• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | 26/02/05

Gooner83

hujja said:
Is it just me or does it seem that everytime Pascal get's the ball time just slows down?

That idiot's just too slow. Everytime a longball came in he was always outstripped by Crouch or Camara and was left looking like a total goof-off who hasn't a clue of what's going on. :x

time slows down when Senderos gets the ball too :roll:

_scorpion_

Established Member
Sure we do looked stretched as a squad, but a few observations just from the game today (otherwise this list could cover 10 pages):

1. Lemon - pack your bags son....thanks for the unbeaten season, but its over....I've seen birds flap less than you. I wanted Hilderbrand, I doubt well see him, so just cross your fingers and hope that we have sacked our goal keeping scout. I will finally bow down to the idea of giving Stu Taylor a run.....why not? We have nothing to lose really.

2. Toure and Sendros look like squad players - so we will probably need 1 first 11 CB to play alongside Sol....who knows?... with time, maybe they will improve enough to make the CB role their own (when Sol retires).....or we might just have to dip in the market when Sol retires.

3. We need a DM with experience in Europe and slightly older than Flamini , with a physical presence. GIlberto may or may not be 100% ever again, but with Edu gone and Vieria's good performances stretched, someone like Essien would be ideal.

4. RVP - why oh why oh why....??? Who do we use now?

5. Cole - We saw today why we NEED him. I'll admit , I thought he was expendable at 30 million (probably is really when you look at who we can get with that $$$), but we need him. So lets just give him the deal he wants. I think he could play LM with Clichy at LB in some games as an option.

6. Eboue -could be a better option than Toure at RB atm. I was never totally sure Toure could make the RB position his own, because he cant trick his way past defenders, even though he can physically outmuscle attackers. So we either need somone more balanced or we just use Eboue as a more attacking option and Toure as a defensive choice.

All up, I was over the whole winning the title thing way back when we dropped points against Man City. So I'm just quietly observing the younger guys and seeing who I think can or cant make it. I hope we just use the rest of the season to experiment. I think Eboue looks better than Hoyte from what I've seen so far.....so I hope his progess continues.

As for trophies - well the only thing that will really disapoint me is if Chelsea start droppoing points and Manure end up nicking it....that will mean our players missed a huge opportunity. I cant see us winning anything this year. I'm not saying this to just feel sory for myself, but that stats dont lie and this year, defensively, we have looked amaturish, immature and lacking in technique. The fighting spirit of some of our leaders in the side needs addressing too.

Spike

Established Member
Mark said:
The sending off could be exactly what RvP needed. He's gotten away with some nasty stuff a few times before now. Maybe this could be the start of some improvement to his attitude.

I think Toure needs a rest. There may be off the pitch problems bothering him as he just doesn't look happy out there. His confidence is low and he seems quite indecisive. Never a good sign. Eboue seems a very good RB. He impressed me in pre-season and he's impressing me now. He's better on the ball than Toure and Lauren and he seems a confident guy going forward. He wasn't really tested defensively today, but I'd like to see him get more games.

I don't think playing him on the right helped though, he never seemed comfortable in that position and he didn't really know what to do in the right wing back position, and it was shown by the poor crosses into the box.

I personally think he's better suited in the CB position.

Spike

Established Member
Also, I think Wenger may have played a Cygan - Senderos CB partnership because they had more chance of winning the aerial battle with a 6`7" basketball player due to their height.

Toure's only 5`10"; both Senderos and Cygan are taller in their 6 fts.

rachael-8

Just watched goals on sunday on sky sports,chris kamara kinda feels jens was unlucky,and now after watching the reply,so do i. As he is going for the ball and is about to jump,his left foot catches senderos' right foot therefore he couldn't get the spring that he needed. who knows if he would have got the ball though had he not got tangled with senderous.

as for v.persie :evil: :evil: WHY!?

Gurgen

Established Member
I don't understand where all this criticism of Kolo and Senderos is coming from. I thought Kolo was a far bigger attacking threat at RB than Lauren and he wasn't even caught out of position. Senderos I though did very well despite some minor slips, but in a 1-on-1 he is class.
Honorable mention goes out to Henry, who singlehandedly created about 5 chances in the 2nd half. His finished just isn't as clinical. I feel for him, because he'll have to work even harder now in the next two weeks.
What RVP did was stupid, but let's not exaggerate. He's young and these things happen. I remember a certain mr. Vieira getting 2 red cards in a row in 2000/2001.
Speaking of Vieira, his performance yesterday really pissed me off. All the tracking back was left to Flamini when he lost the ball so he could stand on the half way line and feel sorry for himself. Also he got a great shooting chance in the 2nd half and just when I thought he would do something right he produced this awful first touch that had 'I couldn't care less' written all over it. I'm really getting sick of his attitude.

pamilih

I was impressed by Portsmouth's defence against in-form ManU. There are a lot of good defenders out there. Why are they not playing for us?

Gurgen

Established Member
Spike said:
Just because he had a poor first touch doesn't mean he has a poor attitude. :|

Read what I wrote, it was the way he did it (and stood still after he lost the ball).

the dawn raids

Established Member
Jinn said:
JazzG said:
Another Jens Lehmann special there.......

But RvP has to take some blame here, when he was there Southampton looked demoralised and he AGAIN lost his head and gave them confidence.

Yeah, I agree. That was totally unnecessary and changed the game. I don't think I've ever seen our squad looking so decimated. And the players we have that are fit are playing s**t anyway.

yeah. he still hasnt shown he can control himself, which is quite troubling. he HAS to know we cant afford to lose him with no one else to partner Henry. looks like possibly Freddy moved up and Clichy on the wing?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
It just gets better and better, doesn't it?

Groundhog day. I don't mind teams and managers making mistakes, but when they fail to learn from those mistakes and keep on making them, well what can you say?

Again the Arsenal dominate but fail to kill a team off. Again, we're let down by an incredibly stupid player- yes Robin, you- and again we're talking about ANOTHER goalkeeping error.

I love my team, I love Arsène and I'm more than happy that we're third rather than 13th or wherever we were 10 years ago, but Arsène has to sort this defence and the goalkeeper out, otherwise he won't be feeling the love for much longer...

Turned yesterday into a right sh'tter of a day for me.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
It looked almost as if Lehmann stumbled backwards as he went out for that ball, which is why he wasn't able to jump. That's what it sort of looked like in the replay's, but still, it was his blunder along with Van Persie's stupidity that got Southampton back in the game. And lets not forget Smith the Southampton goalie, he pulled out a couple of superb saves.

Now why cant our goalie put in a performance like that! :cry:

I didn't like Toure at right back, he did a couple of nice forward runs, but the understanding with Freddie wasn't there, and it showed a couple of times when Toure played some through balls in and Ljungberg didnt expect it to come. I still prefer Lauren on the right and Toure in the middle.

We might as well put Cole as a striker the way he plays. He is such a star! Irreplacable.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom