• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Robert Pires

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I'm absolutely staggered that in amongst all the threads bashing Patrick Vieira for the team's woes, staying Wenger should do this, he should do that, blaming a 20 year old for our defeat at Bolton. not one person has picked up on the fact that the footballer of the year 2002, RP7, played like a complete pansy on Saturday night. Couldn't control a pass, missed what was basically an open goal, just wouldn't show up.

Why he was left on the pitch for the full 90 one can only wonder, but when criticising Patrick Vieira for his recent displays, you might want to take into account that alongside a clearly tired Cesc on Saturday, Vieira and Ljungberg were overwhelmed by Bolton because they stood alone.

sabret00the

Established Member
i hear where you're comign from, theirs not enough bobby condemnation when deserved n here, but i think theirs alot of people on here who bash for bashing sake rather than criticise constructively so it's easier to jump on the paddy wagon than address the issues player to player.

Gurgen

Established Member
Bobby can't cut it anymore. We all knew this was going to happen, but I didn't expect him to go from majestic to crap in just one year. Though luck on our side as always :|

Sammer

Established Member
I have a problem with pointing out one player who is responsible for our crap performance on Saturday.

But oneteaminlondon is right: when critizising Paddy (who has to take the blame), you cannot forget the midfielders around him - especially Bobby.

It happened too many times this season though, that our midfield got overwhelmed by the opposition.
Next to Paddy basically standing around and watching a 17 year old battle with the opposition (this is how I perceived it on Saturday), there is no-one besides Freddie to help out. We can afford to play Bobby, when the rest of the midfield does the dirty work, in order to create the space he needs for his brilliant runs. But in these times, the composure of our midfield should be questioned.

marhes26

Pires was crap.He bottles out of tackles and makes you wonder how he will be when we play Utd in 2 weeks.

kanuuu

Established Member
Bobby needs to be dropped, one of the best players in the world imo, but playing like a complete muppet. No effort at all, deserves as much criticism as Paddy.

Mark

Established Member
While all this is true, Vieira is the captain and should really be leading the team better than he has been.

Both of these players should be dropped really.

Mark

Established Member
Pires replaced with Reyes, but good point all our central midfielders are out so I suppose Vieira will have to keep playing. I suppose this gives him a chance to improve. Let's hope he does.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
We have quite a few options for the wings, I've just heard Robert is "waiting" for a new contract offer but he's going to have to play better and work harder for it.

Mark

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how Wenger handles Pires' contract in comparisson to his handling of Lauren, Edu and Sol.

baccy_man

Established Member
part of our problem is that we do not have experienced players to make Pires. Vieira. and others fight for there places in the team they are getting picked regardless of how they have been performing.

Spike

Established Member
We need a replacement, not because he's not good enough, but because he's coming to that age where you can't expect much from him.

I'll be surprised if Wenger doesn't buy a replacement in January/Summer.

Gooner83

marhes26 said:
Pires was crap.He bottles out of tackles and makes you wonder how he will be when we play Utd in 2 weeks.

You do know he suffered a bad leg injury a couple years back.

towelie

yes, and its a terrible shame because he was my favourite player for a long time. i rock his shirt all the time, but i hate to watch him playing like this

he has it in him to put in performances like against chelsea but he just hasnt shown the commitment

i think reyes has been signed as his replacement, and can do a similar job while getting goals regularily. we dont need someone else there right now

I find Reyes more frustrating than Pires personally...the guy plays with his head down most of the time which means when he's about to lay on a pass the player it's intended for has now moved into another space...come on, we have seen that so many times from Jose...giving the ball away when in a promising position...and he shoots wildly for me...with the FA Cup goal vs Chelsea being the exception

I think Pires uses the ball much better and keeps our momentum going when we are on the attack...I watched the Bolton game and thought Pires started with real drive and purpose but then faded with the rest of the team in the 2nd half...I would still start him against United and let him draw fouls out of them as we all know he can in and around the box ;) Then bring Jose on with about 20 mins to go or so...

Unfortunately you are only as strong as your weakest link and I think our weakest links were Hoyte and Almunia on Saturday

awooga83

Established Member
I think Pires has lost some of his pace and so doesn't participate much in our breakaway attacks anymore, indeed we don't do these as often which may be because of pires's loss of form which is a shame. He scores more goals but isn't providing that incisive attack he used. I feel Reyes can do this and he hasn't been without his problems but hes young and Pires will only get older and his form deteriorate and Reyes helps out and the back more and can be a tenacious.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom