• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Questions from Redandwhitekop.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusion

Established Member
1. It’s been a funny start to the new decade for Arsenal fans; a fortuitous draw at home to Everton, knocked out of the cup by a ‘rampant’ Stoke and outclassed by Chelsea on Sunday. What are the staff and fans’ expectations for the remainder of the season?

I'd like to see the team rally themselves and put as much pressure as possible on Man Utd and Chelsea. I don't think we're going to be able to overtake both of them, but we certainly have a good chance of getting second place. At the very least the team should make sure that they are well placed to take advantage of any mistakes that the top two will make, don't let them run away with the league in comfort.

2. The last time you made a sustained campaign to win the Premier League, was arguably the year you last won it in ‘03/’04. What does the manager need to do in order that you can challenge again in ‘10/’11?

I disagree with the first part of the question, I'd say the last time we made such a campaign was infact two seasons ago during the 07/08 season. We were in control for a period and looked like the favourites until the catastrophic Birmingham game.

In order to challenge again in 2010/11 we need to change the way the players are coached defensively. By far and away our biggest flaw is the lack of adaptability and tactical nous. Wenger always sets out our team to play the same tactics and attempts to win 'our way', through quality attacking football. Unfortunately this does not work well when it comes to playing against the top teams in the league, who know all too well how to turn our game against us.

Of course we certainly need a new goalkeeper and I think there are other areas of the squad that need a bit of a reshuffle, although nothing drastic.

3. How has the loss of Van Persie affected your season?

It's certainly been the single biggest thing to derail our season. Although I don't believe injuries are a valid excuse, especially for us (we should be used to them by now and prepare accordingly).

The loss of RvP has dramatically hurt our attack more than any of us would have expected before a ball was kicked this season. He's grown into his new role so brilliantly that he's become as important to us as Drogba, Rooney and Torres are to Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool.

4. One of the classic footballing clichés involves Wenger and his youth development at Arsenal. A quick look at the Gooners’ squad shows the likes of Merida, Ramsey (I know he’s a product of Cardiff) and Gibbs having all impressed in some measure this season. Is this aspect of the side still what it once was, and are enough of the lads from the reserves showing enough promise to challenge for first-team honours?

Absolutely, some of the youngsters are showing tremendous promise and I fully expect several of them to become household names within our squad in the next 2-3 years. Gibbs and Eastmond are the two stand-out examples for me, as everyone already knew about the likes of Merida and Ramsey. Right now Gibbs is certainly our best left back due to Clichy's atrocious form and Eastmond has proven himself a good backup option to Song.

5. As I’m sure you’re aware, Liverpool has had its fair share of run-ins with its American ‘benefactors’ over the past couple of seasons, and it’s looking increasingly likely that Stan Kroenke will be forced to make a takeover bid for the club when (not if) he acquires 17 more shares in the club. How do the fans feel about Kroenke’s increasing shareholdings and its implications for the future of the club? (I’m expecting answers along the lines of ‘anything’s better than Usmanov’

I believe in a plurality of ownership and I don't think we need to be taken over. I don't think a takeover from Kroenke is necessarily inevitable, I believe he's buying up shares to protect his investment from someone like Usmanov rather than pushing towards a takeover.

He may well end up taking over the club and as far as new owners go, he doesn't appear to be a bad one. For me a takeover is not about how much money billionaires can pump into the club (this is highly unrealistic and rare), it's about how the new owner(s) will run the club when they get control. Will he demand more success? Will he start taking dividends? Will he push to increase the clubs worldwide brand and commercial operations? Will he saddle the club with debt?

If he runs the club the way it's currently being run, reducing the debt and increasing our revenue commercially then I don't really have a problem with Kroenke taking over.

6. Continuing the financial banter, Cesc is seemingly in and out of the broadsheets (there’s a Terry joke in there, somewhere) on a daily basis with stories of new contracts, renewed interest from Barca, and other such tittle-tattle. Do you have what it takes to make him stay? Is he irreplaceable?

We absolutely have what it takes to make him stay, although I think part of that has taken a blow in recent weeks with humiliating defeats to our closest rivals and a disappointing cup exit. Right now he's irreplacable, but in the long term I think we'll be alright, Ramsey was a very big signing and he should be able to step up to a similar level in time.

7. With Chelsea and our friends in Manchester running away with the top 2 this season, do you think it’ll be both Liverpool and Arsenal who fill the final two spots for the CL, or can you see City and Tottenham causing a fuss?

My pre-season prediction was Chelsea to win the league comfortably, with ourselves and Man Utd battling over second and Liverpool/City fighting for Fourth. I still stand by that prediction and I believe Liverpool will finish ahead of Man City.

It's a testament to how far behind the likes of Tottenham and City really are when you consider they have not had to deal with European football at all this season and they are still finding it difficult to snatch fourth.

8. How do you regard the rivalry between Liverpool and Arsenal? There doesn’t seem exist the vitriol that teams like Chelsea or United generate, and there isn’t the geography-based hatred that comes from being forced to share air with the likes of Everton and Sp**s.

I find there is a fair amount of mutual respect between our fans, I have quite a few friends who support Liverpool and I am happy to see Liverpool do well. Part of that is down to the hatred we both share for Man Utd and a recent dislike that has developed for Chelsea.

It gets harder to like Liverpool when you see some of the tripe posted on various forums about us, but all clubs have moronic fans so I tend to ignore it.

I think a large part of the reduced rivalry between our two teams is because we've not really been competing against one another for a long time.

9. Normally we ask who a particular team’s danger men are , but in this instance, I want to ask what sort of team you’d put out to beat us, and what sort of tactics you think Wenger will adopt.

Wenger will probably play the exact same team he did against Chelsea, with the exception of Rosicky coming in for Walcott. I don't expect Bendtner to start, but if he does he'll start in the middle and Arshavin will be out wide.

My personal lineup would be this:

Arshavin/Bendtner/Eboue or Rosicky

Diaby/Song/Fabregas

Clichy/Vermaelen/Gallas/Sagna

Mannone

The goalkeeper is a sore point however, we all know it will be average Al.

10. Last time we all met, it was an utterly depressing 2-1 to you guys. Today, you are Mark Lawrenson (don’t worry, it’s not permanent) - Predict the score – a chalk brick in Armoury Square to the winner.

I will have to go for 3-1 I think.

I do want to say 2-1 as I don't have much confidence in our strikeforce at the moment and we'll certainly concede with Almunia in goal. However, we showed positive signs of determination against Chelsea and I think the players are going to step up again for a big home game.

Kuyt or Gerrard to score for you.

Arshavin, Fabregas and maybe Vermaelen to score for us.

-

Oh and I must say I do like the cross-fansite opinion stuff, it works well.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
1: I expect us to not give up and just take it one game at a time. Its not over till its over. There are still plenty of games in the league left. I wont be expecting anything though.

I also expect us to make it to the next round of the CL, I think this team could make it to the semi final if things go our way.

2: Last time we made a sustained campaign was in 07/08. We bossed the league for a long time, we ended badly though, everything crumbled very quickly. We didn't have a good enough squad and towards the end of the season fatigue and injuries took its toll on us. And our back-up players did not step up.

Wenger is going to have a hard time keeping some of our "big" players, like Fabregas and Arshavin come end of the season if we don't win anything. That is going to be vital, keeping our important players and not selling like we did after our 07/08 campaign is going to be key. Also Wenger will have to add some quality and experienced players.

3: When you lose your main striker and such a key player like van Persie your bound to suffer. Especially when all your other strikers are injured, which has been the case for us.

4: Maybe a few, but that doesn't say much when we have the likes of Almunia, Denilson, Traore etc playing regularly. I haven't really been all that impressed by our youngsters. We have some good prospects, but nothing short term. Even the likes of Ramsey, I don't think will be ready to make a big impact for at least another year.

5: I wouldn't be against it. Like you say, anything is better then Uzmanov and I'm not particularly to found of Fizman.

6: Some fans here say no one is irreplaceable, but I definitely think Fabregas is. If he leaves were going to have to change the way we play. Its impossible to find another player like him. That doesn't mean we will be **** if he leaves though, there are ways to make up for it, but we would have to spend lots of money in the transfer window, and not only on one player to make up for the loss.

I think its vital for us to win something this year or at least challenge to the very end. Players want to feel that the club is serious about winning silverware.

7: I can see City making Liverpool work for that fourth spot, but ultimately I see Liverpool grabbing it.

8: I hate Liverpool with a passion ever since they cheated us out of the CL in 07/08. That was our year. I also despise diving and cheating and Gerrard Liverpools main man is a expert at it.

9: Its a must win game for us. We all know it, the fans, Liverpool and Arsène Wenger too. We will be playing to win it.
I'm hoping to see:
.......Nobody............
Eboue Gallas TV Sagna
.........Song...Diaby.........
Rosicky Fab Arshavin
.......Bentdner............

But you never know what Wenger could come up with, after picking Theo to start against Chelsea, he has me worried.

10: I think we will win it, unless Wenger ****s up big time with our formation, tactics and first 11. You guys aren't Chelsea or Man U and lack quality. You wont be able to exploit our fragile defence as much as they did. I wont go as far as to predicting the score though.

Abs

Established Member
Allright now fans are biased we know that. But I was just reading pools foum and one of them said Lucas is much better player than Song :shock: :shock: :shock:

MAK 14

Established Member
1. It’s been a funny start to the new decade for Arsenal fans; a fortuitous draw at home to Everton, knocked out of the cup by a ‘rampant’ Stoke and outclassed by Chelsea on Sunday. What are the staff and fans’ expectations for the remainder of the season?
Well, my personal expectations are that we don't give up hope on the Premier League and still try and win it. Although this may seem really unlikely to most people, we mustn't forget that there was quite a gap between us and Chelsea earlier in to the season too, and we managed to claw that back.

I'd also like to see us go as far as we can in the Champions League.

2. The last time you made a sustained campaign to win the Premier League, was arguably the year you last won it in ‘03/’04. What does the manager need to do in order that you can challenge again in ‘10/’11?
Wenger needs to improve in his tactics in certain games and add one or two players to the squad. If he does do those things, i think this team could be a strong force in the league next season, provided vital players of the squad don't leave.

He was in great form before he got injured, but not only that; he was our only real centre forward that fitted this formation perfectly. So losing him was a big blow, especially when you saw the game yesterday when he needed a proper centre forward badly.

4. One of the classic footballing clichés involves Wenger and his youth development at Arsenal. A quick look at the Gooners’ squad shows the likes of Merida, Ramsey (I know he’s a product of Cardiff) and Gibbs having all impressed in some measure this season. Is this aspect of the side still what it once was, and are enough of the lads from the reserves showing enough promise to challenge for first-team honours?
The likes of Ramsey, Gibbs, Merida and Eastmond have impressed me this season - for me, it's only a matter of time before one (or more) of those players become a first-teamer.

5. As I’m sure you’re aware, Liverpool has had its fair share of run-ins with its American ‘benefactors’ over the past couple of seasons, and it’s looking increasingly likely that Stan Kroenke will be forced to make a takeover bid for the club when (not if) he acquires 17 more shares in the club. How do the fans feel about Kroenke’s increasing shareholdings and its implications for the future of the club? (I’m expecting answers along the lines of ‘anything’s better than Usmanov’
Difficult question. I'm quite dived on the issue.

6. Continuing the financial banter, Cesc is seemingly in and out of the broadsheets (there’s a Terry joke in there, somewhere) on a daily basis with stories of new contracts, renewed interest from Barca, and other such tittle-tattle. Do you have what it takes to make him stay? Is he irreplaceable?
I think, even if we finish this season without any trophies once again, that's he's got at least one more season with us. And yes, the way he is playing at the moment for us makes him irreplaceable; he's the heartbeat of this team.

7. With Chelsea and our friends in Manchester running away with the top 2 this season, do you think it’ll be both Liverpool and Arsenal who fill the final two spots for the CL, or can you see City and Tottenham causing a fuss?
I can definitely see City causing a fuss - but not so much Tottenham, something (maybe bias) is telling me they'll fade away during the remaining games.

8. How do you regard the rivalry between Liverpool and Arsenal? There doesn’t seem exist the vitriol that teams like Chelsea or United generate, and there isn’t the geography-based hatred that comes from being forced to share air with the likes of Everton and Sp**s.
I definitely think you're the most likeable team of the top four (bar us, of course!). There's still some rivalry between us though, that's for sure.

9. Normally we ask who a particular team’s danger men are , but in this instance, I want to ask what sort of team you’d put out to beat us, and what sort of tactics you think Wenger will adopt.
Our tactics will be much the same as against Chelsea and Man Utd - he wouldn't change them now. I'd like to see Arshavin playing out wide for this game, because quite frankly, he's too short to play as the centre forward.

10. Last time we all met, it was an utterly depressing 2-1 to you guys. Today, you are Mark Lawrenson (don’t worry, it’s not permanent) - Predict the score – a chalk brick in Armoury Square to the winner.
I don't really want to predict a score because i can see it going either way. Ultimately, i think it'll depend on who's more up for it on the day.

Del Boy

Established Member
Abs said:
Allright now fans are biased we know that. But I was just reading pools foum and one of them said Lucas is much better player than Song :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lol funny coming from the same fans that said last season he was their worst ever player... :roll:

Muppets.

Del Boy

Established Member
We should also give a shout out to that weirdo on RAWK Juan Loco. He has an obsession with Arsenal. Either 89 has made him bitter for the rest of his life like Hansen or he was/is getting bullied by Gooners at school.

Loco indeed.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Staff expectations: make the CL/top-4 and progress to some more money in the CL. Fans' expectations: realistically - finish third and get knocked out of the CL by an English club. Anything idealistic shouldn't even begin to be entertained until this game is over.
2007/08 was pretty sustained too - as sustained as your lot last year anyway. Compete in 2010/11? In an ideal world: spend some money on a GK, a CB, a CM, and a forward who can play across the line; keep our important current players (or replace adequately if necessary); address defensive patterns and frailties. Even more ideally: have ManU and Chelsea continue or be forced to keep their wallets closed, relatively speaking.
Coupled with Bendtner being out for several months, Eduardo looking like (and often chasing in the box) a shadow of whatever he promised to be, Vela's continued injury-fueled and jet-lagged stagnation, Walcott's recurring star-role in 'Where's Walcott', and Arshavin's height, it's been a huge blow. Not Torres to N'Gog huge, but huge nonetheless.
There are no doubt some 'on the way', e.g. Eastmond, Bartley, but there always are. Gibbs was looking good until injured. We have high hopes for GK Roger Chesney (Wojciech Szczesny), but, again, he's only 19 (and on-loan) at a position where we desperately need help now not in some unicorn-filled future.
Kroenke is nothing like the mugs who are involved with LFC. We'll be fine in that respect.
He's not irreplaceable, though that's not to say we would try to replace him especially with whatever money we got. If he is thinking about going, I've no idea what it would take to make him stay. Sunshine? Siestas? "Pep" Guardiola? If he really wants to go, then let him.
We'll get one of them. I hope Villa gets the other. Next would be you lot. The two other choices don't bear thinking about.
In general, I dislike you. On match days I hate you. Remembering recent games where you got away with footballing-murder I really hate you. I want to throw Gerrard into a pool of poisonous and carnivorous starfish just to see whether or not he can fool them as well as he does referees worldwide.
I want Bendtner to start; we've missed having the option of someone with a bit of height. The rest of the team will probably be pretty standard: the usual back-four or thereabouts (though I'd maybe like to see Sol get a game), Cesc-Song-Diaby in the centre, Nik flanked by whatever midgets take Wenger's fancy. The biggest bone of contention would be GK. I'm not a huge fan of him and I can't see it happening, but I'd throw the gloves to Fabianski. What "tactics" will Wenger adopt? Good one.
I like the sound of the 2-1 being utterly depressing for you guys, so how about 3-1 to Arsenal?

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1

It's funny because we ****ted Everton 6-1 away and we did you guys 6-3 away a few seasons ago. Not much difference between red sh*t and blue sh*t.

Beat the other 19 teams week in week out.

It's still better than having Lucas in your team.

Arsenal 6 Liverpool 3. Shut the f*ck up already. Really.

What the f*cking hell kind of question is this? Phil Neville > Liverpool. Eat that.

We have Cesc and that might make Torres come here next season. Good luck with Denilson in your team next season. Denilson--Lucas. Powerhouse of the universe.

We're going to finish 2nd or 3rd. Everybody else beneath us will get the fresh taste our sh*t... including you.

A rivalry with you guys is like a snail in a 1 meter race against a rock. It's pointless. You are the snail and the rock somehow still wins the race. Double sh*t OMG.

It depends on how sh*t you want to be ****ted by us. Almunia up front will guarantee at least a goal against you sorry lot.

Arsenal Win Liverpool Lose. Best scoreline ever.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Needed an excuse to post this again:

o5dmb4.gif

;D
:lol:

The Chelsea/City banners in the background make it.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Herbert Chapman said:
Where the f**k did this come from??? , they're having a right laugh on RAWK :x
Ohhh noeee!

That comes from an exchange between AM and RC - <a class="postlink-local" href="https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39973</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redcafe.net/f7/arse-want-redcafe-meltdown-thread-276991/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.redcafe.net/f7/arse-want-red ... ad-276991/</a>

The image was done up by one of the Redcafe members. Pretty funny exchange - was in Abu Dhabi airport at the time and it kept me suitably entertained. I particularly like the way Redcafe take the piss out of their resident yid. Arsenal and Liverpool fans tend to get along much better than Arsenal and Man United fans, which tells you all you need to know about RAWK frankly. We've got a few Liverpool fans here (one is a Trusted Member) but no United supporters.

Which is why I ask if there isn't a better Liverpool forum for us to be pally with.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Needed an excuse to post this again:

o5dmb4.gif

;D

Made by ten year olds for the amusement of ten year olds? That is pathetic.

What little respect I had for the most over rated support in the World went out of the window when I saw that banner in the Kop making reference to Steau Bucharest and 1986.

An absolute disgrace.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
First I don't know how much you care about foreign Gooner's opinion, but I have some time so I'll answer this.

I'd say it hasn't been that funny for Arsenal fans, much rather painful and nerve-racking. I honestly don't know what to expect, I guess now getting 3rd place without much worry and doing well in CL would be good enough for me. Also it's crucial we don't lose any important players in summer transfer window.

He has to make some proper signings in the summer. This team only needs few new faces (developed winners) and getting rid of "dead wood". If we have 30m to spend, we need to spend it now.

Yep, definitely. Results point to that in very painful manner.

4. One of the classic football clichés involves Wenger and his youth development at Arsenal. A quick look at the Gooners’ squad shows the likes of Merida, Ramsey (I know he’s a product of Cardiff) and Gibbs having all impressed in some measure this season. Is this aspect of the side still what it once was, and are enough of the lads from the reserves showing enough promise to challenge for first-team honours?

I think there are quite a few players other than those just mentioned that can and most likely will make it at Arsenal players. My favourite is young Wilshere. He is now loaned at Bolton, if you haven’t heard about him remember his name now.

I don't know what to think about current board, there are many reasons to be unhappy with them. I don't know what to think personally about Kroenke. When it happens I'll worry about that, ATM we have far more worries in the team.
Compared to other owners Kroenke seems really good.

ATM he is irreplaceable and I think we can make him stay. Barcelona has elections this summer and of course Cesc is no1 election promise. So far I'm not worried. But again summer is still far away, many things can happen. But we must keep him and every key player (I particularly mean Gallas who has yet to sign) for next season.

I don't want to see either City or **** in CL. And I don't think we will.

I hate yids, chavs and manure, in that order, others I don't hate. Liverpool is in others group obviously.

Mannone-Clichy,Vermaelen,Gallas,Sagna-Diaby,Song,Fabregas-Arshavin,Bendtner,Eduardo.
IMO AW will play Almunia and Eduardo will not be fit so we will play Rosicky.

I don't predict Arsenal results. We must win and I really hope we will. It will be very tough game.

Emma Lusa

With your 'great' then 'terrible' performances this season who knows what will happen Wednesday. A`win for us and we could go on a great run, a defeat and the 'boo boys' will be out in force.

Get more money and spend it! in the end without cash you can't compete, sure all Liverpool fans know this.

Same as no Torres affects yours.

We have the best youth development programme and for sure more great youngsters are coming through, the problem is we lack experience and physically tough players not something most youngsters can provide.

Without money you can't compete, but with the 'wrong' money comes big problems just look at you guys and Utd. The problem is once he has control then we don't so you just have to hope he's one of the good guys.

No ones irreplacable he's a Catalan and has never hidden his love for his home town side, he has also said he loves London and Arsenal. Of course we need to challenge for trophies or he will go. On the same note should you miss out on CL Torres and Gerrard could both be away as you will need the transfer cash.

City for sure, the Spuds only in their dreams and Villa can't score enough goals, although if they beat Utd on Wednesday they will be right in there. We will finish third fancy City for fouth.

Never liked the arrogant way some Liverpool fans 'expect' success I think this is why when things go badly for you everyone celebrates your failure, also to be honest you are not one of the top two so beating you is not a big deal.

We only have one tactic, pass a lot and score goals, will be the same as always.

3-1 but what does Mark know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom