• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Hull | 27/09/08

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Re: Arsenal vs Hull Player Ratings

Lets put it this way, theres not really any keeper playing now currently could have save it given the power of the ball and curls etc.

UNLESS

1) The keeper knows where the ball is going already, and just keep diving there to save in a training match

2) Theres a phenomenal keeper we do not know

Biggus

Established Member

No, lets put it this way- No top class goalkeeper should be beaten from that range.

If shots from 30 yards near the sideline can be so unstoppable why isn't everyone attempting it, has anyone asked Wenger "why the f**k are we wasting our time passing the ball 30 times in order to get it into the 6 yard box boss, the fellas on Arsenal Mania reckon if we shoot from the touchline no keeper- sorry no being- in the world can stop it".

tam1886

Established Member

It wasn't a run of the mill, average shot that anyone could have scored though Biggus. It's an early contender for goal of the season we are talking about here. It's easy to play down how good it was when you have such an opinion of the keeper who conceded it.

Webdesignlab

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
I guess it would have been nice to see Al fly to his right and tip it wide, but it did go right in at the far post where Cesc was positioned and couldn't jump high enough to get to it. Come to think of it, Cesc is a little short. Perhaps that's the real problem, not Gallas, not Touré, not Al.

If it would not have been a save of the century such as Spunkie's save against Sheffield Utd in the FA cup, it would have been save of the season. I don't think Al has been that bad - I was actually feeling quite positive about our chances this season - reality is a bugger ain't it?.

We're all doomed I tells ya.

True Gooner

Established Member

Theres no way Almunia could have saved that, I dont really blame him for either of the goals.

Kain

Established Member

I agree it would of been a big ask... scrap that a near impossible one for Almunia to save that shot but if you cast your minds back to the game (yea i know its painfull...) earlier on in the game there was a foul and i think it was Geovanni about 25 yards out shot the ball and it went over Almunia's head and in the net the Hull fans cheered sarcasticaly despite the ref's whistle going, so there was the slightest warning this could happen.

Its abit meaningless me bringing up that point but it wasent like we had not been warned he (Geovanni)could change the game, and on the hour mark he did just that.

If theres blame to be handed out for that goal it should be souly on the defensive cover infront of the back four which was non existant. Geovanni skipped past his marker into about 8 yards of space...8 fking yards with the ball at his feet in our own third of the pitch freely to shoot as he pleased, that is pathetic.

Webdesignlab

Established Member

Kain said:
earlier on in the game there was a foul and i think it was Geovanni about 25 yards out shot the ball and it went over Almunia's head and in the net the Hull fans cheered sarcasticaly despite the ref's whistle going, so there was the slightest warning this could happen.

What the hell was i doing right then? I completely missed that. Good point. Manny?????

Lukazan

Established Member

Biggus said:
No, lets put it this way- No top class goalkeeper should be beaten from that range.

If shots from 30 yards near the sideline can be so unstoppable why isn't everyone attempting it, has anyone asked Wenger "why the f**k are we wasting our time passing the ball 30 times in order to get it into the 6 yard box boss, the fellas on Arsenal Mania reckon if we shoot from the touchline no keeper- sorry no being- in the world can stop it".

In all seriousness this is probably one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in all my time on A-M.

I'll expand on why if you'd like me to Biggus, although I really hope I won't have to..

Biggus

Established Member

Don't bother Luka you've already demonstrated your "knowledge" about such a basic part of game such as goalkeeping and indeed reading and comprehension of english.

Biggus said:
I'm not blaming Al, the first was a great strike that would have taken a great save to stop.
But it was a long way out and that's what top class keepers do- they make great saves- Al doesn't.
That changed the game, without their first and a brilliant match winning save we may have gotten a second, we'll never know.

Certainly we'll never know how match winning saves will affect us with Al in goal.

Thats all I said and somehow it's been blown into an Al hating/defending thread. :lol:

Lukazan

Established Member

Biggus said:

Newsflash #1: Top class goalkeepers are beaten from that range.

Biggus said:
If shots from 30 yards near the sideline can be so unstoppable why isn't everyone attempting it

Newsflash #2: Players do. If not it's because they don't have the space or the ability to pull out unstoppable shots from such range. Players like Geovanni have that ability and can beat anyone. Take Almunia out of goal and place whoever the hell you like between the sticks, it's a goal everytime.

arsmile

Established Member

Biggus said:
Don't bother Luka you've already demonstrated your "knowledge" about such a basic part of game such as goalkeeping and indeed reading and comprehension of english.

Biggus said:
I'm not blaming Al, the first was a great strike that would have taken a great save to stop.
But it was a long way out and that's what top class keepers do- they make great saves- Al doesn't.
That changed the game, without their first and a brilliant match winning save we may have gotten a second, we'll never know.

Certainly we'll never know how match winning saves will affect us with Al in goal.

Thats all I said and somehow it's been blown into an Al hating/defending thread. :lol:

but it's still ultra harsh, as the fact that you're the only one arguing against half a dozen others would testify to!

the last statment is just a generalisation, and a 'match winning save' is vague also, and probably the wrong term. a 'match winning save' could be a routine scoop into the midrift...whereas the best save in the world would not be 'match winning' if you were already 6-0 up (sorry if i'm just arguing semantics here though- it's not the main bit of my point)

so half is generalisations based on very little, the rest is just speculation 'if al saved that (unsaveable shot) we might have won'. Well if clichy had scored a hatrick we would have won.

arsmile

Established Member

Biggus said:
If shots from 30 yards near the sideline can be so unstoppable why isn't everyone attempting it

because they can be unstoppable- so sometimes players shoot from that range.

usually they are not unstopable, so 'everyone' isnt always attemtping it- (also because some are less capable of it- that is why vanpersie tries to shoot more than sagna)

what you're saying is- well if ronaldo's freekick was unstopable why isnt titus bramble always scoring driect form his freekicks

Biggus

Established Member

arsmile said:
as the fact that you're the only one arguing against half a dozen others would testify to!

Oh its a democratic vote now is it? Who knows more about shipbuilding, a shipbuilder or half a dozen marshmallow makers? :lol:

arsmile said:
a 'match winning save' is vague also, and probably the wrong term. a 'match winning save' could be a routine scoop into the midrift...whereas the best save in the world would not be 'match winning' if you were already 6-0 up (sorry if i'm just arguing semantics here though- it's not the main bit of my point)

No its not it's very clear, If you want to see a match winning save see Spunkys V Sheffield U in the FA cup semi 03 at the theatre of screams where he clawed back a header from almost behind the line and we won 1-0.
I'm not blaming Average Al for not making them.

You can't blame your dog for not ****ting on the toilet.

arsmile

Established Member

Biggus said:
arsmile said:
as the fact that you're the only one arguing against half a dozen others would testify to!

Oh its a democratic vote now is it? Who knows more about shipbuilding, a shipbuilder or half a dozen marshmallow makers? :lol:

well, we may well be building a ship- and you may well be a ship- builder- but i know of majority of people that disagree with your snazzy idea for our new ship- at least one is also a ship builder, and most of the ones that arent, are at least in similar construction industries...one ship builder wants to put a big yellow crocodile on the top of the boat- the another couple of ship builders, a plumber, a carpenter, an iron-monger, an experienced ship-captain, and maybe a couple of marshmallow makers- that that this is a stupid idea- it will make the boat a laughing stock and make it less wind resistant.

i think it's perfectly clear what i'm trying to say there! (you're not the only one who knows what you're talking about (at least i do) so it's a flawed analogy)

Biggus said:
arsmile said:
a 'match winning save' is vague also, and probably the wrong term. a 'match winning save' could be a routine scoop into the midrift...whereas the best save in the world would not be 'match winning' if you were already 6-0 up (sorry if i'm just arguing semantics here though- it's not the main bit of my point)

No its not it's very clear, If you want to see a match winning save see Spunkys V Sheffield U in the FA cup semi 03 at the theatre of screams where he clawed back a header from almost behind the line and we won 1-0.
I'm not blaming Average Al for not making them.

You can't blame your dog for not ****ting on the toilet.

but then you cant blame a man for not using the toilet if he never had one installed.

ok that one's not quite so clear- al isnt as good at the spectacualr saves as perhaps lehmann was- but goalkeeping is about reacting best to what the opposition does- your 'match winning saves' combine both the significance of the prevented goal and the spectacularity of the save- opportunities like that coem round once or twice in a goalkeepers career- there hasnt been one for al- the reason he's ****ting on the floor is cos noone gave him a toilet.

al made a match winning save at bolton last season- it would have put us (3 i think) down and put the match out of reach- he made a wonderful save that initiated our comeback and our eventual victory- i suppose you selcetively forgot that though...!

dutchMasta

Well, it's not only because not everyone is capable of nailing a shot like that every time, but they rarely have the time and space to pull it off, especially in the Premier League. Plus, the majority of the time it'll be a right-footed player on the right wing and the opposite for the left, so cutting in and hitting a screamer with your weak foot makes it all the less likely.

Rosicky hit a similar one against Hamburg a while back, don't think anyone even considered blaming the keeper.

giuliob

Biggus, your analogies are getting stranger and stranger....Nazis, Casablanca, monkeys, organ grinders, and now ship builders! They don't work, they just jumble up the issues.......

Biggus

Established Member

arsmile said:
one ship builder wants to put a big yellow crocodile on the top of the boat- the another couple of ship builders, a plumber, a carpenter, an iron-monger, an experienced ship-captain, and maybe a couple of marshmallow makers- that that this is a stupid idea- it will make the boat a laughing stock and make it less wind resistant.

i think it's perfectly clear what i'm trying to say there!

Wenger wants to put a yellow crocodile on top of HMS Arsenal! :lol:

arsmile said:
for al- the reason he's ****ting on the floor is cause noone gave him a toilet.

That's quiet a mental image you've conjured. :lol:

mags said:
Biggus, your analogies are getting stranger and stranger....Nazis, Casablanca, monkeys, organ grinders, and now ship builders! They don't work, they just jumble up the issues.......

:lol: They're not supposed to go in the same thread never mind the same post.

Stop me if I'm going too fast for you Mags.

giuliob

Hey Biggus, your analogies are like cow flops all over the field....Step in one and you'll be in sh*t up to your knees....Hey, maybe you could use that one.. :D
I know these are desperate times for you but just take some deep breaths...

Biggus

Established Member

Well Mags cow pats are excellent fertiliser plants and flowers grow well from it, so maybe if I fling enough of it some good will come from it. :wink:

Be careful to stand well back if I do.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom