been pretty much ****, while newcastle have played well. relatively speaking.

of course, we should still beat them, but i wouldn't be surprised if we drop points again.

IBL

Established Member

Newcastle have improved this season, Collocini and Guttierez (sp?) have made quite a difference. They conceded silly goals against Coventry in midweek but did dominate the game for large parts.

It's a tough one to call, ordinarily I'd expect us to win but I wouldnt be surprised if Toon took a point.

number_0

Established Member

RocktheCasbah said:
stuart said:

well they drew with us in the league in SJP where it mattered, I think the walrus was on a 10 game losing run or something, and they got their first point in a while against us.

banduan

Established Member

Yeh. I remember Ade's horror show that night.

Anyways, this is the Emirates, and it's quite unlike Ol Trafford. They won't hold us like they did Manure.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

kel varnsen said:
RocktheCasbah said:

last year, newcastle struggled for most of the season, while we were playing well for much of it. so far this year, we've been pretty much s**t, while newcastle have played well. relatively speaking.

of course, we should still beat them, but i wouldn't be surprised if we drop points again.

What's that word you like to use?

Oh yeah, irrelevant. I was responding to this:

stuart said:
They always end up frustrating us.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

number_0 said:
RocktheCasbah said:
stuart said:

well they drew with us in the league in SJP where it mattered, I think the walrus was on a 10 game losing run or something, and they got their first point in a while against us.

Why did that draw at SJP matter more than our win at home, which was later in the season?

I'm not saying we should beat them 5-0, I'm just saying that we're at home, Newcastle are away from home and I don't see much reason to be negative about this match.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1

Almunia

Sagna--Djourou--Gallas--Clichy

Theo--Cesc--Song/Denilson--Summertime

Bendtner/RvP--Ade

A good enough team to beat NUFC me thinks.

Arsenal 2 - NU 0

Nasri 1, Ade 1

algunner

I am just worried about our midfield.
Walcott Denilson Fabregas Nasri
Thats is 20 yrs old midfield. It will be hard to dominate any game but if we could master counter attacking we will be so hard to play against.

I would like us to have two holding midfielder.

........Denilson.....Song............

Walcott.......Fab...........Nasri....

................Ade..................

Don't play RVP he will get injured as usual should not play 3 times a week until he has proven he is injury free.

Lukazan

Established Member

Well I'm glad it's at the Emirates that's for sure. Our record against them at St. James Park is awful. Infact, before last season, our record against them anywhere in recent teams had been awful.

They've signed some handy players and Owen is scoring goals. I think this could be a tricky game, especially the way we are playing. We may have won 4-0 last night but Twente were so poor you can't take much from the game at all. I didn't think our play was up to much.

My heart says 1-0 to us, but my head says 1-1.

number_0

Established Member

I am confident about the team, we have some glaring holes in the squad, but we are not playing against kaka or drogba at the moment, aslong as the attack scores, it will relieve some pressure of the defence and we can play our game better.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup
Top Bottom