• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea vs Arsenal | 30/11/08

Feet

images
v
images

Still a few days till this one but I'm bored at work so thought I'd make the thread to pass a bit of time.

Another critical game and a London derby! Even though it seems we're out of the title race, we still need to be aiming to secure a CL spot for next season and more importantly we have to play and compete to restore our pride! Those two things should be motivation enough to greatly desire a win. Plus it's Chelsea, the bastards. ¬_¬

TBH, if you offered me a draw for this I'd bite your arm off at the shoulder.

Chelseas recent EPL form
L W W W W D

They missed a hatful against Newcastle, but I doubt that's something we should rely on.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Re: Chelsea v Arsenal | EPL | 30/11/08 KO @ 4pm

I think crucial question is who will be back from injury?
Sagna, Kolo, Nasri, Adebayor, Diaby, Eboue?
4 of those 5 would do :)
If Ade and Nasri are among those 4.

Feet

I think we can assume Wenger will go with a 451 formation atleast, what with it being away against the strongest team in the Prem right now.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Hopefully Nasri, Adebayor & Sagna are back.

----------Almunia---------

Sagna-Gallas-Djourou-Clichy

Wilshere-Cesc-Song-Nasri

-----Adebayor-Vela------

As much as i like Van Persie, we need more directness in our play, Wilshere, Ade & Vela offer that. Yes Wilshere is 16 and were playing Chelsea blah blah, but the boy fears no one and will offer far more than Denilson on the wing, we have nothing to lose by giving the lad a go.

I think were more likely to see this though.

Alumnia

Sagna-Gallas-Silvestre-Clichy

Denilson-Cesc-Song-Nasri

Van Persie-Adebayor

Gunner4life09

Wenger says Sagna, Ade and Nasri are 50/50

Any win would be great.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Thommybhoy said:
I think crucial question is who will be back from injury?
Sagna, Kolo, Nasri, Adebayor, Diaby, Eboue?
4 of those 5 would do :)
If Ade and Nasri are among those 4.

Ade, Sagna & Nasri are rated as 50/50 and the only ones expected to return.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

we really wont know more until tomorrow or friday probably... i would prefer if we got a few of them back too.. actually, would prefer if all of them were healthy enough... we cant start with the same team we just did against Chelsea and hope to get anything out of the game...

Simply - Arse.com doesnt really say much about the rest of them TBH.. they "could" be back, or at least on the bench.. who knows

Feet

Assuming those three don't make it back I think we'll see,

Al
Djourou Gallas Silvestre Clichy
RvP Fabregas Song Denilson Vela
Bendtner

However, if Ade is fit he'll play up front insteak of Nik. If Sagna is fit, he'll play RB instead of DJ. If Nasri is fit, I'd play him on the RW instead of RvP. Same formation though.

EDIT: This thread is waaaay pre-mature I know. Sorry about that, I'm trying to stave off boredom. :p

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

USArsenal said:
Simply - Arse.com doesnt really say much about the rest of them TBH.. they "could" be back, or at least on the bench.. who knows

Just going on what Wenger said, and he said those three are the ones that will possibly return.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

If we play 4-5-1 with Bendtner leading the line, then god help us all. Bendtner is not a target man that can lead the line on his own he needs someone ahead of him, i would have thought the last month would taught us that.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

Feet - the thread isnt way pre-mature.. but the possible lineups are since we dont have a clue who will be fit (lets hope many more are fit than v. Kiev)

I hope to God that at LEAST Ade, Nasri & Sagna are fit.. preferably even Eboue & Diaby.. Toure - well would be a bonus, but he isnt likely to start anyway...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

SimplyFabregas said:
If we play 4-5-1 with Bendtner leading the line, then god help us all. Bendtner is not a target man that can lead the line on his own he needs someone ahead of him, i would have thought the last month would taught us that.
oh, so agreed.. we have shown that Bendtner on his own up front doesnt work well.. especially with the pink boots :mrgreen:

Feet

SimplyFabregas said:

Oh I agree entirely, he's not got the pace to chase balls over the top (unless it's from a drop ball <____<) or the first touch and strength to hold the ball up to his feet, that much is clear.

Say what you want about Ade's first touch and poor run timing, he's far more effective than Bendtner at one upfront. With holding the ball up and he has the top-speed to get to the ones over the top, even if his acceleration isn't the best.

Assuming Ade is injured our only other striker option apart from Bendtner is Vela up front on his own. Which isn't going to happen. Unless Wenger does something nuts like playing Diaby or Ramsey up front on their own...

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Feet said:
SimplyFabregas said:

Oh I agree entirely, he's not got the pace to chase balls over the top (unless it's from a drop ball <____<) or the first touch and strength to hold the ball up to his feet, that much is clear.

Say what you want about Ade's first touch and poor run timing, he's far more effective than Bendtner at one upfront. With holding the ball up and he has the top-speed to get to the ones over the top, even if his acceleration isn't the best.

Assuming Ade is injured our only other striker option apart from Bendtner is Vela up front on his own. Which isn't going to happen. Unless Wenger does something nuts like playing Diaby or Ramsey up front on their own...

Why do we need to play 4-5-1?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

well, to be fair, if we play 4 in the midfield, we will seriously get overrun by Chelsea.. Essien, Mikel, Lampard, Joe Cole, Ballack, etc... no offence, but putting them against the likes of Denilson, Song, Nasri, Cesc, etc is a bit of a joke.. i think Chelsea's midfield has a LOT more "toughness" about them than ManUtd's did.. we could get overrun in the middle even IF we play a 4-5-1...

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Pfft i'd rather take a positive approach and take them on, instead of being cautious and trying to stifle them with numbers.

We need a win and all 3 points, a draw is worth **** now.

Feet

Well, I think Wenger will play 451. And tbh I'd agree that is the best course of action, given we're away against the title favourites.

More specifically we need to keep Lampard quiet and we need to keep possession of the ball as much as possibly. Five in the midfield enables that, even though it blunts our attacking options. Like I said in the OP I'd take a dull nil-nil easily.

Anelka has a pretty good record of scoring against us over the years, hopefully Gallas is up to the task of keeping him in his pocket. Having said that he couldn't keep up with Agbonlahor so... not much confidence to be gained there.

hackajack

Established Member

I'd fancy us for this if we had our full team out. I think Chlesea have been unimpressive this season despite the hoo-hah about attractive football from Scolari. Yes they've tonked some of the bottom teams away from home but they've managed draws with Sp**s, ManU and Newcastle and lost to Liverpool at home. In the two games I've seen of theirs in the CL against Cluj and Roma they were crap too.

Feet

They lost to Burnley in the CC recently too, hopefully Wenger will be watching the DVD of all those.

hesham

Established Member

We don't have any wide men to play a 442 really, nor the steel in midfield as US has said. As much as i hate it, i would rather see a 451 than Denilson and Ramsey on the wings.

Would like to see Nasri in the middle if fit.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom