• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Portsmouth | 02/09/07

Lancelot

Established Member
ronitc said:
Having seen the replays Toure did play Kanu onside. However Toure was facing away from the line while Senderos was looking right across it so there is still some responsibility on his shoulders for realizing that Toure was not holding a straight line.
Yeah, I think both can be blamed for their failure to hold the line as they seemed to lose their concentration a bit at that particular moment.

@Biggus: No... We are the best. :D

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
Almunia - 8 - Did well when called upon and generally made good decisions. looks determined to keep Jens out. cant be faulted for Kanu's goal.

Flamini - 8.5 *MOTM* - This kid's workrate is stellar. he's not the quickest or the strongest but his determination makes up for any deficiencies. he played well on the overlap and contributed to the horrible day taylor had on pompey's left. Never stopped running.

Toure - 8 - was an absolute lion at the back. my only fault is that he played Kanu onside for their goal. he organized the back well and made some crucial tackles, especially in the second half. a real captain's performance.

Senderos - 6 - he played well prior to the red card. he was steady and snuffed out the high balls into the box. the red card was harsh.

Clichy - 7.5 - the boy is a fantastic player and has very quietly and very ably filled the void left by Cashley. he could be a little more patient in challenging for the ball and still has issues with positioning on defense but he attacks well and goes a long way towards compensating towards our lack of width in midfield.

Hleb - 6.5 - was outshined by the rest of our midfield quartet but that isnt a bad thing considering how well those guys played. was good in position and tried to pick out flamini on the overlap.

Fabregas - 8.5 - is developing an almost telepathic understanding with rosicky. the boy was a joy to watch and ran rings around pompey. showed great reaction for the goal and was always looking for the killer pass. its great to see him score often. lets hope it continues.

Gilberto - 7 - i thought he was steady in the middle of the pitch and allowed the other three midfielders to create. he was decent when moved to defense. hopefully, Gallas will be back for sp*rs, allowing bert to continue in midfield.

Rosicky - 8 - one of his best performances for us. showed quick thinking to score the goal and kept posession very well. if he can stay injury free, he'll be very very important to us.

Robin Van Persie - 6.5 - showed quick thinking to draw james into the foul and had some good link ups. aside from that, he was a bit quiet.

Adebayor - 7 - i think the red card sparked him into life. he chased and hustled and kept the ball well. he put pressure on pompey's backline. he's not at full fitness yet but this game has definitely helped in that department. needs to work on his left foot. if i see him try to flick the ball with the outside of his right foot from the left side again when a stroke of the left boot would suffice, i'll pull my hair out. nicely placed penalty.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
kaids said:
I can't believe most people here are giving Senderos above-average ratings. People talk about there being double standards about Senderos being treated more harshly than others, but to me it seems like it's the other way around. When Lehmann made the error at Blackburn he was crucified with ratings of 2, 3, 4 and the occasional 5 virtually across the board; what Senderos did today was worse and he gets mostly 6s.
Senderos did not cost us two goals and two points lost.
We would be leading the table, if it weren't for the points lost at Ewood Park.

Cheers.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
albakos said:

Cheers.
That's only because his teammates bailed him out.

DC Gunner

Established Member
kaids said:
albakos said:

Cheers.
That's only because his teammates bailed him out.

Still, phil did not cost us A GOAL, as for being bailed out, Jens' dope mistake against Fulham did not cost us only because he GOT bailed out.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
DC Gunner said:
Still, phil did not cost us A GOAL, as for being bailed out, Jens' dope mistake against Fulham did not cost us only because he GOT bailed out.
Well, you could argue that the goal Pompey scored later on wouldn't have happened had 11 Arsenal players been on the pitch. That's beside the point though; Phil get himself sent off (again) with 40 minutes of the match remaining, and that could have been a very costly error. That it wasn't isn't really anything to do with him.

And I don't see what Jens' mistake at Fulham got to do with this.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
kaids said:
Well, you could argue that the goal Pompey scored later on wouldn't have happened had 11 Arsenal players been on the pitch. That's beside the point though; Phil get himself sent off (again) with 40 minutes of the match remaining, and that could have been a very costly error. That it wasn't isn't really anything to do with him.

Hey mate, it was Lehman's error that cost us 2 (read TWO) points. TWO points are by far more costly than a silly red card.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
albakos said:
kaids said:

Hey mate, it was Lehman's error that cost us 2 (read TWO) points. TWO points are by far more costly than a silly red card.
Don't patronise me. As I've already said, the fact that Phil's mistake didn't cost us points yesterday is through no doing of his own; and it may yet cost us points in the NLD if Gallas fails to regain fitness.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was a bit surprised by the chances Diaby had on the front. Before Wenger said Diaby can play striker if needed, he certainly showed that in the Portsmouth game. However, his finishing needs some polishing though. Also Ade would need a MOT on his finishing if he can't beat Diaby's display on the front at the end of this season.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
I'll put these numbers together later. My EXCEL sheet is at my office, and I won't be in again until Wednesday, so the comparison will have to wait.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Almunia - 8

Flamini - 7
Toure - 7
Senderos - 4
Clichy - 7

Hleb - 6
Cesc - 8
Gilberto - 8
Rosicky - 8

Adebayor - 6
RVP - 6

Subs

Diaby - 7
Denilson - 6
Eduardo - 5

trisoman

Almunia - 6.5. Saved the crazy screamers they shot at him, and didn't do anything daft. I don't blame him for the goal - though it appeared that even Kanu didn't know about it. Or am I wrong? :p

Flamini - 7. Not Sagna, not Eboue, but did well enough and never caught defensively wanting. Not an offensive threat though. For a guy who was angling for a move, he sure is playing well and a lot for us.

Toure - 7. Did well, nothing to complain.

Senderos - 5. Never really seemed to come to grips with the game, and while the red card was harsh imo, it was a cap on a poor performance.

Clichy - 6.5. Did nothing wrong, but offensively offered very little, below what he would usually give.

Hleb - 5.5. I didn't see him in the game. Honest to goodness. I think he works a lot better behind the strikers, not as a winger.

Gilberto - 6.5. Not his best 'wall' performance. Perhaps Fab made him look anonymous, but let too much midfield get past in the 2nd half.

Fabregas - 8.5. Just kept going, kept plugging away, and rewarded with a goal that looked a little handballish. Nevertheless, excellent play and has officially become THE pivot of Arsenal.

Rosicky - 7. A bit of a fluke to the goal, but brilliant play and kept cutting in. Wish he'd shot more though.

RvP - 6. Shut down very effectively by Pompey. Penalty was... Clever, but couldn't offer much.

Adebayor - 5. Disappointing performance. Let too many wonderful through balls go, and didn't do the big striker role properly. Where art thou, Luca Toni?

SUBS:
Diaby - 7. Really played his guts out and was superbly unlucky not to score. We need to teach the boy to shoot.

Denilson - 6. Played well and looked comfortable.

Eduardo - NO RATING. Too short a time, and did nothing anyway. Looked potentially threatening, but no 4th goal for him.

A good performance, keep it up lads!

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Can someone post any ratings from the various news sources? I'll show their ratings side by side with our fan ratings.

banduan

Established Member
It's kinda intriguing, this red card issue.

When you have about a split-second to correct a mistake you and your team-mate made, should the following be going through your mind for consideration:
- there's 40minutes of the game left
- a red card would get you suspended for the next match and your team doesn't have enough defenders
- your team-mate is going to get there first
- the striker isn't fast enough
- your keeper is up to it

I think for a lot of CB's the main thing that'd go through their head is:
- oh **** we screwed up he's through on goal I gotta stop him

DC Gunner

Established Member
banduan said:
It's kinda intriguing, this red card issue.

When you have about a split-second to correct a mistake you and your team-mate made, should the following be going through your mind for consideration:
- there's 40minutes of the game left
- a red card would get you suspended for the next match and your team doesn't have enough defenders
- your team-mate is going to get there first
- the striker isn't fast enough
- your keeper is up to it

I think for a lot of CB's the main thing that'd go through their head is:
- oh s**t we screwed up his through on goal I gotta stop him
What do you think John Terry would have done !? :p

Probably the same thing since he knows that he "much like Rio" would not even be called for the foul, much less be Red carded :wink:

Biggus

Established Member
albakos said:
kaids said:
I can't believe most people here are giving Senderos above-average ratings. People talk about there being double standards about Senderos being treated more harshly than others, but to me it seems like it's the other way around. When Lehmann made the error at Blackburn he was crucified with ratings of 2, 3, 4 and the occasional 5 virtually across the board; what Senderos did today was worse and he gets mostly 6s.

Cheers.

We win or lose as a team. There will be plenty more points lost and gained before the season is over.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom